“Great Hotel”

Ranked #14 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed at the Four Seasons San Francisco for two nights with my husband and 17 month old daughter. The staff was very accommodating and the room was spacious and very clean with a great bathroom. We weren't impressed with the hotel restaurant (drinks not great, service not fabulous, menu pretty limited), but what the hotel lacks in restaurant, it makes up in health club. The health club/spa at the hotel (Sports Club/LA) is the best I've been to - got the best deep tissue massage of my life there. If you're from out of town, I recommend a trip to Sausalito, although skip the restaurants there. For good, authentic Mexican cuisine and fabulous margaritas, check out Colibri (5 minute walk from the hotel).

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

Great Hotel, very nice and comfortable rooms. Always a pleasure to come back to this hotel. FS standard, even if is not the best FS.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
San Jose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

This hotel is 'nothing' special. We have stayed in several Four Seasons property and we must say that this hotel has no 'wow' factor. The interaction with the staff is very limited. in fact the only person we saw was the doorman. Checking in was less than pleasant.
Directions to the hotel did not include the many turns to the back of the hotel. The lobby is on the 5th floor and nothing special. We had the premier room and while the room was large the decor was not impressive at all. Not all of the channels worked on the tv and the in room DVD player was defective.The view was good but I would say all in all the property is not worth the price. Hotel Vitale a better value and nicer property and less money. Would not return to this Four Seasons property.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SanJoseSkywatcher
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

While I have little complaints about the hotel and would happily go back, I agree with the previous poster that something was missing. It is not as if anything was poorly done, but similarly nothing was exceptionally done. The property seems much more like a condominium residence than, say, the Chicago Four Seasons which also has condos. I did not find this to be positve.

That being said, breakfasts and dinner were both very good. The rooms, while nothing particularly special, were of a completely acceptable standard. The location was very good. The staff was what you would expect from the Four Seasons - very good to excellent.

The gym is a huge public facility which I did not find appealing. I much prefer the intimacy of a smaller gym that is only available to hotel guests. The touches that you expect from the Four Seasons do not exist in this gym (such as fruit, juices, newspapers, etc.). As contrasted to Washington, Chicago or New York, I very much disliked this gym.

All in all, a nice stay but not a terribly memorable one.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Canadian-Beagle
St.Albans, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

We moved here after an awful experience at Hotel Monaco and were grateful to get in for the three nights we stayed. The hotel is located in the middle of SF on Market St, which was very central for all of the sights and good restaurants. I'm sure there are other more trendy areas of SF to stay, but this was ideal for getting to all the places we wanted to. Service was impeccable and reliable - all our requests were accomodated and we were shown a couple of different rooms on check-in. We found Market Street typical of SF - quite noisy - and it was nice to be 10 stories or so up - good view and relatively quiet. Rooms are not the most impressive of the FS I have stayed at but decent size and very acceptable. Public areas nice and bar okay but nothing special compared to other FS. Concierge hugely helpful and everything felt relaxed - what you pay for with FS. I'm sure there are plusher and more trendy hotels in SF - and possibly better value. But there are certaintly far worse in our experience and the FS did everything it says on the tin. You simply don't have to worry about poor room, poor location, poor service or stress. Solid but expensive - but you won't go far wrong.

• Liked — Solid service and good room, great location and relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — Price - as always!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ghwalker
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

I expected more from a Four Seasons. Yes the service was great, and the hotel is immaculate but I wasn't wowed as I would have expected from a Four Seasons. The hotel rooms were bland and decorated very business like. They were very clean and pretty but not spectacular. The staff was very attentive and the location was close to the convention center and shopping. We enjoyed our stay and cannot fault the hotel in anyway but it lacked the WOW factor. I guess you can say I was somewhat unimpressed.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Rooms were bland
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank dgely
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

First and foremost, Four Seasons Hotels are the best in the world. I've been to most of the Four Seasons properties in California. This time it was for my honeymoon. My wife and I drove up on a Sunday afternoon after having spent our wedding night at the Four Seasons in Santa Barbara. When we arrived to San Francisco property, we were so warmly greeted by the door staff. Check-in was a breeze. When we made it up to our room, we had an amazing view. Our room faced market street and we couldn't have asked for a better room. As soon as we settled in, we went down to the concierge desk to ask if there was any place for a quick snack since we had been driving and had not stopped to eat. The concierge staff was so knowledgeable and helpful right off the bat. They recommended us trying the food court at the Westfield Mall Just a block away. By far the best food court in any mall. The best part was, its not your typical mall food. No panda express here. Unique eateries of all sorts. This was just the first day. The wonderful staff continued to amaze us. Our second day we planned on seeing a concert at a local venue. The concierge helped us get tickets to the sold out show. have a cab waiting for us to drop us off and then pick us up. We were so happy of how they took care of us. Every day and every restaurant that they recommended was absolutely amazing. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone. I could keep going and going about how wonderful the stay was but i would rather people go check it out for themselves.

• Liked — The wonderful and helpful staff
  • Disliked — nothing at all. Zero complaints
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple