“Hotel is nice, location is bad!”
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #186 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Urmond, The Netherlands
“Hotel is nice, location is bad!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for two nights as part of our south-west USA tour.
The hotel itself is nice. Personell is friendly. Rooms are reasonable size, two king beds.
No breakfast, but coffee and tea is complementary from 7 till 10 am.

Big minor is the neighborhood! Also it is located near Union Square and lots of shops, but there are a lot of homeless people and drugs addicts on the street of the hotel.
We heard noises both nights, people yelling, trashing the garbagecontainers, etc.
While waiting for the taxi, to go to Alcatraz, one homeless man was yelling at us, calling us names. Maybe it's bad luck we had this encounter, but it's not quite the vacation spirit you are looking for.

Parking was expensive, 63 dollars for two nights.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Saskia-W,

Hello, thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel itself, but wish your overall experience had been better. Thank you for complimenting our friendly staff, rooms and the Hotel Metropolis. We hope in the future when in San Francisco you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Jaime

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed in this hotel alone. The staff were nice and the room was fine but the location is absolutely terrifying! Filled with homeless, druggies, home girls and guys trying to start trouble! One of the nights I was here I got back to the hotel about 7.30pm which at that time it was dark and the streets surrounding the hotel turn creepy! I ended up getting a little lost, which was scary on its own walking those dodgy streets but then I got harassed by some lady trying to start a fight. Thankfully I made it inside the hotel and felt much safer but still the noise carried on into my room... Yelling, screaming, loud music until about 3am! I had read the other bad reviews on this hotel and thought, meh I'm from South Auckland I can handle that but damn, wasn't quite prepared for that amount of creepiness! This place almost put me off ever wanting to return to San Francisco!
So would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone!! I just feel completely robbed of my money and dignity. Was a good feeling though to have left in one piece! Ha

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear J E M,

First of all I'm sorry that the homelessness issue in San Francisco had such a negative impact on your stay at the Hotel Metropolis. We are constantly working with local authorities and with our security guard to reduce the number of pan handlers whenever they are around the hotel. We really appreciate the feedback.

Warm Regards,

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I had booked this hotel at the last minute as I couldn't find anything else available for my dates and price range.
Firstly this hotel claims to be a boutique hotel near Union Square. It is therefore overpriced as it is actually a basic hotel with tiny cramped rooms a good fifteen minutes away from Union Square.
More importantly do not stay in this hotel if you think you will be upset and depressed by the poor and dispossessed congregating day and night immediately around the hotel. If you don't want to be kept awake by aggressive, drunken shouting and swearing outside the hotel and witness frequent drug deals and poor prostitutes trying to get business then stay somewhere else. I know these problems prevail in every large city and I spend the rest of my working year supporting people in such situations so I had hoped to get away from it on my expensive trip of a life time but perhaps I was being naive. However, I did notice that none of the other hotels I passed had similar problems.
On the positive side the staff were helpful but I do feel I was overcharged for the quality of the hotel and its unfortunate location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear PMT1231,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. We strive to provide great service and facilities, and as you can see from the many positive reviews preceding yours, we usually hit the mark. The majority of our guests love our location despite the problem of homeless in the downtown area, but I understand it may not be right for everyone. Despite the negative impact outside factors had on your stay I'm happy that you found our staff very helpful.

Burton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice hotel in the centre but if you wish to park your car in there car park then they want $37 a day! When hotels in L.A only charge $8! Shocking! The area the hotel is in doesn't look great either, don't feel safe going out the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawesje
Dear Dawesje,

Thank you for your contribution to the Trip Advisor community. I’m disappointed to hear that your stay fell short of your expectations. We are always looking for ways to improve our facilities and we appreciate the feedback. We hope in the future you give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Regards,

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel Metropolis is a well kept, clean hotel with very friendly staff, our room was clean and large enough to accommodate the 2 of us. The complimentary tea and coffee served in the lobby on the mezzanine floor was very much appreciated. The hotel is on the edge of a 'rough' neighbourhood however whilst intimidating at first we never encountered any problems, homeless people are in abundance in the area but despite the occasional request for change we were never approached. The hotel is situated very close to a major shopping mall and other shops, the cable car turnaround and Union Square, if you are staying here you will not need a hire car, San Francisco is a very walkable city and if you chose not to walk the cable car is the best method of travel to and from Fisherman's Wharf and many other attraction's. We enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would definitely stay again should we return to San Francisco.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jason P,

Thank you very much for your honest and comprehensive review of the Hotel Metropolis! It's a such a great compliment when we receive reviews like yours that take into consideration the hotel itself and do not let the homeless issue in San Francisco impact your stay at the hotel. I'm delighted that you found our hotel to be clean and well kept, that our staff was friendly and that you appreciated our amenities. We look forward to having you again as our guest in San Francisco!

Best Regards,

UK
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very clean and staff very friendly. We had a good sized room and the complimentary tea/coffee and wireless was great. The central location means you can pretty much walk around the city...no need for transport but the cable car turnaround is only a couple of blocks if needed. The hotel is also close to all the shops and restaurants. Although a little daunting at first the homeless people do not approach you. If you are concerned about homeless people don't go to San Francisco as unfortunately you cannot get away from them no matter where you are in the city.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Hayl7,

Thank you very much for your review and the high praise of the Hotel Metropolis! I'm delighted that you found our staff to be very friendly, the hotel to be clean and that you took advantage of our great location. It's nice to hear that the homeless issue did not have a negative impact on your trip to San Francisco and we hope to have you again as our guest in the future.

p.s. Nice profile pic!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

As we pulled up outside we all looked at each other in horror , homeless people all around. Got ourselves inside and checked in , even although we were much earlier than check in time we were warmly welcomed. Our room was clean and tidy , only issue was not enough hanging space for clothes and air con would of been nice but neither was a real issue.
We decided to go for a walk , had to pass these people again but as soon as we crossed the road ( no more than 50 feet ) we were clear and all fears put at ease. We came and went at all times of the day and night and were not once approached or harassed by the homeless . Don't let the position of this hotel put you off.
Desk staff were all polite , knew all the answers to our questions and sorted our return airport pick up with ease. Cleaners did a great job , nothing was too much trouble , thank you !!!
Nice bonus was free morning coffees / use of computer / great high speed wi-fi / daily newspapers and comfortable reading area.
If I return to San Francisco I would not hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SLloyd1969
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear SLloyd1969,

Thank you very much for your detailed review and for sharing your positive experience at the Hotel Metropolis. I'm very happy that you did not let the homeless issue in San Francisco impact your stay and that you found our staff to be polite, very knowledgeable and that our housekeeping staff was great! We look forward to you staying with us again!!

Best Regards,