Hotel Metropolis
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Bijou(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Axiom Hotel San Francisco(San Francisco)
Hotel Abri(San Francisco)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Zetta San Francisco(San Francisco)
Hotel Fusion(San Francisco)
  • Fitness centre
  • Pool
  • Pool
All reviewsfarmer brownsmarket streetpowell stationthe hotel is cleanclose proximitycable carfree internetvalet parkingbartprintercarssfo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

In the early month of June I decided to look into hotels for the the end of the month. I actually found that seemed decent enough and reasonably priced. Boy was I wrong, this hotel is probably the worst I've ever experienced in san francisco and I've stayed in some sketchy places. Let's start on the day of check in, I had my rates already given to me by the hotels.com and ended up asking about inconvenience fees everything seemed fairly priced but I had booked for 2 children and 2 adults. A few days prior I decided not to take the children only cause I thought the city would be too much for them so I took two adults instead. I called hotel.com to see if this was an issue. They ensured that this would not be an issue since the room I was booking for was a room for 4. I got to check in and told the lady I was there to check in and when she learned of the two adults she said on here it says two children and that was unacceptable and she had to change the price and it would be an additional 20 dollars per person per night with tax, which ended up costing me an extra 100 dollars on top of what I was quoted from hotels.com; when I told her I had called hotels.com and the ensured me that it would not be a problem. The lady's exact response was "SIR THEIR ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A ROOM SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE I'M GIVING I CAN EASILY RENT IT TO SOMEONE ELSE". I was absolutely mortified and embarrassed never had I had such disrespect from someone working in customer service. I myself work in customer service so even I know that is not how you talk to a client. So she "LET ME ASK MY BOSS BUT I DOUBT IT". So she turned to her manager which I didn't realize was standing there next to her the whole time and never but a stop to her dis respectful behavior. He must have not known I knew Spanish cause he told her in Spanish "OH WELL THEY ARE JUST GONNA HAVE TO ACCEPT THE PRICE. By this time I was really upset and went to talk to my friends about what should we do. At this time it was late we were tired and had no other option so we gave in. To my surprise such a horrible start to my experience the elevator was broken so I had to lug my luggage up four flights of stairs. Keep in mind you need a hotel key for the elevator and to get pass the second floor. When we got into our room it was the smallest room I'd ever been in I don't have issues with small spaces, but this hotel room i felt suffocated. You would have thought they would give me a bigger room since the knew of the adults and charged me extra. Again they ensured me there was nothing they can do and were all booked up. The closet small there ironing board and iron took up most of the room that only small back packs will fit. So all our luggage was in the room with us which made it even smaller. There is also no A/C in any of the rooms and if too much electricity is used your room will have a power surge and you have to go down stairs and tell them to flip the breaker back on. I decided screw it I'm just gonna go out to the city and enjoy myself. The next day I woke up and to my surprise there was another charge already on top of what they charged me for the extra people plus parking in which I also told once I park there are no in and outs which was $65 dollar parking fee. So here I am 220 dollars extra on top of what I learned about the booking rate and inconvenience fees. So I went down stairs to ask what all the extra charges are and she kept giving me the run around and kept telling me that, this is what she as authorized to charge so that is what was gonna be charged to my bank card. In the middle of me trying to talk to her, and explain to her that I had no idea of all these extra charges. I wish they would have told me every single thing when I checked in, I noticed her looking over to her boss and Co worker and she started screaming "GOAL GOAL". Her boss once again in Spanish said "GO OVER THEIR DON'T LET THE REALIZE WE ARE WATCHING THE GAME" At this point I was fed up and decide to respond in Spanish and said "I CAN TELL YOUR WATCHING THE WORLD CUP OFF YOUR LAPTOP IT'S REFLECTING OF THE BLACK SHINY WALL BEHIND YOU" I must made them nervous cause the lady shut me down quick so I would leave and the manager departed with his co-worker quick with his laptop in his hand. So while I'm sure other people in the hotel are having WiFi issues here they are streaming free WiFi while on the clock. By the way the manager name Jaime Gonzalez probably the most rude and unprofessional manager I've ever ran across. Now for my experience outside of the hotel homeless drug addicts are everywhere. Now don't get me wrong I feel bad for some people. But these people will come up to you with drugs in their hand begging you for money. One guy even had the nerve to say I looked rich and said god was gonna punish me for not helping out, when he clearly had drugs and alcohol in his hand and I forget to mention on the first night someone got shot right outside our window so we couldn't leave for 45 minutes till the cops cleared out. This place was a nightmare I'm glad the kids didn't come cause I'd rather lose money then scar my kids mentally from all the chaos around us. I wish I would have listened to this review and stayed far way as possible, and I've stayed in some sketchy places even hostels. But nothing will compare to how horrible this place is all around. I hope in reading this review it will save you the grief to not come here. I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Marcelino B
Reviewed 29 June 2014

stayed here for 4 nights, yes it may be older style but very clean and all you need. there are homeless people around but they are every where in San Francisco my daughter and I were NEVER worried, what makes this place a winner for us was staff member Abdallah Jammal nothing was too much for him he helped us every day with lots of information, fixed a problem we had in Australia, and is the best asset this hotel has. Would stay there again. Don't be put off by the area or the homeless people.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you Jill B, for taking the time to leave us your nice review. We are glad to hear you and your family had such a great stay with us during your visit to San Francisco. We are glad to hear that the area was not an inconvenience to you and your daughter. We will share your comments with our entire staff and specially with Abdallah, since he along with everyone else take pride in providing great service to our guests. We hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to this beautiful city.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The building was a little bit old, but the room was just fine and clean. I think it's a good choice for budget condition. The location is quiet good, except some homeless at night.

建築物本身有點老舊,但房間裝潢與整潔程度都還不錯。對於考量預算的旅行者來說是不錯的選擇,地點也很好,但晚上附近可能會有些遊民。

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Hearfairway,

Thank you for your recent visit and for taking a moment to share your review. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and you found our rooms clean and the hotel in a good location. We hope you to see you again in your next visit to San Francisco.

Luis Morales
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed here for a couple nights in May when I was travelling as part of a tour group. This hotel is in Tenderloin - an area in San Francisco known to have a large homeless population. This didn't bother me particularly but you have to be aware it's not as safe as other areas and we were advised (by both our tour leader, taxi drivers & people I met in other groups who had stayed here) not to go back to hotel alone, especially at night & if you were female, whether in a small group or alone. As I was in a large group this didn't cause us too much of a problem as we left the hotel together and made sure we met up as a group in the evenings to return together, or if not just paid for a taxi to the door, but it's something to bear in mind if you're in smaller groups or alone.

However, the hotel was good - friendly reception staff with helpful maps etc available. No breakfast option but free tea & coffee and there were cafés and well known chain coffee shops nearby. Easy walk to bus stops and cable cars, which we used to get down to fishermans wharf one evening. It's also a 5-10 min walk to Union Square which has the department stores and places for breakfast etc, we had a great lunch on the outside balcony at The Cheesecake Factory which is on the top floor of Macys. The hop on hop off bus stop is also located at Union Square which we found helpful as we did do one day on the hop on buses - good way to see the city if you're only there for a short time. The rooms were a fair size, free safety deposit box in the room which I personally find useful, and a fridge, hair dryer etc. some people may say the decor is slightly outdated but I found the rooms to be nice & bright & most importantly clean. It was a little noisy at night with the street outside but didn't disturb me too much. Would recommend staying here as long as you're aware of the neighbourhood, but it's a well placed hotel for exploring the amazing city of San Fran.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear KacieJG,

Thank you for leaving us your kind review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that you had such a pleasant time while with us and that you took the opportunity to explore our beautiful city of San Francisco. We are happy that you found the staff to be friendly, the amenities to be convenient and helpful. We appreciate you being a guest of ours and we thank you again for leaving such a nice review.

Regards,

Jaime Gonzalez

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a good one night stay at the Metropolis and felt that it was a good value. The location is very convenient to the Curran Theater, where we saw a wonderful show, and lots of great restaurants and other destinations. As other reviewers have said, the neighborhood is dicey, but with the help of Jaime and the front desk staff, as well as the security outside, we were able to navigate it without issue. The room was very clean and comfortable - a refuge from the city. Our only real issue was the noise at nighttime. We expected sirens and street noise (because it is in the city) but there was loud bass-thumping music until about 2 am from somewhere near the hotel. Overall, we had a good experience and I can recommend the hotel unwaveringly to anyone who is prepared for the urban environment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear misoholic,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and that we were able to exceed your expectations despite the homeless issue in downtown San Francisco. I'm sorry that the noise pollution did have an impact on your stay and we are currently looking at possible solutions to minimize the impact on our future guests. We look forward to having you as a return guest and feel free to reach out to me in for future reservations.

Regards,