“Good location but kind of insecure, nice rooms and friendly staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Metropolis

Hotel Metropolis
Ranked #184 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Monterrey, Mexico
“Good location but kind of insecure, nice rooms and friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I read All the reviews about the bums and location and decided to take a chance. It was just as I read, the hotel is just Walking steps from the shopping mall and unión square but on the edge of tenderloin( a dangerous hood) . The rooms were Clean and ok, we switched rooms because the bed was really unconfortable and had no problem with the staff, they were friendly and had no problems.

I think if I were to come back and are on a short budget i might stay again. If You are looking is to save some money this is the place.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jaime G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear melissa r,

Thank you for your review and that negative reviews about the area did not deter you from giving us an opportunity to exceed your expectations. I'm happy that we were able to resolve your bed issue quickly and that you found our staff to be friendly with no other issues. We hope you give us another opportunity in the future and please reach out to me directly when making reservations.

Regards,

Jaime Gonzalez
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The hotel is a block from the Powell Street Bart station so it makes for easy access from the airport. Scummy neighborhood so you always was to be conscious about where you and the kids are...but it isn't fear inducing. The plumbing in the building is clearly in need of repair (odd smells or sounds in the pipes sometimes) but the place is clean and the staff are extremely friendly and helpful (a shout out to Abdulah at the front desk who gave a great start to each day with his help and general friendliness). Wifi is a little iffy sometimes but it is free (you're offered a $ option which I guess is better but I didn't try it). I've stayed here before and will again. Two thumbs up for the location right there in the heart of things.

Room Tip: Try to ask for a quiet room. I don't know how quiet you can really get it to be because you are...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PatrickBear
Dear PatrickBear,

Thank you for your feedback and contribution to the Trip Advisor community! We are happy that you found our staff to be extremely friendly, helpful and your compliments have been shared with Abdallah. We look forward to having you again as our return guest!

Regards,

Jaime Gonzalez
Front Office Manager
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We are staying in this hotel, sorry but you can not fault the hotel or the staff, the staff have gone out of there way to helpful. Totally agree comfortable beds good size rooms we have interconnecting with our son's, it's in a really good location a bit noisy at night but so handy for every thing,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annia C
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you, Annia for taking the time to leave us your nice review. We are glad to hear you had such a great stay at our hotel. We are also happy you liked the location and the noise was not an inconvenience during your stay. We will share your comments with our staff and hope you will stay with us again soon.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights as part of a G Adventures touring group and loved my stay here. The hotel has a brilliant location, literally 2 minutes from Union square and all the main shops. Rooms are great, very comfy, spacious and clean. It's not a 5 star hotel but it does the job for a good nights sleep! I would highly recommend to visitors of San Francisco. I would return tomorrow if I could!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank JoshHumphreys92
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Josh, thank you for leaving us your 5-star review. It makes us so happy when people are excited about our property and experience such a great stay as you did. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share this visit with us and we are glad you had a nice time. Thank you once more for your kind review and we hope to see you soon.

Santa Barbara, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Rooms smelled terrible, musty/moldy and no air conditioner or fan to get the air circulating. Windows open but someone was smoking outside, so that didn't help. Cockroach ran out of the closet when I opened it.

After being in the room for 5 minutes, I left and found another hotel. Clerk still charged me almost $300, not sure if I will get a refund or not, the very unfriendly clerk says I have to call back in the morning to ask the manager.

The "fitness center" is 2 treadmills. That's it. The furnishings are old, decor is 1980's Southwest style, so old and dated. Scariest, most rickety elevator I've even been in. Also, hotel is in a terrible part of town.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura S

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Calgary,Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you are looking for an inexpensive spot to stay in downtown San Fran this may meet your needs. Its only 2 blocks from the BART, the trolley to Fishermans Wharf is one block over, and there is lots of shopping within walking distance. You do need to realize though, that the area unfortunately is full of street people, who are very noisy at night. I would not stay here alone as a single woman, and even with my husband we were quite cautious when walking in the evening. On our walk home this afternoon, we witnessed 2 people having sex in an alcove on the street - really not something we needed to see today! With respect to staff and the hotel, the staff have been friendly and the room is small but adequate for a couple of days. I doubt we would stay here again. I would never stay here with children.

Green Features: I'm not aware they have any. There are no recycle bins in the rooms, only the typical note about towels, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank wcurrie
Haiyi, Manager at Hotel Metropolis, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you, Wcurrie for being a guest of ours. We are disappointed that our property was not on par with your expectations and we sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We always like to know what areas we can improve, and we are happy to hear that you were happy with the rooms and you found the staff friendly. We deeply apologized about the street people and the noise around the hotel, which we are constantly working with local officials to minimize it around our hotel. We are also disappointed to hear that you will not stay with us again. We really hope you change your mind and stay with us again on your next trip to
San Francisco.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

In the early month of June I decided to look into hotels for the the end of the month. I actually found that seemed decent enough and reasonably priced. Boy was I wrong, this hotel is probably the worst I've ever experienced in san francisco and I've stayed in some sketchy places. Let's start on the day of check in, I had my rates already given to me by the hotels.com and ended up asking about inconvenience fees everything seemed fairly priced but I had booked for 2 children and 2 adults. A few days prior I decided not to take the children only cause I thought the city would be too much for them so I took two adults instead. I called hotel.com to see if this was an issue. They ensured that this would not be an issue since the room I was booking for was a room for 4. I got to check in and told the lady I was there to check in and when she learned of the two adults she said on here it says two children and that was unacceptable and she had to change the price and it would be an additional 20 dollars per person per night with tax, which ended up costing me an extra 100 dollars on top of what I was quoted from hotels.com; when I told her I had called hotels.com and the ensured me that it would not be a problem. The lady's exact response was "SIR THEIR ARE PLENTY OF OTHER PEOPLE LOOKING FOR A ROOM SO IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRICE I'M GIVING I CAN EASILY RENT IT TO SOMEONE ELSE". I was absolutely mortified and embarrassed never had I had such disrespect from someone working in customer service. I myself work in customer service so even I know that is not how you talk to a client. So she "LET ME ASK MY BOSS BUT I DOUBT IT". So she turned to her manager which I didn't realize was standing there next to her the whole time and never but a stop to her dis respectful behavior. He must have not known I knew Spanish cause he told her in Spanish "OH WELL THEY ARE JUST GONNA HAVE TO ACCEPT THE PRICE. By this time I was really upset and went to talk to my friends about what should we do. At this time it was late we were tired and had no other option so we gave in. To my surprise such a horrible start to my experience the elevator was broken so I had to lug my luggage up four flights of stairs. Keep in mind you need a hotel key for the elevator and to get pass the second floor. When we got into our room it was the smallest room I'd ever been in I don't have issues with small spaces, but this hotel room i felt suffocated. You would have thought they would give me a bigger room since the knew of the adults and charged me extra. Again they ensured me there was nothing they can do and were all booked up. The closet small there ironing board and iron took up most of the room that only small back packs will fit. So all our luggage was in the room with us which made it even smaller. There is also no A/C in any of the rooms and if too much electricity is used your room will have a power surge and you have to go down stairs and tell them to flip the breaker back on. I decided screw it I'm just gonna go out to the city and enjoy myself. The next day I woke up and to my surprise there was another charge already on top of what they charged me for the extra people plus parking in which I also told once I park there are no in and outs which was $65 dollar parking fee. So here I am 220 dollars extra on top of what I learned about the booking rate and inconvenience fees. So I went down stairs to ask what all the extra charges are and she kept giving me the run around and kept telling me that, this is what she as authorized to charge so that is what was gonna be charged to my bank card. In the middle of me trying to talk to her, and explain to her that I had no idea of all these extra charges. I wish they would have told me every single thing when I checked in, I noticed her looking over to her boss and Co worker and she started screaming "GOAL GOAL". Her boss once again in Spanish said "GO OVER THEIR DON'T LET THE REALIZE WE ARE WATCHING THE GAME" At this point I was fed up and decide to respond in Spanish and said "I CAN TELL YOUR WATCHING THE WORLD CUP OFF YOUR LAPTOP IT'S REFLECTING OF THE BLACK SHINY WALL BEHIND YOU" I must made them nervous cause the lady shut me down quick so I would leave and the manager departed with his co-worker quick with his laptop in his hand. So while I'm sure other people in the hotel are having WiFi issues here they are streaming free WiFi while on the clock. By the way the manager name Jaime Gonzalez probably the most rude and unprofessional manager I've ever ran across. Now for my experience outside of the hotel homeless drug addicts are everywhere. Now don't get me wrong I feel bad for some people. But these people will come up to you with drugs in their hand begging you for money. One guy even had the nerve to say I looked rich and said god was gonna punish me for not helping out, when he clearly had drugs and alcohol in his hand and I forget to mention on the first night someone got shot right outside our window so we couldn't leave for 45 minutes till the cops cleared out. This place was a nightmare I'm glad the kids didn't come cause I'd rather lose money then scar my kids mentally from all the chaos around us. I wish I would have listened to this review and stayed far way as possible, and I've stayed in some sketchy places even hostels. But nothing will compare to how horrible this place is all around. I hope in reading this review it will save you the grief to not come here. I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Stayed June 2014