“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Monrovia, California
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I really really liked this hotel. Room was delightful - comfortable and clean. Got a very good night's sleep in the room. Could open the window and hear the Opera next door. Great location. Nice staff. Good breakfast. If you need to be in the Civic Center, this is a great place to stay. Not a chain, but a one-off that is stellar. You can stay at the St. Francis or the Hopkins but you won't get a better room or a nicer stay for the money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
SeanPierson, General Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this review, 13 September 2011
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding your recent visit. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to San Francisco.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
La Quinta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Inn at the Opera has become our favorite spot to stay while in San Francisco. Hayes St with its shopping and restaurants is just around the corner. Opera is across the street. Two blocks to city hall, where we buy our MUNI passes for bus and cable car.

Employees at Inn at the Opera usually go the extra mile to help. They're very good about helping with bus routes. Their restaurant suggestions have most often been right on.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

Front desk staff were very friendly, knowledgeable about their hotel and the nearby environment and very prompt to respond to queries. The hotel was a little tired in a couple of areas but as a boutique hotel it was in character and had charm. The room was clean and comfortable and the bed was one of the best hotel beds we have experienced. The only downside is it's location in relation to downtown and all it's attractions however it wasn't a terrible inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Eureka, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

We were told we had received "an upgrade" so I would hate to see the room we were originally assigned. There were two very small rooms and a bathroom, and the set-up was rather awkward.
We received no housekeeping service until the fourth day we were there - we were in and out a alot so it wasn't a big deal, but it would have been nice to return to a cleaned up room. The continental breakfast was good - had great bagels and muffins.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
SeanPierson, General Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this review, 7 September 2011
I am sorry to hear that your overall stay with us wan not a good one, and wanted to apologize for the issues you encountered while staying at the Inn. as to the size fo the room (depending on which room you were upgraded to), you most likely went from a standard ballet studio room (average of 200 square feet) to a room that was larger (depending on which room, anywhere from 290-492 sq. feet).
I do thank you for your comments, and apologize again for the issues you encountered while staying with us.
Thank you.
NJ, US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

After a wonderful week in the sister property, Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, Hurricane Irene cancelled my return flight to NJ and the wonderful staff at SFW went out of their way to arrange a room at the Inn at the Opera at a discounted rate of $129 per night. I was clear that I was traveling with a friend, and we definitely needed two beds, or a bed with sleep sofa. Miguel, the manager at SFW, told me he'd spoken to the Inn management and they could provide a rollaway bed. I had been told we had a "Studio" room reserved, with mini-fridge,microwave, and coffeepot. So off we went, excited to be spending 2 days in a new part of town and in a property I'd not seen before.

When we arrived, the staff at Inn at the Opera stored our bags until the room was ready. They told me they did not have an available room with a sleep sofa, or with 2 double beds, but did have rollaway beds, and once again, I stressed to them that we definitely needed 2 beds. My friend and I went off to find lunch and adventure, and came back shortly after three PM to check into our room.

At the desk, I asked about the rollaway bed. The desk clerk told me that, sadly, they had given out the last one, but that the bed would be comfortable for both of us. When I asked why a rollaway wasn't held for us, as the reservation had been made on Thursday, 2 days before, he told us that no matter when it's reserved, it's on a first come, first served basis. After a hurried consultation at the desk, my friend and I went to look at the room, to see if we could survive the next 2 days comfortably.

What a shock when we walked into the room. The bellman who brought our luggage up could barely get all 4 suitcases in the room. The overall room size, including the bathroom, narrow entrance hall, and "kitchenette"(a microwave and coffeeepot on a shelf over a mini-frig, no counter or work space), was barely 160 s.f. There was a full-size bed (measured it...certainly wasn't a queen) and one small 24" round table jammed into a corner with a big lamp sitting on it and a chair in front of it. Other than that and the bed, no place to sit, no room to swing a cat! And even a mid-afternoon on a sunny day, with all the lights on, the room was distressingly dark. Even if I were traveling alone, I would not have stayed in that room. While I've traveled throughout Europe and understand the concept (and size and scale)of a European style hotel, that room was just...sad.

Twenty minutes later I had booted up my laptop, logged onto priceline, and found a four-star (The Omni Hotel, on California St in the Financial District) for $130 per night. I called downstairs for the bellman again, and when I checked out, I asked the front desk clerk where he was planning on putting the rollaway bed if one had been available, and he admitted that they knew there was no place in that room to put one. I think that was the most infuriating part of the whole situation for me. Not only had they misled and outright lied to me, but they also jeopardized the reputation of Miguel at SFW by allowing him to promise something they had never any intention of delivering.

Away we went. Twenty minutes later we were ensconced in a very beautiful and spacious room at the Omni with two queen size beds, a large desk, a table and easy chair, and plenty of light. Heaven, while we waited out Irene.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank NJ_ThursdaysChild
SeanPierson, General Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this review, 2 September 2011
I do apologize for the issues that were experienced while trying to check in with us during your recent visit to San Francisco, and unfortunately we were not able to help as much as we could. It was an unfortunate experience for you, and I am using your feedback as a training tool for my staff in these types of situations. While our rooms here at the Inn are small (our building was built in 1926, and being in San Francisco, rooms in older building tend to be smaller than average), we do take pride in our service and cleanliness. It looks like we missed with you, and again, my apoligies for not being able to accommodate you and your request.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Lovely friendly staff - all extremely helpful. Well situated - right by City Hall so downtown is walkable but plenty of buses running regularly.

Hotel was very clean, everthing there you would need, however the room was quite small, which is fine if your stay is a short one but would get a bit much if your stay was for a week or so. They do however have suites, so I would recommend that.

Breakfast was good!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed here for four nights in a suite. My kids were delighted by the two bathrooms and two TVs. The staff are friendly and helpful. I would recommend the hotel to all nut those with young children.

• Stayed August 2011