“Tiny but very serviceable”
Review of Inn at the Opera

Inn at the Opera
Ranked #104 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Extremely courteous staff from valet and check-in. We were a little surprised at how tiny the room was based the website photos but it was fine for a one-night stay and opera proximity. The bed was comfortable. The little tvs are fine but not HD so you have to switch the view to 4:3 if you don't want to watch it all stretched weird. They have nice products in the bathroom like coconut lotion. Everything worked, the fixtures and bed was updated and feels fresh and clean. There wasn't any kind of view from our room, just the gym next door. The continental breakfast was very good. Lots of fresh melon and strawberries, quick breads like muffins and banana bread. They had hardboiled eggs, bagels - freshly brewed coffees and teas. I'd definitely recommend this place, especially if you're going to the opera or symphony.

Room Tip: Get one of the larger rooms if you are planning to stay awhile.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our first stop in the USA! Our room was quite small, had to open suitcases on the bed, but that's because we paid for a ballet suite - expected. Very clean room, and fantastic staff! They were so helpful in providing suggestions of how to get around, what bus to take, and which areas to avoid.
Breakfast was okay, wasn't much left the morning we ate though.
Location was perfect though, right near City Hall, within walking distance to Haight-Ashbury and the San Fran Hop-On Hop-Off bus stops right outside the hotel.
Also the staff happily held our bags all day as we had an evening flight.
Great experience, and great first impression of San Fran!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

I had to book a last minute trip to SFO for a meeting. The Dreamforce convention was happening so getting a room was really hard. Fortunately for me I was able to get a room here. The staff is so very accommodating. I had arrived 3 hours before check in and they were able to get me into a room early. I really appreciated that!! Room was clean and bed was comfortable. The room had a great little kitchenette equipped with sink/fridge/microwave. Great continental breakfast - just a perfect little property. I would recommend The Inn at the Opera to all my friends visiting SFO in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was surprised that not many reviews comment on the sound coming from the adjacent rooms in this hotel. When I checked in, the windows were letting in street noise, but after the window latch was screwed in tighter, that wasn't a problem. When the couple checked into the room next door, every word of their conversation could be heard. Even with earplugs and the tv set on a static non-station, it wouldn't drown out the noise. I was moved to another room after calling the front desk late at night, and only heard the room across the hall when they had a telephone call on speaker phone and some light snoring in the room next door.Unfortunately, that room had the same problem at 4:30 am when the people woke up, and begin talking and checking out. On the plus side, the location is good, a short drive from the museums. The staff is friendly and concerned, and my car was parked by the valet and brought around efficiently. Check in and bringing my luggage up was smoothly done, and the room was nicely decorated in a traditional style, with deep bathtub/shower and a small shelf and chair for writing or having coffee. There was a mini fridge and microwave, plus plates, cups and silverware. Even an ironing board. One drawback was the phone didn't always work to send a local call, and there are no phone books in the room to get a telephone number, so the front desk told me to come down to the lobby to look up the number of a business on the internet. The computer was busy, so that wasn't possible, and cell phone service is poor in that area. Since I was not able to get a good night's sleep, I checked out earlier than planned and cancelled the next day's plans, hoping to drive home before I was too sleepy to be on the road. I was very disappointed in this hotel, but not much they can do about noise unless they remodel with sound barriers between the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TrvlingLite
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and were very impressed. We went to the 49ers game very early in the morning and the staff gladly held onto all of our luggage until we got back. San Francisco can be very expensive, so I REALLY did my homework when looking for a hotel. Our 'must haves' included a hotel with easy access to public transport and walking distance from great restaurants, bars, and shops, a very clean room, and something affordable. The Inn at the Opera met all of these requests and exceeded them!

This is the hotel for you if you are planning on exploring San Francisco, and looking for a cozy and clean place to come home to. The rooms aren't large, but they are just what you need. The price is truly wonderful - comps in the area aren't nearly as nice. The only thing to keep in mind is that while the hotel is in a nice area, some not-so-nice areas are close by so make sure you get good directions when walking home at night. Definitely worth staying here!!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room in the back so you don't hear the cars.
1  Thank Nurse_onthe_Run222
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I found the room charming and the whole building itself very charming. The restaurant downstairs is excellent and the included breakfast is a great addition with helpful staff. The walls are a bit thin and I was able to hear when someone walked up or down the steps but I wore earplugs, knowing I am a light sleeper. Not a big deal if you are out and about most of the day. The location is convenient to the Civic Center where you can purchase transit passes. The first night we walked through this area and it was a bit dodgy but we quickly figured out that the bus stops we needed did not have us walking through this area after dark. I was content with my stay at this Inn. If you are planning to attend the symphony or ballet...great location, hardly even a walk.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just finished a week at this marvelous, charming hotel near the Cultural Center in San Francisco. The staff couldn't be more wonderful. The food in Plaj, their Swedish Restaurant couldn't be better, and the service was perfect in every way. I can't recommend this stylish, yet charming and intimate inn enough.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back as construction nearby at the War Memorial is sometimes noisy on the w...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo