“Very average”

Inn at the Opera
Ranked #96 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

To be fair to The Inn at The Opera, I had just come from the best hotel I'd ever stayed in immediately prior to arriving in SF from Sydney, Australia, but first impressions of the area and the hotel itself were a massive let down. Especially as there was little disparity in price.

The walk along Grove from the BART station on the Sunday morning that I arrived was an eye-opener to say the least! Down-and-outs everywhere, several appearing very disturbed, some with Tourettes... Anyway, let's say I didn't feel safe.

I got to the hotel to be told that check-in is 3pm and could I come back later. This is fair enough, but after a 14hr flight over the international date-line without sleep, it wasn't the best thing. I left my bag and went for food at The Grove on Hayes (recommended) and then walked up to Alamo Square, where I sat for a bit. On returning at 3, I was given a keycard to my room. Thankfully, my bags had been put in my room ready for me.

When I got to my room, I was immediately disappointed but incredibly tired. The "compact" size of the room - it was just big enough for the bed and my suitcase, the tiredness of the decor and the lack of a view through the small window were only really apparent once I'd woken up. It was at this point I wasn't sure whether to stay the full 4 nights or to check out there-and-then and go for one of my second choice hotels. As I'd already paid up-front via an online travel company, I decided it would be more trouble to leave and decided to make the most of it.

I suspect, reading other reviews and looking at pictures on here, that some rooms are better than others, and I was unlucky to be given a particularly small room and one that hadn't been updated in some time.

The complimentary breakfast (with gratuity slip and pen provided - Welcome to America) wasn't up to much if you don't like having massive amounts of sugar and weak coffee in the morning. I only bothered the once, given that there are several cafés and coffee shops nearby.

To give them their due, the staff were friendly, but seemed a little disinterested in guests.

The area felt less intimidating with people going about their daily business on weekdays, although as a solo traveller, I would have felt much safer in the Fisherman's Wharf area. It was well situated for bus and tram routes to nicer places, though. The 3 day visitor MUNI pass was my saviour!

It ended up that I spent most of my time out of the room sightseeing, only using it as somewhere to crash. It didn't put a massive dampener on my first visit to SF but I will stay elsewhere as and when I return.

3  Thank Bri77_UK

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I haven't even made it past sitting in the lobby trying to check in, and I am ready to give my review. I arrived early and was told my room would be ready either right then or three hours from then. Since then I have waited 30 minutes to get an answer as to which of those choices it would be because the maid was 'busy in other rooms' and couldn't check. Talking to the manager has been about as effective as talking to a pug dog- she just has a pained and irritated look on her face no matter what you say (sorry pug lovers). It's obvious she feels she is doing me a HUGE favor by thinking about getting my room ready early...but seriously? Most hotels I stay at can get me an answer as to whether a room will be ready in under 5 minutes and it is NOT considered a huge favor. The hotel itself is a hike from the BART- not easy with luggage. I hope to God the room is decent- if it is not, this will be dropping to a one star review. Otherwise, it is unlikely it will climb past this two star review. Unless there are complimentary diamond earrings sitting in the room for me. That might make up for the poor customer service.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Dragonlady15
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This amazing Hayes Valley area of SF is a super place to be. Can not wait to return to this area. My stay at the Inn of The Opera was less than stellar. The front desk service remained consistently aloof. The staff came across as people who did not exactly "love their job". The room I stayed in was in need of a good make over and super cleaning, although surfaces were ok, it was certainly not immaculate. Bed was comfy, but other furnishings were old ish and barely making it. Request for a fan on a very hot day was granted, but the fan was full of dust :(
Will probably try another Hotel in this area next time.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel was very conveniently located for my needs. Service was friendly and mostly efficient. Facilities were comprehensive and room size was adequate for my sole use. Overall I enjoyed full value for the price I paid. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I wanted to stay in a unique hotel that met our expectations, but also didn't break the bank. We were incredibly happy with our stay at the Inn a the Opera. I know the hotel offeres different types of rooms. We stayed in one of the Studio rooms on the 5th floor. We walked into a beautiful room! Robes were waiting for us on a hanger. There was a small fridge in the corner with a tiny kitchen counter. In the kitchen drawer there were eating utensils and a wine opener. We also had a coffee pot in our room. The room was clean every day when we got back and it satisfied my wife (who has very high cleanliness expectations). The staff at the front desk always greeted us when we got back and that was nice. They also offered a great continental breakfast each morning! If we ever visit San Francisco again we will only stay here.

Room Tip: We loved our Studio room on the 5th floor. We attached a photo.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

If you like bland tower hotels with standard rooms, this might not be the place for you. If you are charmed by a tiny, old-fashioned elevator and rooms that remind you of staying in a friend's guest room, then you will love the character of this nice hotel, conveniently located right by city hall and within walking distance of a bunch of great restaurants and cool shops.

When I return to San Francisco with my wife, I look forward to bringing her to this excellent value!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan R
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Inn at the Opera in March 2014 for five nights. We were anticipating a nice inn according to everything we had read and with Interval International it is considered a premier resort. I would not categorize this as a premier resort at all. It fell so far below our expectations and I would not recommend this place unless you like to stay in a hot box. Perhaps because we are from the East Coast we aren't used to a hot hotel. They tried to accommodate us at first by giving us one of the larger studio suites which faced the street so if you opened the windows it was extremely loud and the outside lights to the resort stay on all night so your room looks like a Christmas tree even with the blinds shut. The room was also so humid and smelled badly. We asked to move which they kindly did but moved us to a worse room. I had asked to see the room before we switched but was told that was not possible, the front desk clerk said the windows were different but that was all she said. They moved us to a 7th floor room which was more of a hot box and apparently in San Francisco the windows only open a few inches so there was hardly any air flow . In addition my husband got very sick and needed his linens changed and the management gave us the hardest time about that. It wasn't until the housekeeping supervisor came to our room that we were able to get our sheets changed. She was a big help. I will say that my daughters had another room and it was much better than ours. Overall we were very disappointed . We travel quite a bit and this place just did not meet our expectations at all. On a positive note the breakfast was very nice every day and the front staff overall was very friendly.

Room Tip: Choose room 27 not 28 and not rooms on higher floors unless you don't mind being hot no ac and w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Vbmom2014
Devin F, Manager at Inn at the Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate your nice words about our Housekeeping Supervisor and some of our other Associates. One of our greatest assets are the people who work here at the Inn - I will share your kind words with them.

I know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when you go on vacation and you did not receive this. Please accept my apologies. We will take your comments to heart and improve where we can.

I thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your stay.