“Pick another hotel...:/”

Layne Hotel
Ranked #201 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Pick another hotel...:/”
Reviewed 10 September 2011

if you are looking for the Hyatt, Best Western or even Motel 6 in this hotel...keep looking. From the "traditonal" male mentallity front desk man...who checked in a male customer before me "a female" even when the man walked in after me to don't bring anything bigger than a backpack or you won't be able to fit in the elevator, you won't be able to bring your bicycles, they do not have any where to store them and don't expect to watch any tv other than local channels. Granted this building I over 85 years old, it wouldn't take much to make this a quaint and nicer hotel....I would not recommend this hotel....I stayed because there wasn't any others to chose from in this area.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank crazyone11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Myself and my husband booked this hotel on a last-minute-bargain-hotel-room type website, after struggling to find a reasonably priced room in San Fransico at short notice. We foolishly booked 3 nights at $200 a night (the cheapest we could find after an extensive online search!). For that price we had certain expectations of the hotel, which left us bitterly disappointed when faced with the sad reality.

We were greeted by an elderly gent, who seemed rather hard of hearing, and proceeded to take 20 minutes to book us in (despite the fact we'd booked online). He clearly had very little idea of what to do, and my Husband found himself giving instructions (somewhat in vein, as the man didn't seem to be listening). During this 20 minutes, existing guests were ringing the doorbell to gain entry (you don't get a key to the building which is permanently locked - probably due to the number of beggars in the street outside), these guests were being ignored as the man did not seem to be able to do more than one thing at a time. Again my husband had to repeatedly draw his attention to the disgruntled guests waiting at the door. The door situation in itself was very irritating as it is COLD in SF, we also found ourelves waiting to be let in, while a member of staff finished what they were doing before acknowledging you shivering at the door and being harassed by beggars.

So already it didn't bode well for Hotel Layne. We headed up to our room in the "charming" antique elevator, but were told firmly that although it was ok to use it with our cases, we were to use the stairs at all other times. Fair enough. Our room was up 4 flights of winding stairs - the stair areas were filthy, the banisters simultaneously sticky, greasy and dusty. Our room, which had set us back $200 per night was not much better. Very tired decor (not the end of the world), plastic venetian blinds which were bent out of shape and therefore not providing much privacy from the huge window directly opposite (and within arms reach). After opening the useless blinds (which were in an even more unfortunate state than the banisters), we found we had a wonderful view of a metal stairwell, a grimy brick wall, and the aforementioned window. On the plus side, the bedsheets seemed clean (though I would expect a duvet for $200 a night!!!), the bathroom was also clean and the room had a TV, microwave and fridge. Unfortunately, on cleaning my teeth, it became clear that the sink was blocked, and not letting the dirty water go down. We informed a young guy on reception on our way out that afternoon, who said he would sort it. I do believe that he tried, as the plug hole did it's job on one occasion after that, but it quickly went back to being blocked - this was obviously an existing problem. I found myself having to spit my toothpaste down the toilet - totally gross (but not as gross as having it floating around in the sink for the duration of our stay).

The location itself is not the best - it is right next to the Tenderloin area, which the guide books advise visitors to avoid. We actually found ourselves wandering down the wrong street on our first evening and it was very intimidating. There wa also a high proportion of beggars in the vacinity of the hotel, which I have already mentioned.

In short, this hotel is NOT good value for money AT ALL. You will pay premium hotel prices (admittedly a reflection of the city itself), but receive hostel quality.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LillyWilko

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I wish I would have checked this site before I made my reservation. What amazes me is how many decent reviews this place has gotten. Unless your only other option is sleeping on the streets, I would stay away. I can honestly say I would have given this place a 2 star if it weren't for the bed bug bites I discovered the next day. I got bitten 8 times on the back and didn't discover it until I got home the next day. I am now paranoid that the bed bugs hitched a ride in my clothes and or luggage.

Outside of the bedbugs, the hotel felt extremely run down and dirty. We had a room without a bathroom, so we had to rely on the community floor toilet. It is literally a single toilet that services the entire floor. I was extremely thankful that our room at least had a small sink. As you've also read, the continental breakfast is a joke. Sunny D and a cheap prepackaged pastry is what you will get.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jared G
Montreal
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I stayed 6 nights in Layne Hotel and I liked it ! Great location, good services. The staff was very nice and the room decent for the price I paid (charming old fashioned elevator !). The only negative point is that you have to pay extra for the Internet.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Simon C
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2011

modest but clean and well priced rooms in the heart of downtown. Good service, highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 March 2011

The hotel could look nice and in a good position, but it is actually one of the worst hotels I've ever been to. I stayed there 6 nights,
• There were BEDBUGS. I notified it to the management and they did not care about it. They also suggested that I was clearly wrong, even when I showed them the bites.
• Breakfast is very cheap. When i asked if they could provide some fruits in alternarnative they refused.
• Staff is available for information but they clearly do it just because you paid.
• The elevator was broken and I was on the 4th floor. In six days there was not any sign of trying to fix it.
• Other little inefficiencies: it took them 2 days to give me another key, bathroom's door was broken.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank etu35805
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2011

After reading all the reviews about this hotel, I thought it would be a good idea to stay here. I was WRONG! I think the reviews are written by the owners. Here is the truth about this disgusting uninhabitable hotel.
- it is run by an unfriendly Indian family who don’t care one bit about customer service and are only after your money. They didn’t even have the courtesy to say greet us whenever we entered or left the hotel.
The good things
- the room is big
- 24 hour concierge desk open
The bad things
Where to start? Firstly the location is not the best. It is on the backstreets of The Tenderloin. Depending on how much you want to see beggars on the streets – that’s up to you, but we felt uncomfortable. Daily there were police cars stopping in our road at 3am, really don't get much sleep in this hotel. In addition it is right in front of a massage parlour.
The hotel lift says it is out of service but it is NOT. They simply don’t want to pay for maintenance. But it does work, don’t be fooled.
The lobby area is in need of a complete redecoration the carpet is filthy.
The continental breakfast does NOT exist. You have to ask the lady at the lobby for tea she will make it herself and then give you a disgusting old pastry. This was so humiliating, it felt like we were school children. I cant understand why they cant open up a room and treat us like adults to make our own tea.
The bedroom:
The bed had fleas/bedbugs.
The linen was dirty – there was blood on it from the previous customers – absolutely disgusting.
The towels were ripped and dirty. They were circulated from one room to another without being washed (there was hair from another person on ours) ,
The one time they did ‘clean’ the towels they put them in bleach. This was intoxicating. We could not use them, there was such a strong smell of bleach, it was suffocating. They do not have washing machines in this place. A little Indian lady carries the towels on her tummy and washes them by hand.
The bathroom sensor light doesn’t work.
The TV didn’t work.
They have removed the additional lighting in the ceiling to save money. The room was dark.
Finally don't pay them a penny for the internet service - there is free Wifi anyway. If you have a Wifi device, turn it on and use the free net that San Fran has to offer.

This hotel needs shutting down. Don’t waste your money or be fooled by the positive reviews. Go somewhere else. I sincerely regret staying there. They wouldn’t offer us a refund. The man at the desk even had the cheek to ask for our passports as a deposit. Absolutely unacceptable!

**I WISH I COULD GIVE IT NO STARS**