“Great food and atmosphere ”
Review of Starbelly

Starbelly
Ranked #403 of 5,834 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Castro
Description: Starbelly is a casual and friendly neighborhood restaurant in San Francisco's lively Castro District, just blocks from The Mission, the Lower Haight and Duboce Triangle. With a menu of forward-thinking, California comfort food, supplemented by craft beer, wine and creative, wine-based cocktails, Starbelly offers something delicious for everyone. Expect a laid back atmosphere, complete with a cozy, year-round patio, and a large communal table that flanks the bar. Starbelly offers hearty meals for brunch (7 days a week), lunch and dinner - served late, and perfect any time of the day.
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The service was very attentive and with good sense of humor. We spent the evening in the outside patio. It was not cold at all- the gas heaters did it. Gazpacho was excellent, so was the pate with bread, do not miss them. Rare medium burgers were fantastic! Would definitely come back.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took two of my friends out to dinner tonight to console them (their car was stolen last night) and they picked Starbelly because they knew it would be a great meal. I had not eaten there before, but I was very favorably impressed. Food was extraordinary, service was impeccable, and the prices were pretty good for a San Francisco restaurant. I had a veggie burger that was made from quinoa and peas, and it was pretty darn good. (Most veggie burgers taste like dog food to me, so I have learned to set low expectations, but the Starbelly veggie burger was actually enjoyable to eat.) We had wonderful appetizers and you can get wonderful bread with olive oil for $2. It was rich and earthy and absolutely perfect. Our server was gracious, friendly, and attentive. Only complaint is that the restaurant was crowded and we had to sit at the "community table," a long table with barstools. That table itself wasn't too crowded, so we had a pleasant dinner, but the barstools were not comfortable for a 90-minute dinner. When I return, I'll come earlier when we can get a regular table. I've been to every restaurant in this part of the city, and Starbelly is easily in the top 20%. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Enjoyed the delicious veggie burger, the glass of wine and the service at this quaint little restaurant.
It was great to get a feel of the local vibe and eclectic crowd.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have tried this restaurant two or three times. The service is terrible, the food disappointing, and the last time we went, we waited so long for menus and water that we left. I've given it a few chances, and I habitually give restaurants a few chances before writing them off. This one is beyond help. A friend who lives in the neighborhood confirms it's not worth the time or energy.

1  Thank marabel100
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Restaurants in a city like SF fall in and out of favor pretty quickly, but Starbelly's been around for awhile and it's as good as the first time I ate there. Brunch, lunch, dinner -- each menu has its stars and they're all delicious. Sit in the patio if you can, but eating at the bar or the communal table can also be a fun experience. Their pizzas are great, and their own take of a loco moco is totally satisfying. And the cocktails -- terrific! I'm not really a sweet mixed drink kind of person -- just give me a dry martini every time! -- but they make this cocktail called The Other Demon and it's perfect: lemon, cocchi, kina l'avion, and a charred jalapeno syrup make for a super combo of flavors. Always a great experience here at Starbelly!