“Could have been great” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reno, Nevada
“Could have been great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

I arrived on a Saturday evening. A friend called ahead to find out where I should park and I was instructed to park in the performing arts garage. As there was an Opera the evening, there was a line of cars entering and I entered along with them. I missed the signs that said it would be closing and locking my car in until the next day after 11:00.
I arrived at Hayes Valley Inn and the first thing I was told was that they didn't know I was bringing a dog. I assured the girl that I had indicated I was bringing a dog. I am not dumb enough to try to sneak in a 75 lb dog. She knew who I was due to my friend calling ahead for parking instructions. I informed her I would be leaving at 4:30 am for an event and confirmed the process for leaving the key as the office would not be staffed at that time.
The room was nice, I felt safe, and the night was eventless. The next morning however, I left, leaving the keys in the office and locking myself out. I arrived a block away at the parking ramp and my car was locked in. Icouldn't even get to it. I called the number listed on the building and after being lectured about not reading the sign, was told for $80 they would send someone from Oakland to open it. That person never arrived and I ended up sitting on the street for the next few hours. I coldn't really go anywhere because I had a large dog with me. A self proclaimed "ex felon" spent the majority of the time hanging around me. A nice gentleman did offer me money, apparently I looked homeless sitting there.
Eventually, I missed the event I had come to San Francisco for. I spoke with a nice 911 operator and police officer when the "ex felon" tried to shake me down for money. I'm certain it would have had a worse outcome if I hadn't had a dog to deter him from anything more and the cop agreed. I ended up going back to the Hayes Valley Inn under police escort and got back in to my room and went back to sleep and warmed up. The gentleman who was there when I returned was very kind. I got my car out after 11:00am
First, the directions to park in that ramp were horrible, even If I wasn't planning to leave so early.
Second, the customer is always right. Even if I did think I cold sneak in a 75lb dog, don't act like I didn't indicate it when I made my reservation. That's the main reason I stayed with you.
Third. I told you I was leaving early in the morning. You gave the instructions for me to park in that ramp. I realize you don't really care about me, but you could have told me that I wouldn't be able to get to me vehicle that early in the morning.
If it wouldn't have been for that girl giving poor information and being rude, I would have given this an excellent.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lunalu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Rahway, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

Great cozy room hard to get down from bunk beds because its very close to wall and bathroom is outside of room but closeby to everything and great service and easy check in and out. Also they provide breakfast so a+

• Stayed April 2013
Santarcangelo di Romagna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

this B&B, booked at a very good priece is situated in a wonderful area of san Francisco, safety and very close to pubblic transport but also with pleanty of restaurant and shops all around.
the rooms are nice, clean and big enough, the bathroom is shared but very very clean and each floor of the beautiful house has 2 toilet and a showing area, so easy to find free.
the ivy is nice and full of suggestion-offerts to visit SF, you can have your breakfast untill 10 am and starting from 4 pm tea and cookes available and free.
internet is wifi and speedy, included in the room price, owners and employee are friendly and very helpfull. i loved stay here and i'll be back a.s.a.p.

3 Thank Annalisa B
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at this inn. It is similar to a hostel, but much nicer. You get your own room with a sink, shower and bathrooms are shared on the floor. I never had to wait for a shower or a bathroom to use. By the way, there is no sink or soap in bathrooms, but they do have antibacterial gel dispensers there.
My room was small, just enough to fit the bed, one chair and your suitcase. I travelled solo so it was not a problem for me, it might be a bit tight for 2 people with large suitcases. Breakfast selection is much better than in most budget hotels/motels. The location is great, safe and easy to get to all the attractions either by bus/trolley or even walking. I enjoyed a nice walk to Alamo Square from the hotel. There are nice little stores and restaurants around. I would imagine that rooms facing the street get noisy at night especially on weekends, but I stayed in a room facing the back alley, so I had a nice quiet sleep. Since it was March and still cool, I didn't have to open the windows, but in warmer months if you open the window you might get a smell of restaurants located on main floor of the building. As a female travelling solo I felt quite safe. Would stay there again next time.

5 Thank turist123
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

The best thing of this hotel is definitely the location. It is located in a safe area, very close to the bus station which takes you to Union Square (you can also walk - 15 min max, but it's not advisable, because it is dangerous). There are several restaurants and bars at just 3 minutes from the hotel and 2 important touristic objectives: the Main Hall and the Asian Museum.
Looking at the hotel, it looks nice, inside and outside (nicely decorated). Unfortunately, I was dissapointed with all the others. The rooms are very small, just as big as the beds, with very small windows. There is no bathroom, but two toilets on the floow and one shower. This could be an incovenient, especially in the morning, when everybody is using it. Not to mention that they don't get closed so well so sometimes someone else may come in....As for the toilet, there is no water or soap. You'll need to get back in the room to wash your hands. The breakfast is OK, but the room is kind of small for all the people who are staying there.
I will not get back for sure. For the ones who actually want a hostel and don't care about these things , it will be a perfect stay, though.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

I stayed here with my bf on his first visit to SF- we were on a budget and were looking for a step up from shared hostel rooms and a step down from pricey hotels. This place was perfect. You do have to share a bathroom with other gusts- there is a toilet and a shower (in different room) on each floor, so if yours is occupied you can walk up or down a flight of stairs to find an empty one. The room itself was spacious for SF, the bed was comfortable and the local was okay. There are quite a few nice restaurants around Hayes Valley Inn as well as some good bars. However, you may need a car or some great walking shoes to go explore other parts of the city. When we go back to SF we will definitely stay here. I have also sent my father here on my recommendation and he enjoyed it as well.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MT1098
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in February and had a very pleasant experience. Continental breakfast was the same every day but well stocked with fruits, greek yogurt, granola, etc. Plus breakfast started early at 7am so we could eat and start exploring early. There was one shower on our floor and 2 separate toilets- we woke up early every morning and never had a problem with finding available shower/toilet. Location was great as well; very close to transportation services. Great place for affordable price!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple