“Location the only reason”
Review of Oceanview Motel

Oceanview Motel
Ranked #199 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Los Angeles, California
“Location the only reason”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

On the plus, location, location, location. On the beach, at the end of the N line. Great access to everything we needed. On the minus, security and up keep. Hollow core wood doors I would only use for a closet, with broken security bolts, are the only thing between you and the world. The bathroom has quite a bit of water damage. The heater is an electric oil radiator. The room was, however, clean and the price was decent.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Colleen P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This was our fourth stop on a 14 night Usa trip and i had booked it on price really and the fact it had free parking as i found most other hotels in San fran to be really expensive. Our first impressions where not that great the receptionist wasn't friendly at all and the appearance of the place is very rundown. The stairway up to the room is horrible dirty carpet, paint chipped walls etc, wasnt really looking forward to seeing the room, but i have to say we found the room to be quite clean and adequate. Its not luxury at all but we all slept really well here. Its a very basic place so don't expect much but then again i suppose you get what you pay for!! Its right next to the beach and the tram stops right outside so we found it easy to get around. The coffee shop on the corner does great pastries etc for breakfast. The parking was ok but i did return one time to find my space taken and only compact spaces left which weren't big enough for my huge American SUV however i parked in two and didn't have a problem. Over all it was just ok, we loved San Francisco and would definately go back but think we would look for a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank RachelH64
Clovis, CA
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Like an earlier reviewer, I think I'm finally done with the Oceanview. We've stayed there a dozen times over the last 6 years, but I'm not going back. We booked a week in a queen suite while my husband was in San Francisco for surgery. When we checked in they sent us to a tiny, dark, dirty back room with two queens and not even enough room to put down luggage. The window was adjacent to the neighboring building's stairway and didn't lock. The non-locking fire escape door was right outside. The wifi didn't reach. When we told the clerk this was NOT the room we reserved we just got a head wobble. I finally told my husband I didn't feel safe staying there alone while he was in the hospital. At his insistence, we were moved to a front corner room. Large, light, and cleaner (but still not clean) although the window still didn't lock. At least this one opened onto a sheer wall.

There has been a dramatic increase in the number of homeless in the area, and there were 2-3 in the parking lot every time I came down. They routinely tried the door to the stairs. I didn't want go think about what they did if they got in. Two of the mornings I saw homeless looking men leaving early, meaning they either got the cash together for the night, snuck in to sleep in the hallway, or the night manager was renting empty rooms cheap if it was late. I'm guessing the third.

One of the things I've always liked was the proximity to the Java Beach Cafe and the ability to spend the evening there with the eclectic crowd. That crowd has now crossed over to more homeless and definitely creepy. I spent two evenings there with my husband, but wouldn't go back alone, a first for me. I was the only woman there both nights and the creep factor was high. The price of a cup of coffee gives a not quite right street person an evening of warmth and internet. It was a little like the shelter, but with beer and music.

I've been a big OVM supporter in the past - easy transportation, coffee next door, free parking, low room rates. No more. There are better, safer, cleaner places. I'd rather pay for parking. The increase in the homeless and the decline in cleanliness both turn me off.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mgg1234

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

San Blas, Mexico
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Made the mistake of staying at the Oceanview once, I will never stay there again!
People were up yelling and screaming and ranting and raving all night long!
We went out for dinner came back to find all the parking stalls in the motel were taken!
As it turns out all the parking stalls were taking by partygoers on the same floor we were on.
I reiterate, can you say dump?
The only good thing about the place was, they had no bedbugs.

Room Tip: Don't go to the Oceanview go to the Ocean Park Motel down by the zoo. A class place well kept no...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
West Jordan, Utah, United States
Reviewed 27 February 2014

My father was in the hospital and it was the nearest place to stay....it was terrible!! There were 4 of us and we all woke up covered in bed big bites!! I would not recommend it. It was very dirty, our heater didn't work so we were freezing...not a great experience.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Chantell C
Arlington,VA
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Ocean View Motel at 4340 Judah in San Francisco is an older motel with free parking and good prices. It does need some sprucing up, but there are NO BED BUGS, get over it, There is also a friendly staff to assist you...This motel is right at the beach in Outer Sunset. The N Judah Streetcar takes you right to it or to down town. There are numerous great restaurants nearby, THAI COTTAGE, THANH LONG and OUTERLANDS, and Golden Gate Indian....there are boutiques all along the last blocks of Judah and a cool market and 7-11 too. However, the Gem of Judah is the JAVA BEACH Coffee Shop....Trouble Coffee up Judah 2 blocks is good too, but expensive, no DECAF there......book the OVM and you won't be disappointed, it's not fancy, but it IS clean. John,, Arlington,VA

Room Tip: Choose a top floor FRONT room, and don't worry about the trolley noise, you get used to it....SE...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Taoseno
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here, I wish we hadn't.
Before you even get to the room you are presented with a poor reception area, awful stair case to the rooms. The bedroom had a light missing, bare wires, mouldy bathroom ceiling, lampshade soaked in coffee. Although the tram outside is incredibly handy its also incredibly noisy and runs all night. No one tells you this!!
Housekeeping at 6pm was very odd.
Tried to ask a question at receotion but no one came when I rang the bell.
This motel was not cheap and was really not worth the money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Twin Peaks Hotel
#163 of 228 in San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 6 in Pacifica
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#158 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Oceanview Motel? Share your experiences!