“Central but nothing else”
Review of The Grant Hotel

The Grant Hotel
Ranked #133 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Nobody could fault the location of this hotel - just up from Union Square. The room was also clean and decorated to the standard of a two start hotel. Those are the highlights.

Anything else you might want from a normal hotel wasn't so good. "Continental breakfast" was muffins, some pastries and a few coissants with black coffee which you could whitten from a jar of coffee mate. It was the lowest possible grade breakfast I've seen everywhere (and we travel rather a lot). Some fresh milk and cereals wouldn't have killed them. The "free wifi" was in the lobby only - something that just irritates.

We also needed to leave lugguage for 3 days as we went to Vegas and it was far too much to ask for. Luckily our hotel in San Bruno which we were staying at before our flight back (Super 8) was superb and rescued us.

Having said all of this, it is cheap and very central and the room was clean. This rescued it from a 1 in this review and if we were honest, we might stay again, but just not hope for much. I suspect there are better options even at this price and location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElGales
Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed at the grant hotel for 4 nights, jan 19-22 2012. We were just blocks from union square and within a block of the cable car which we used numerous times to get around. The hotel is not a five star hotel but only because it lacks the wow factor one would expect if staying at a five star......but we were totally satisfied with the safety, cleanliness, courteous staff, and the totally awesome location of the hotel. We found no reason to spend lofty amounts of money when we spent 90 per cent of our waking hours outside the hotel. For those on a budget be sure and get a "CITY PASS" which will get you unlimited cable cars, buses, and all intra city public transportation. It also gets you into museums and a 1 hr cruise around alca traz and under the golden gate bridge. The pass pays for it self---all for 69 bucks---remember $6 per cable car ride---it paid for itself if all you did was use the transportation benefit it provided.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank michaelschadow
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The location is convenient for walking to Chinatown, Union Square and Russian Hill.
The price is reasonable, but with the best will in the world, beyond sleeping there, I didn't feel that I wanted to spend any time at the hotel. I've got nothing against functional and minimalist hotels but this one did seem just a little bit too tired on the inside.
The staff were helpful and the tv is very big with in the room.
Be advised that there are no temperature controls in the room and I found it a little warm at night even with my window open (and this was during the winter).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Flyingcamel05
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Looking for a place in the centre of SF for a affordable price let me to the "Grant Hotel".
Our stay was to our satisfaction, the rooms where allright and equipped with everything you need for a pleasant stay.
Our room was located at the front and there are no complaines there. except for some traffic noises but that didn't bother us.
Like said before the location is great, it takes a five minute walk to market street, the cable cars and china town. If you want to visit "fishermans warf" on foot you better take your walking shoes.
a downsite is the breakfast, much more than brownies and cupcakes your not gonna get, if you are lucky you get a place to sit down but chances are every seat is taken.
Furthermore a didn't like the rather funny smell in the lobby and hallways,
Parking is just accross the street, as a visiter of the grant hotel you get a reduced fee for parking.
In short, if you not to picky "Grant hotel" is ok just don't expect to much.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front on a high floor to reduce traffic noises
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Murphy_Sittard
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I went to San Francisco for the very first time about 2 years ago and had a lovely time. The room that I initally had didn't have good cell phone reception, and when I told the woman at the front desk she immediately gave me another room which I liked even better since it overlooked the street. I don't drive so it was perfect for me re: location; China Town is around the corner, cable car across the street (although I walked to Fisherman's Wharf and Lombard Street and took the cable car back) and an easy walk to other sights/restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful re: transportation and suggestions on things to do. Union Square is several blocks away and has lots of stores for shopping. The only reason I gave 4 'stars ' is because there are no ice machines; I solved that problem by going to a Walgreens up the street and buying a cheapie styrofoam cooler and the small (but well stocked) grocery store across the street sold bags of ice for a dollar. Also no problem getting cabs.

On my next trip to San Francisco, I will definitely stay here.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Was one of the best hotels i stayed in the usa.
The location was very good and safe. Our room was just loveley.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Stayed at The Grant Hotel for the second time in three years.
Older hotel that has been upgraded with flat screen TV in room, complimentary Apple computers in the lobby(2) with free internet access. Half a block from cable car, but a steep walk up the hill from Market Street. Complimentary continental breakfast in lobby(coffee and sweet rolls). Room is clean with renovated bath with tub and shower. No view, as there is another wall outside window. Very central location, with many budget travellers from Europe. Room and hallway are clean. Budget hotel with reasonable amenities. Will likely stay here again when in San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo