“Food book heaven”

Ranked #70 of 308 Shopping in San Francisco
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have wandered by Omnivore a couple times when visiting in San Francisco, but it has never been open (as it is usually late and I am heading for dinner). I made point this trip that I would get there at a reasonable hour and was rewarded for my efforts. The shop is small, but you could linger there forever. Not only are there cookbooks, there are cookbooks on everything, plus books on food and eating and everything you could ask for. Without sounding Seussian, there are new books and old books and big ones and small, really a book for everything. But before this just sounds like a warehouse, I have to say what made it great was the woman who helped me. She helped me find a book the way a waiter might help you pick a dish. She asked about what I liked and why and handed me the perfect book to make the return flight a bit more enjoyable.