“Amazing insider's tour of Oakland art murals”

Scout for Street Art Tour
Ranked #189 of 338 Tours in San Francisco
Reviewed 3 August 2018

I used Russell's tour of Oakland art murals for an office field trip / thank you event. He led our group of about 15 people around to the usual large wall murals but also gave us an insider's view into stuff that we didn't even know was intentional art (like painted padlocks...really?). It was relaxed, fun, and super informative. I would definitely do this again.

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

A great way to take a tour of the vibrant street art in San Francisco's Mission District. Our tour guide, Russell, was personable, knowledgeable and an art enthusiast...the perfect combination. I've walked the district myself but the Scout tour is an excellent way to learn the backstory of the art and artists and hear some of the history of street art in SF. A worthwhile investment of your time. Thank you; my daughter and I were truly impressed.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

Had a great solo street art tour with Russel Howze in the mission district. He was informative and very knowledgable. We strolled align taking good time to talk about the history of the neighbourhood art scene and great details about the different pieces since he knows many of the local artists personally. Can warmly recommend it!

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

To begin with the booking process of the Scout for Street Art was easy and secure, being taken to Vayable a popular platform used to book travel experiences. I tried booking a weekday tour but realized the tours are only available at the weekends. Once the booking was completed I received a welcome email from Russell Howze, the man behind Scout for Street Art. I dropped Russell an email commenting in my admiration of Dirty Hans, a street artist to which I received an immediate feedback email on.

Upon arriving to the meeting point, Russell was outside Four Barrel coffee with his white bike and baseball cap. Russell was welcoming and preceeded to confirm my booking. While not a spring chicken Russell has youthful experience and you quickly realize he has been collecting, photographing and discovering murals, graffiti and street art for at least 20 years. His knowledge is second to none and his personal anecdotes add to the inside view of the neighborhood and San Francisco. In discussion with Russell it is clear he sees street art as a way of understanding society as well as the esthetic beauty of it.

Having some similar tours in New York, London and Budapest I would highly recommend Scout for Street Art - not only to street artist lovers but anybody who wants a view Mission off the beaten track.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 November 2015

This tour opened my eyes to the street art scene in San Francisco and to the street art that surrounds me in Chicago. I had not really ever thought much about street art until I read an article about it in Lufthansa magazine, which said that San Francisco had a vibrant street art movement. I noticed beautiful street art in Europe, so I decided to learn some more about it. I found this tour on Trip Advisor and took it. It was a wonderful 3 hour experience. Our group of 5 ranged from 17 to 60 and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Two of us live in San Francisco and they learned new things about their city. This tour incorporates a lot of walking so come dressed to walk for 3 hours and bring a camera. Russell is a great tour guide. He is extremely knowledgeable and shares his knowledge in an approachable and interesting way. He taught us what to look for and now I see street art around me wherever I go. I think I can better appreciate the beauty around me because of this tour. Street art changes constantly, so I plan to take the tour again.