“Nice Place Located Atop Nob Hill” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powell Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Powell Place
Ranked #21 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
“Nice Place Located Atop Nob Hill”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed at this timeshare property on my recent trip to San Francisco for the first time and I have to say I was impressed. I wasn't expecting much from the photos, but I have to say it looks way better in person. The hotel itself is small and quiet, with not much activity even in the lobby besides minimal staff and guests coming in and out. Powell Place is located on Nob Hill which is central to the downtown area and a quick walk to Union Square or Chinatown. If you don't feel like walking or want to go further, you can simply catch the cable car which runs right in front and stops about a 1/2 block down the street at the intersection. The staff was nice, although I did not interact with them much since we were always out and about. My room was always made up when I returned in the evening and the evening front desk clerk always remembered our name and room number each time we returned.

The room we were in was a studio, which is what the majority of Powell Place is. I believe they also have 1 bedrooms but it depends what your timeshare is and also what you book with your ownership company. The rooms were cute and clean, with nice decorations (fresh rose, books on the shelf, etc) and fairly decent furniture. I didn't feel like we were cramped in a tiny little room and it felt pretty spacious for a studio. The bed was comfortable and sits right underneath a ceiling fan which is great because the rooms have no air conditioning. I think this is because they have not updated the property to include this amenity. They also have not update the key system either, because you have to use a physical key to unlock your door. The keys are attached to a heavy weight to remind you to return the key to the front desk before leaving the property each time. When you return, you must return to the front desk to pick up your key. The 1st couple nights I had to remind them which room I was in when picking up my key, but after that they remembered and handed me my key as soon as I walked into the door. The rooms have a small kitchenette that includes a mini fridge, 2 stove burners, sink, microwave, coffee maker and toaster. This is convenient if you're staying a while and don't want to eat out every single night. We made good use of the fridge, although not much else. The bathroom is also fairly spacious although mini toiletries are not provided like at other hotels. Instead, there is a Eurobath pump in the shower that dispenses body wash/shampoo combo and a soap dispenser by the sink. I think this is because everyone in California is trying to "go green"...whatever, it got the job done.

Overall we had a good stay, especially because the location and front desk staff were so wonderful. I would return in the future if staying another week in San Francisco. I deducted 1 star for the lack of air conditioning in the rooms as well as the hassle for having to drop off and pick up the room key each time. But still these were minimal inconveniences.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MastaPdaAZN

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Pismo Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

Powell Place is a great place to stay in San Francisco! We are owners of a 1BD Suite and we come here to stay usually three times per year. Centrally located, three blocks up from Union Square on Powell Street (the Cable Car Line). The staff is wonderful and very accommodating and helpful!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sandra S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Great accommodations and location. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a one bedroom unit with kitchen. We were able to prepare simple breakfast in the room and get other meals out. Coffee makinhgs were provided. Be prepared to walk up and down steep inclines. Powell Place is right on the cable car line. Although one usually has to wait 20-30 minutes to get on one with space.
Maid service is provided daily as is a daily newspaper. Bed was very comfortable.
I highly recommend this location.

Room Tip: Try to get on the elevator side. After walking up or down steep inclines you definitely do not want...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dora W
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very good location and accommodations: Nice area between two cable car stops, just minutes from Union Square and a nice ride to the Wharf. Very friendly and helpful staff (except one on the younger front desk members could learn from the others). Nice touch with a rose in the room upon arrival, and chocolate every day upon return. We were on the back side, 3rd floor - nice and quiet. No patio or balcony, but didn't need it as we were out daily. Nice little kitchen, larger fridge, all utensils. Coffee, sugar and coffee refills every day… not Starbucks, but it was great to have! Bed was comfortable (although my sweetheart thought it was a little on the hard side), room was nicely appointed and enough space for both of us. Good housekeeping… clean. I’m glad I traded for this, verses another TS exchange nearer to the larger hotels. Some mobility issues (from military service) going up stairs on the non-elevator side, but it was OK. I was told the rooms on my side were just a little larger anyhow. Stay here for a treat. I’d go back again, uhhh… if SF warmed up a bit! LOL PS... Thanks Tom... great attitude.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank hologramtwo
Florida, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I recently spent a fabulous week in a Nob Hill suite at Powell Place! The accommodations were perfect; the kitchen had anything I could possibly need, the living space, bedroom, and bath were extremely well appointed and very comfortable. The bed was scrumptous; I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud! I had more than ample space for my things with a dresser, walk in closet and plenty of room in the bath. Everything was spotless! My only complaint would be climbing the stairs after a day touring the city! The staff were gracious, helpful and extremely professional=providing great recommendations for shopping, eating and sights to see!

You are located in the heart of the city! With the trolley stop just steps away! I'll be sure to stay here again on my return to San Francisco! Thank you for a wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: Should you have any difficulty walking up stairs be sure to not book a room on the stair side!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Kelly M
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

I got a 1 BR Powell Place as a timeshare exchange. We got one of the back rooms, with a nice enclosed patio. Outside we have a table with 4 chairs and complete privacy. We’ve left the door open the last two evenings to cool off our space.
The kitchen area is minimal. There is an under counter refrigerator, a 2 burner cooktop and a microwave oven. Apparently they can supply extra cooking supplies if you need them. We have breakfast in the room each morning, but we’re not doing any cooking. There is a selection of hard cover current books on the shelf in the living room with a nice stereo system and a DVD/VHS in the living room. Another DVD/VHS for the bedroom. If you were to have 4 people in the room, the location of the bathroom, off the master bedroom, could be a negative.
There is a fresh rose in the bedroom and chocolates. Such a nice touch! The people at the desk are helpful and they’ve suggested restaurants and suggested transportation strategies. There is daily maid service and we are not being charged the energy surcharge.
When we arrived at SFO, we bought the passport for $28 for 7 days near the baggage claim. This allows us unlimited travel on buses, trolleys, and cable cars. What a deal! We’ve been on all types of transportation. From SFO, take BART to the Powell Street Station. Get in the long line for the Powell St. cable car and get off at California St so you can walk downhill to Powell Place. Or you can get off at Pine St. and walk uphill for a partial block. The Powell St cable car goes right by the front door. It is a very popular and crowded line and it may be difficult to get on a cable car, depending on the time that you want to use it. No bus line goes right by, but you can get buses that come within a couple of blocks. But being on Nob Hill can be negative because of the steep hill. The California cable car line is less than a block away and if you can, travel on that one.
The closest “grocery” is E&E. I would not recommend going there as it is mostly a liquor store, with very limited groceries. J&W is another small place on Pine and my husband went there to buy cereal and milk. It was very expensive. We found out that there is a Trader Joes and a CVS a few blocks away on California. We shopped there for our minimal grocery and beverage needs and took the cable car back.
We’ve been here 3 ½ days and we’ve squeezed in a lot already. We spent several hours in Golden Gate Park. While there we took in a concert, the conservatory, and the botanical garden. We also visited a festival in the Haight Asbury district. Visited the Saturday Farmer’s market at the Ferry building, visited Pier 39 to see the sea lions, wandered around Fisherman’s Wharf, climbed up to Coit tower, visited Land’s End park and did a nice hike there. We took a Red Line Cruise, which was better than we expected. We also walked part of the way across the Golden Gate bridge, but it was so foggy that we decided not to go completely across. We’re got reservation to go to Alcatraz. Several more activities are on the agenda before we head home. Enjoying the vacation so far, but it’s been cold. We’ve got the proper clothing for the weather, so we’re comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the back.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank flamouth3
Bountiful, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I love the fact as you come and go you pick up and drop off your key with the front desk. Clean and well maintained. Staff friendly and helpful. It's on the main cable car line. Walking up the hill multiple times a day can be strenuous. You are in the middle of it all and great Restaurants about in this area.

Room Tip: Shop for food at the Walgreens down the hill rather than the local small convince stores....everythi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business