“City break heaven”

Ranked #129 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Manchester, United Kingdom
“City break heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

I loved this place! Real character, charm and warmth in a super busy location. This was everything we wanted from our 5 night stop in San Francisco. The reception staff were friendly and extremely helpful to a couple of first timers to the city. The room we had on the first floor was a corner one and was just huge! Plenty of space for dropping 2 massive suitcases and leaving the ironing board out for days on end! It’s slightly old fashioned and not by any means all mod cons, the decor is dated and in need of a sprucing up. But to be honest if it was all sleek and modern it would lose all the charm that I loved
The location is perfect if you want to be up late and out very late! It’s moments from Union Square and the trolley car stop as well as tons of bars, shops restaurants and everything else you need from the city. It’s not the place for a quiet night in though. The street and block it is on are extra busy at night. There is a actually a nightclub adjacent to the hotel. Whilst the music from it cannot be heard, the smokers and people looking for cabs outside are noisy. We didn’t mind this though as we are night owls but something to bear in mind if you are not
A personal favourite of mine, but probably not for everyone!

Room Tip: Go higher up if you want some peace. The corner rooms are enormous!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tauranga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

If you're looking for a good value, very clean hotel right in the very heart of San Francisco, Hotel Fusion is hard to beat. One block off Powell, one block from Market, cable car, trams & BART only a block away. All the shopping you could want, very walkable. Helpful reception staff, good light breakfast (you go collect your coffee / juice /danish and take it back to your room. Room are small(ish) but plenty big enough for 2 adults plus shopping. Bathrooms are small but very clean. Ask for a room on the top floor on a quiet side & you should have few problems. Only downside is no air conditioning (would be a killer in summer) and you can definitely hear doors / showers in the next rooms. All in all, good value for money - but this is not pretending to be the Hilton or the Westin so don't expect that level of room.

Room Tip: go as high as possible & ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Hotel Fusion, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Marksonia,

I would like to take this opportunity to extend my heartfelt gratitude to you for choosing Hotel Fusion on your recent visit to San Francisco, and for posting a review on Trip Advisor.
I understand that you had some minor concerns on your recent stay regarding our temporary breakfast arrangement, and air conditioning.
We strive to ensure that the guest experience is our top priority, so I would like to take a moment and let you know that we are working diligently to rectify the said concerns. At this very moment, we are currently installing air conditioning units in our guest rooms for added comfort. This project will be completed by next month and will be just in time to beat the summer heat! Secondly, we will be constructing a banquet room soon for our guest to utilize and enjoy a sit-down breakfast.

Thank you once again for being our guest, and for giving us a review on Trip Advisor. If your future travels takes you to San Francisco, and are looking for a good value, very clean hotel that is situated in the heart of San Francisco's famous Union Square, please consider Hotel Fusion. It will be our pleasure to have you as our guest again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012 via mobile

I looked all over the city for a good hotel on a tight budget. I felt very lucky to have found Hotel Fusion. The location is great; safe neighborhood, 2 blocks from union square, 1 block from trolley turn/loading location, good shopping, good food and desserts. The staff was very nice and answered every question I had about San Fran with a smile. If we come back to San Fran again, we would love to stay here.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
John D, General Manager at Hotel Fusion, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear GeorgianGuy,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent visit to Hotel Fusion, and many thanks for giving us a review on Trip Advisor. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
I am delighted that the accommodations, services, and our competitive rates were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal at Hotel Fusion.

I am looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Hotel Fusion is located in the center of the city, very close to Market Street and Powell station with a very good connection to all the tourist attractions. This and the low price are the only advantages I can think of at the moment.
The room I was staying in was very small, dark and smelly and it was no view from the window whatsoever. There was a weird smell in the whole place and after few days spent in the hotel I had to wash all my clothes.
The so-called "breakfast" was served in one of the hotel rooms and there was no place to sit there. You can get tee or coffee and enjoy it in your room. There are also some sweet pastries available which should be called "morning snacks" rather than "breakfast".
The night club located downstairs makes it sometimes difficult to sleep in the night so better bring your earplugs.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Poszewka
Dear Poszewka,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review, and for staying with Hotel Fusion. Your input and feedback is greatly appreciated. We always take the time for each of the reviews to be personally reviewed by management and we make sure to share your comments with the appropriate department heads.
We will be going through a renovation soon that will include a banquet room. This will enable us to serve and offer more varieties of breakfast to all our guests.
We strive to ensure that the guest experience is our top priority during your visit at Hotel Fusion, and we take great pride in our exceptional service and make it our number one priority to attend to all of our guests’ needs, but unfortunately, we fell short of our goal on this occasion.
On behalf of Hotel Fusion and its staff, please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings. On a return visit to San Francisco, I would welcome you to give Hotel Fusion another try and allow you to experience the changes we have made along with appropriate improvements to our service level.
Please contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservation; I will see to it that your stay will be both pleasurable and memorable.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Akron Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

There is so much to like about this hotel -- the decent coffee and breakfast, the outstanding location, the small but passable fitness center, the cleanliness, the price, the staff.

At the same time, I had one terrible aspect of my trip there. After a receptionist politely directed me to a nearby 24-hour fitness to take a cycling class, I took my gym bag and a hotel towel to the class. Upon coming back to my room, I saw that all of my plain white towels had been swapped with towels that said I DIDN'T STEAL MY TOWEL FROM HOTEL FUSION. This is so rude! I take a towel to a gym class and you put shame towels in my room?? I was so insulted.

SO... sure, stay at the hotel... but don't take the towels, because they apparently count them every day of your stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Adrianne F
Dear beezie2,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review and for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We greatly appreciate your input and feedback.
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our outstanding location, cleanliness, staff, competitive rates, and the complimentary breakfast.
Please accept my sincere apologies if we insulted you regarding the towels, please know that it was not our intention to offend you in anyway.
The "I didn't steal my towel from Hotel Fusion" embroidered on our towels is all part of our whimsical and fun marketing campaign which are also available for purchase.

On a return visit to San Francisco, I would welcome you to give Hotel Fusion another try. Please contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservation.
Thanks again for your Trip Advisor review and for being our guest. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

I had to find something last minute and ended up staying here, and paying more than I really wanted to. Standard, anonymous hotel: no charm but clean and comfortable with an excellent location (step out onto the main tourist strip). The staff were really friendly while I was there, and even after I left and had to contact them twice about lost property, they were great.

My only small complaint was that I was woken up in the morning by noise- it sounded like other guests talking, and furniture being moved around. But not a major issue at all.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank LoveJoburg
Dear LoveJoburg,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Fusion on your recent visit to San Francisco, and for posting a review on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you liked our location, and our friendly staff. I am glad that we managed to find your lost property and everything worked out fine. We take great pride in our exceptional service and make it our number one priority to attend to all of our guests’ needs.

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our hotel property. Please do keep Hotel Fusion in mind on your next visit to San Francisco
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I've stayed here a few times. After lauging and joking with the manager I promised I'd write a review!
This hotel is really good value for money, being 2 minutes walk from Union Square, 1 minute from Westfield, 1 minute from the trolly cars, with three good restaraunts near by (plus Blondie's Pizza and Rasputin records!)
The staff are all helpful and friendly - This place isn't 5* and this comes across in their attitude in a really good way, you get the feeling that rater than 5* plastic "of course sir" attitude, you get genuine down to earth, genuinely happy to help attitide.
The rooms are adequate, clean, enough stuff to keep you going, free wifi. In fact this is one of the few hotels I've stayed in ever with complimentary toothpase and brush (surly 6*!)
It's a really good hotel, if you're after the impeccableness of 5* best stay somewhere else - you wanty somewhere good, clean, fun, with a good attitide and central for a brilliant price - you're on the right track.

I'll be back in a few months, the only thing i know about my next trip is the hotel I'll be staying in in SF centre - it's here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the outside have A/C (the last courtyard one didn't) but the outside is noisier than th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ARyding
Dear ARyding,

First and foremost, many thanks for your repeat business and for your loyalty, and thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to give us a glorious feedback on our hotel property!
I am especially delighted to hear that you appreciated our "plastic free", down to earth, genuinely happy to help guest service agents. We take great pride in providing exceptional service to all of our guest, and providing a unique experience.

Thanks again for your review, and I am looking forward to your next visit!