“Bad Plumbing, Bad Luck”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Bad Plumbing, Bad Luck”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We spent 4 nights here, from 6/24-6/28. If I could separate my review into 3 good days (4 stars) & 1 bad day (1 star), I would. As others have mentioned, this is a great location and relatively clean. It is a bit noisy situated right on a major bus stop (which we were right above) & cable car line, but that was OK given the location. The suites were spacious and kitchens were well appointed, though a bit dated. Staff was friendly, readily providing assistance with directions & recommendations. With no A/C, the temperature in the unit got uncomfortably warm on sunny days, but there were ceiling fans & it typically cooled off at night.

The reason for the lower rating is due to one day during our stay on which we were without any running water for 8+ hours! Apparently there had been some plumbing repairs scheduled, which turned into a more serious situation. When we got back to our unit at 1:30, there was a note under our door that the hot water would be off from 1-2PM. When we tried to turn on the cold water, it didn't work. We called the front desk & they confirmed that all water was shut off and may not be back on for up to 2 hours. We tried to wait it out. Unfortunately, it coincided with the day my 2-yr. old daughter got sick, so we were stuck in the unit. After 2 hours, I called reception again and was told it could be another half hour. I asked if there were some restroom facilities nearby that we could use, and she recommended trying the Starbucks. We walked down the street, but decided to try the Argonaut instead, which allowed us to use their facilities. For the rest of the day, we waited and periodically checked back with the front desk. Had we known of the duration of the outage, we could have tried to get a room at another place, but each time we checked back, it seemed like running water would return shortly. At about 8:30, after another "half an hour" estimate, I asked if there was anywhere we could get water to give our kids sponge baths & for drinking (by that time we had exhausted our bottled water). They recommended Safeway & told us it was 3 blocks away. I walked there & it is definitely more than 3 blocks away (it may have seemed longer though because I was carrying 5 gallons of water, much of it uphill, after dark). This is another area where a service-oriented hotel could have brought in water for guests that were waiting, or at least arranged to take guests to purchase water. I realize that these things can happen even at nice places, but we were disappointed that the Suites did not have contingency plans in place (such as arranging for bottled water, arranging for guests to use nearby showers/restroom facilities, etc.) and also did not communicate well (despite promising updated, not a single communication was made by staff/management to guests after the note; they knew of our situation and promised updates, but each time, the update was initiated by me calling or going to the lobby).

When I returned from my grocery trip (by this time it was about 9:30), the water had just come back on, but it was coming out brown! After calling the front desk again, they told us to run it for 5 minutes before using. After it finally cleared up, the hot water was not working! We called again and they told us it could be another 30-45 minutes for the hot water to work, since the tank had been drained.

Upon checkout, we were charged the full $210 for the day on which we had no running water for 8 hours! The only compensation we were offered for this was free parking. Running water, restrooms & showers are essential parts of a hotel stay, & guests should not be charged full price if they are without those things for 8 hours. Also on checkout, I tried to pay with a different credit card than we had used to make the reservation (my wife had made the reservation), but for some reason that was a problem (I've done that multiple times at other places). Edgar left a message for the manager to contact me (he said I would be contacted by Monday, July 1), but I still have not received a call.

Room Tip: Avoid 100 and 101 - they are right above the bus stop.
1 Thank Scott N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Helenville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Really easy check in and excellent location to the wharf. The cable car stops just outside the door and is in walking distances for so many places. The room was large, comfortable and quiet. You could hear the cable cars going outside but never stopped us from sleeping and my wife is a really light sleeper. A one block walk to Giaradelli's and the cable car turn around. I would go back to the place in a heart beat. We were on the first floor and had a sitting area outside our room as well as the ability to go to the scenic deck on the roof. Has an elevator but the exercise is go for me and the elevator is slow. Overall a good value as the room as a "full kitchen" which means it has a full size refrigerator, dishwasher, plenty of pots and dishes and utensils. It is galley style but quite functional with a coffee maker and wine bottle opener included.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning and the breeze is better on the upper floors and view better. The first...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ron M
Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

My family and I spent 4 nights here and it was, well, great. Our suite was big and it was nice having a kitchen to save a little money on eating out. My husband and I loved the rooftop patio to watch the sunset with a glass of wine. We read about this hotel on Trip Advisor prior to booking and were a bit concerned about some postings regarding noise. The hotel is not noisy but you will hear typically city sounds.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

It was so awesome being right where we were! I cant stress enough how great the location was! it was a big spacious room for me and my husband and we loved the look. I enjoyed my big spacious bed and fridge! I could keep all my leftovers from the restaurants! I had wifi, i could make my special green tea anytime of the day which is important on our stove. It was a bit noisy at times but that is to be expected with location. I would recommend this to anyone staying in fishermans wharf!! Might I add it is a beautiful building with excellent staff!

Room Tip: Get a suite! so spacious and nice
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

A delayed review due to unforseen circumstances here but I do need to share our very positive experience of the Suites. Despite a very stressful start to the stay when we arrived late to be told that there was no room at the inn - in spite of a reservation made about nine months earlier, everything was resolved efficiently and satisfactorily. In many respects, through adversity one can often see positives that would otherwise have been hidden. Fo us, although we would not wish to experience the stressful situation again, we have to congratulate the team at this hotel for the manner in which they dealt with the problem and resolved it. Without the problem we may not have seen how caring and thoughtful the staff indeed are.

The accommodation itself is superb: spacious, clean and comfortable with spectacular views from the roof terrace where we enjoyed a morning coffee in the sunshine looking out over Alcatraz and beyond. The location is excellent, close to Fisherman's Wharf, the Quays, Alcatraz and with a historic tram stop just outside the building from where we were able to travel into the shopping area, riding the slopes of San Francisco in historic luxury if not comfort!

Highly recommended! Stay here - but just make sure there is always a room left for us!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

My wife and I and our two teenage children stayed in a one-bedroom suite in late June and overall were pleased with our stay.

Positives:
1) The 1-bedroom suite is spacious. I particularly liked that there was still room to move about the living room with the roll-out bed rolled out.
2) Rooftop balcony. Walk up to the fourth floor for a great view of the wharf and Alcatraz, and on clear days, the Golden Gate Bridge.
3) Location. Easy walking distance to Ghirardelli's Square and Fisherman's Wharf. Directly on the line for the Powell-Hyde cable car and bus lines to Chinatown and other locations in San Francisco.
4) The kitchen, with its full-size fridge and stove and microwave and dishwasher, helped us prepare breakfast every day and a couple of other meals. (There is a Trader Joe's and a Safeway on Bay St about four blocks from the hotel.)
5) On site parking. Charged at $20 per day First come, first served.
6) Wi-fi at no additional charge.;

Negatives:
1) No A/C and no natural breezeway. We stayed in a third floor suite, and even though highs outside were only in the mid-70s and it was breezy, the temperature in the suite climbed into the mid-80s. The windows only open a little bit and open to the outdoors on only one side of the suite. We eventually had to keep the front door of the suite open to allow any breeze.
2) Noise. Half or more of the suites either face North Pointe St with its vehicular traffic noise or Hyde St with its cable car noise (Cable cars operate from about 0600 to about 0100 every day.)
3) Dated. Don't expect recently remodeled suites. This building looks like it's from the 60s.

3 Thank American_Bureaucrat
Woodbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I was looking for a suite with separate bedrooms to stay with our teenagers. The 2 bedroom suite is hard to get -- calling and talking to someone helped me to time my reservation and ultimately get it. The suite is big, with a kitchen (full-sized refrigerator), and a small bathroom. The location is great. I did not find the noise from the cable cars a problem at all. Roof-top deck with chairs and tables is a great touch. On the negative side -- this is an older building, and we could hear everything from the kids running above us. Also, they had a plumbing problem and shut off the water for 7 HOURS! Their solution if you needed to use the bathroom -- go down the block and use Starbucks. Glad I had showered that morning . . .

Room Tip: Call 2 months ahead to get the elusive 2-BR suite.
4 Thank shabalabadingdong