“What a wonderful place to stay.”

Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
Ranked #81 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alaska
“What a wonderful place to stay.”
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Our experience as a family at the Suites, was nothing short or fantastic. The property is very clean, atmosphere very pleasant, location fantastic, and overall experience wonderful. Thanks to all the staff for such a nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank eads

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Concord, CA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I live in the area, but wanted to get an early start in SF, so I cast about for places to stay. This was cheap and near where I wanted to be, so I grabbed it. Parking is tough in this area -- they have a small garage for $20 extra, there are similar garages around the area. You are on Hyde Street, which is one of the cable car lines, so they roll by your window in the evening and morning -- a real treat. You are one block from Ghirardelli Square, a short walk to Fisherman's Wharf. The two bedroom suite was clean, well appointed, with flat screen TVs in each bedroom, a large TV in the living area with a DVD player and an IPod player. My first floor bedroom exited to a shared patio. There is also a full kitchen. Nicer than some apartments I have lived in -- I plan to stay there again in the near future.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank RobtE
West Coast
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I stayed in room 204 for one night.

The front desk clerks were very helpful with check in and check out. However, I was surprised that I would have to pay an extra $20 for parking. This was not noted on the website or reservation.

The conciere(older asian man) was rude. As soon as we walked into the lobby, instead of asking, he told my guest and I that he needed to talk to us in such a tone that we thought was rude and demanding, hhhmmm...no, rather it's if I want to talk to u or need ur services I will, but to tell me u need to talk to me, especially if ur suppose to be a conciere and we hadn't even checked in yet.......well no.

Fortunately, I saw it this morning while getting ready to leave the hotel, but under the coffee table there were cut toe nail trimmings from someone who had stayed there. It tells me that the cleaning lady was lazy and didn't vaccum under the coffee table, which is unacceptable. Makes one wonder what else wasn't clean, hhmmm?

Also, while using the hair dryer the fuse blew so it shut the power off to the entire unit except the refrigerator. I had to test the GFI and fuse box to finally trigger the power back on. There's a reasonable expectation that someone will use the hair dryer so why not upgrade the fusebox to accomodate the power surge?! In todays times, this should not be happening.

As for the room itself, I realze they're old and for the most part the room was fine. I do like the idea of having a kitchen and separate bedroom/living room so if someone wants to nap or sleep they can without it bothering anyone. U don't find these types of places much. The roof top wharf view is nice and it's close to areas of interest that walking to and from makes it easy instead of driving everywhere.

Value wise, it's very affordable for what ur getting, which is why I gave it a 5 star. As far as recommending it, well, not so sure. Perhaps if ur doing a quick overnighter and don't care about quality, service,etc...but if I'd recommend it to my parents for them to stay, no I wouldn't because of the items mentioned.

It's the little things that matter and rudeness before u check in, power going out because of a hair dryer and toe nail clippings.....I'll look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank PapaWestCoast
Suites_FW, Property Manager at Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this review, 11 June 2009
I saw that this guest posted that they were surprised by the $20 fee for parking per night.

Just to be sure, I verified their information. They are incorrect. First, I checked our website and we have the fee for parking clearly posted on our website homepage. It can be found at http://www.shellhospitality.com; www.suitesatfishermanswharf.com will redirect you there automatically. If you scroll to the bottom where the website shows the amenities, parking is clearly marked as "Self-Park: $22.80/day". This is the $20/day plus tax.
Second, I inspected all of the reservation confirmation letters which get sent out and the parking fee is clearly stated there as well.
Third, I looked at the reservation form which every guest signs upon check-in. On the form, it states the parking fee once again.
Finally, because we understand that it happens that guests sometimes do not see it, it is part of the hotel's Standard Operating Procedures that whomever performs the check-in reiterates to the guest upon their arrival and check-in that there is a $20+tax parking fee per day which totals $22.80.
In this instance, I feel it is not possible to hold the hotel accountable for the guest being "surprised" by the $22.80 parking fee.

Our on site parking is the most inexpensive in the area. The neighborhood garages near us all charge around $28-32 dollars per day WITHOUT in/out privileges. There is a hotel nearby which charges $48/day!

The concierge mentioned is this review has been seriously reprimanded for this behavior. The concierge staff knows this type of action to ANY of our guests is unacceptable.

The toe nail trimming the guest posted about...I truly apologize about this. I immediately conducted remedial training for all of my Housekeeping staff because this type of thing should not have happened.

The power shutting off due to a blown fuse: We had a complete interior renovation scheduled for January of 2009. Due to the economy, banks stopped lending and we are having to accomplish the renovation in a piece-meal fashion. Fixing this problem is a priority. The same for the "old" and I've also heard "dated" furnishings. Everything in the rooms will be changed out to include electronics, furnishings, carpet, appliances, etc...

I am sorry that this guest had a less than pleasant stay with us. Service, room cleanliness and the friendly staff are all very important to every member of The Suites team.
Stockton, CA
Reviewed 19 May 2009

Every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful, and this set the facility apart from others. The location was perfect, 1 block from Ghirardeli Square and the Hyde Street Cable Car and 2 blocks from the waterfront.

The room itself was slightly dated, but was not lacking. The bathroom was a little cramped, but all in all, the room was comfortable. The interior courtyard provides a pleasant place to sit and meet with others and the rooftop patio is very nice, if the weather cooperates. The patio does provide a perfect view of the bay and Alcatraz.

The kitchenette and living room were nice, but we did not take advantage as we were there for only 1 night. Would highly recommend for a longer stay and will definitely look at this property again if we are staying in the city.

Parking is very limited, as it is everywhere in San Francisco. Overnight parking fee of $20 is quite reasonable compared to other locations, but the enclosed structure has only a few spaces and is very tight. With public transportation close by, a car is more hassle than it is worth.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank elllpeee
Lititz, PA
Reviewed 13 May 2009

Wonderful staff-very friendly & helpful!! Great location. Trolley right out front door. Bike rental & car rental close. Roof top tables and chairs provide a wonderful view of the bay. The location and the wonderful staff make this a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank howlandj
Colorado
Reviewed 12 May 2009

My sisters and I stayed in a one bedroom condo. The location is walking distance to Ghiradelli Sqare and Fishermans Wharf. It is very convenient for taking public transportation--we took the trolleys, cable cars and buses everywhere we went. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The unit was very spacious and comfortable. even the bed in the pull out couch was pretty comfy! It did get a little stuffy in the unit while we were gone during the day, but it cooled down quickly once we opened the windows. (we didn't want to leave them open while we were gone since we were on the 1st floor) I own timeshare with Shell Vacations and used points for our stay, so I'm not sure what the pricing is like if you have to pay.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank ESF9FA
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 5 May 2009

We had a wonderful time during our stay at The Suites. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. The view is amazing. It is also only 2 blocks to Fisherman's Wharf, where there are many shops and restaurants.

Will be going back again this year.

Barbara Bedecarrax