“A charming place to stay in San Francisco”
Review of Artists Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Artists Inn
Ranked #22 of 73 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“A charming place to stay in San Francisco”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We ended our 3.5 months of travel in San Francisco and were looking for a cozy and well kept place to stay for our last 4 nights. We wanted to treat ourselves so staying at a B&B was definitely a splurge, but staying at the Artist's Inn was worth every penny. Our room was extremely clean and so well decorated. The bed was amazingly comfortable, it made it hard for us to get out of bed in the morning! We really appreciated all the work that had gone into maintaining the Inn. It seemed like everything was thought of. We were even given a complementary bottle of wine!

We had read online that the Inn was no longer serving breakfast which was a little disappointing for us initially but they offer 50% off at a nearby cafe and the food there was amazing! Best Huevos Rancheros I've ever had, so this ended up not being an issue at all!

Lastly, Denise is such a wonderful host and person! We really enjoyed talking with her and she was so friendly and warm. We had the best experience at the Artist's Inn and would recommend it to anyone looking for a charming place to stay in the city. It was the perfect way to end our travelling adventure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brooke B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Wonderful! Great live-in-a-home feeling. Nice neighbourhood with lots of restaurants, bars and cafes. Really makes you feel welcome to San Francisco. The owners were on vacation and everything worked smoothly, however it would have been nice to be met by somebody.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mikaelfanny
Gentofte
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Beautiful rooms and a wonderful ambiance in this B&B. Only small complaint is, that as the hosts were on vacation themselves, no breakfast was served. We enjoyed the small yard and especially appreciated the neigbourhood - overfloding with really good restaurants chic boutiques for shopping and inspiration.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank NiemannChristensen
Cincinnati
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We loved this inn. Even though there is no breakfast, the location and privacy is remarkable. We felt like we had our own little paradise. It was incredibly quiet at night too. We walked to cafes and shops in seconds. One complaint. At least make coffee! It is a small convenience that would make a huge difference. I do plan on returning though in spite of the lack of coffee.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy F
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed there two weeks ago. Left it late booking a place in San Francisco. Two couples traveling from New Zealand so booked this at the last moment. I was disappointed with this place. We just had a note left on the front door telling us what room to go to ect. It would of been helpful if we had been told we could park at the back to off load our bags.There was no parking out the front when we arrived at this very busy one way street. I had asked for instuctions where to find a parking building near as we had driven from Lake Tahou that day and the promised instuctions were not there. My husband and I had to drive around finding one. No maps, no bus timetables or anything helpful was left in the room, only info on eating places. Room was very musty from hundreds of old books and I had to use my inhaler. No coffee, sugar or anything left, only a kettle and a cheap bottle of wine,. We only once saw the owners assistant in the 3 days we were there and she never introduced herself. I had to ring her the last day so I could settle the bill in cash. She wasn't coming in until 1130am so we had to leave cash in envelope. The owner is often away according to visitors book. Also in our room there was a storeroom separated by a curtain. $170 a night was overpriced for what was offered. I would not recommend this place. We often travel world wide and we were not impressed. It may have had its day when the owner and her husband ran it as a proper b&b but now it's just for the money with very little imput.

Room Tip: Room was average because of the old dusty books and the storeroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Karen D
Sonora, California
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I had a class and decided not to fight the am Rush. Could not find a place. I called Denise (delightful women). She had a room. I got there it was late. Denise greeted me and I went to bed. The room was private, very clean, unique. The home, courtyard, clean very charming comfortable. I will go back to see the rest.
The Bed was so comfortable I almost missed my class. ZZZzzzz One down side is Parking, It is after all San Francisco though :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank blueRn
new york, ny
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I was hesitant to come here, as I noticed the reviews were from so long ago. However, I just stayed here a week or so ago, and it was absolutely wonderful. The only reason for lack of one star is that there is no breakfast. They are upfront about this, but obviously I can't give a perfect B &B score without part of the B!

The ambience was amazing. It is very quiet here now, as I believe the proprieter has another home at which she stays part of the year. But there was someone to greet me when I arrived, a bottle of wine chililng in the refrigerator, and a perfectly kempt room. The place is like your grandma's house, except probably better and/or fancier and nestled on a relatively quiet, hilly street near Fillmore. There is beautiful artwork throughout, and clean, sizable, tastefully appointed rooms. There is also a lovely fenced-in garden to sit, reflect, drink some wine, etc.

I would recommend this place a million times over, especially since I did not know what to expect for the lack of reviews for the past few years. It is about a 10-minute cab ride ($10) to the closet BART station at Mission and 16th St. Absolutely beautiful and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo