“You might as well sleep on the street and give everything you have to the homeless!”
Review of Van Ness Inn Hotel

Van Ness Inn Hotel
Ranked #188 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We had to book a hotel in San Francisco on our road trip and we're on a budget. We had really bad luck because there was a convention in town and nothing was available. So we look in our coupon book to find a cheap motel and went here. Not really attractive but it was the only thing that was available.

The receptionist was quite unfriendly and didn't say hello or anything. After handing our coupon she asked if it was for 1 night and I said I didn't know yet and she said and I quote "You're only getting one night at this rate". Talk about customer friendliness.. Oh well... We went to the room and on the way there in the elevator we saw that the technical check of the elevator was 9 years over due... Last time it was check was in 2004. Luckily it was only 1 floor.

Let's do a resume of what we saw when arriving in the room :

- The room had no table.
- Behind the night stand the power outlets had no cover and wires we're sticking out.
- An insect crawled out of the piping in the bathroom.
- Anyone from the street can come in and walk up the stairs and stand at your door. No security at all.
- The bolt lock on our room was broken.
- The A/C unit ONLY did cold air and no hot air. Try that in November when it's only 14° C outside...

After our night my gf had bites all over her body.

DO NOT GO TO THIS MOTEL !!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Me and my boyfriend wanted to go see the sea front in San Francisco at the last minute as we were in Santa Rosa. We were able to book this the day before and were walking distance to everything we wanted to see. The rates were reasonable, rooms were ok as a place to rest our heads. The hotel is not exactly new but it was as clean as can be expected and we had no issues or worries about catching anything. We felt our valuables were safe and "lost no sleep" worrying. Awesome location if you do not mind a whopping 15 minute walk. This place is not for everyone but very good value for your money and helpful staff in giving us directions to get around to the sites we wanted to see.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I suggest you don't stay at this place. It's expensive, dirty, insects, badly educated employees, and a bunch of liars, that's what we experienced. DO NOT STAY HERE!

We stayed here mid Oct. 2013. Upon arrival, when we went to the room we saw that there was no “working table”, and we needed one. At least when we booked the room, the description said that the room had a table. We went to the front desk to ask for a table or for a different room. The guy there didn’t want to help, but finally gave us a solution. He brought in a table that hardly fitted in the room. But there we are, we had a table!

We stayed here 4 nights. After the first night we had bits of some kind of insect all over our body. In fact I found a couple of these insects (looked like fleas). Once again, we went to the front desk to tell them about this and ask for a solution. They would speak to the owner.

The owner offered me a discount of 30% on one of the nights. I did not agree and expected them to give me for free a night. Going to a doctor to check all those bits would be more expensive than what they were offering me. At the end he agreed on returning the money I paid for 1 night. So, if for 4 nights I paid 611.80 US$, that meant they would give me back 152.95 US$. The following day, when I took my credit card to have my money returned, the employee there told me the amount they would return would be 89 US$, which was the price of the room of the cheapest night. I explained that that wasn’t what we had agreed with the owner, and asked her that I wanted to talk to him. I insisted because the employee did not want to call the owner, as “he is a very busy man”. I insisted that I wanted to talk to the owner. Finally she rang the owner, and spoke over the phone for 5 mins, and then hung the phone. I asked her to ring the owner again, as it was ME that wanted to talk to him (and not her talking to him over the phone in Hindu). She didn’t want to, and did not ring him. And that the deal was to return 89 US$ (and not what they had told me at the beginning). The lady at the front desk started shouting at me!! I couldn’t believe it!!

Clearly they lied to me on my face.

I insisted on talking to the owner, as I wanted to explain that the initial deal was not what they were offering me, and also to tell him that it would be good that their employees leaned how to manage customers, because shouting at them is not polite at all.

So, after our experience… expensive, dirty, insects, badly educated employees, and a bunch of liars, I wouldn't suggest anyone to stay at this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Cdecaso
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This place is shocking, everything looks like it needs replacing, ie, light switches broken, coffee maker had no lid to cover the water, bed uncomfortable, pillows very thin, bedding very worn, with holes, carpet dirty, door to room hard to close and very dirty, could hear the people in the next room, and they are expensive. Will not recommend the motel to anyone else ever.

• Stayed: September 2013
7  Thank Munchkin145
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I wish I could give this motel(America's Best Inn San Francisco) a negative number on the rating scale. Trust me when I say this, based on my limited experience and my limited budget I could have found a better motel and I would have felt safer and more secure. Which is one of their so called 'core values'. This is a long review but bare with me it's worth the read!
Lets start from the beginning. My father and I stayed at this motel based on its location to a family member who lives in the area. Upon arrival we were charged the full amount for our stay...before we had even stayed! We were informed that the elevator didn't work and had to walk up two flights of stairs to our room. Not a big deal except for the distinct smell of urine in the stair well. Then we tried getting into our room...the door had a hard time opening. When asking the housekeeper to help , she briskly opened the door like she knew how and walked away. We later had to get her again to open it and eventually had to learn the secret to opening it the hard way (late at night, with jet lag and about 20 times of inserting our key) ourselves. It's not rocket science, it shouldn't be that hard to open a door. Upon entry into our room we were not so pleasantly surprised at the tight quarters, the non working though plugged in alarm clock, the black mold in the shower and the lack of a night lock( remember this fact, it will all come together in a second) on the door and no stopper on the window so as not to allow someone to be able to get through it. But we figured we wouldn't be spending much time here other than sleeping so we could survive right?
WRONG! On one of the last nights of our trip while my father and I slept in our uncomfortable beds someone came into our room and robbed us. I woke up to a man standing above me and pulling my iPod touch off its charger and swiping my father's wallet off our nightstand. While I screamed, hollered and chased the man who had our belongings past the windowed front desk, it seems the concierge was enjoying time to himself because he saw nothing. He wasn't behind the desk when my father had gone to get him. Mean while it was probably hard to not hear the commotion I was causing because I woke up the entire motel with my screams and pleas for the intruder to not steal our things. Not only did the concierge not want to call the cops, he couldn't understand WHY we would want to call the cops! After a few choice words he reluctantly called them but handed the phone to me to give the details. ie: where the motel was located, what had happened, all things he could have answered himself.
While waiting for the police to arrive we ask the concierge if the numerous cameras caught anything...guess what?! The cameras don't work! Go figure! There were two on each corner or end of the building, are they just for show? Let me just point out that the entire time that my father and I are standing with the concierge, barefoot and pajama clad that not once did he ever apologize for what happened or even ask if we were ok.
So the police come, report is filed. We go down the next morning after little to no sleep, and ask for a manager. There isn't one available. Telling the new front desk person of the events elicited the same response as the night person. No 'I'm sorry this happened' , no 'I'm sorry you're going to have a hard time getting on your flight back home without an id' , no 'is there anything we can do to make this right?' It's like the entire staff was trained not to give a flying you know what about its guests. When asking if they were going to put a lock on the door, they gave us attitude and said they guess they could ' try ' to get someone in to fix it but with the holiday weekend coming up it might be difficult. Well how about switching rooms then? It seemed as if it was the world was coming to an end because we had asked for a little bit of safety after the traumatic event by switching rooms.
To end this saga I will leave you with this, you are far better of either spending a little more for a better place because when it comes down to it how much is too much for your safety and security? I'll let your imagination run wild while you think of all the other things that the intruder could have decided to do had I not been in the room with my father.
As a side note I will add that there is a good chance that your bed spread has seen the dirty parking lot as the house keeping staff is so lazy that they throw the comforters over the railing and don't care if they miss the laundry bucket, and cars run over them...oh yes we witnessed that. So if the price looks too good to be true, it is! The repercussions of this night are still going on, between having no cash flow from having to cancel all of my dad's credit cards, to my own nightmares of strangers in my room and not trusting anyone. I wouldn't stay here again if my life depended on it. And by the way the corporate headquarters has been treating us, I wouldn't stay at any of their establishments if they paid me.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Homerun2730
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this place from Aug. 25 to Sept. 1. A family member reserved our room because of good location. Immediate feeling of uneasiness. We paid $230 per night for two double beds. Would not normally stay in a place like this but figured that we did not have many options and we were only going to be in the room for sleep and showers. Room key rarely worked, mold in the bathroom and half of the deadbolt was missing. On the fourth night of our stay, at 1:30 in the morning, my daughter woke up to a 6' man standing over her while he was steeling my wallet and her i-pod. He ran out of the room with us chasing him. We were not able to catch him. When I went to the office, that the burglar had to go past, I had to ring the buzzer because the office was locked and no one was at the desk. When I told the attendant what had happened and asked him to call the police, he refused. My daughter called them instead. When the police asked if the security cameras were working, the attendant said no. The next morning when I demanded that they repair the lock, they chose to change our room instead and then booked someone else in that room. At no time did they apologize or even analogize the event. When asked how to get a hold of management, they could not or, would not, give it to us. In my opinion, I do not think that this place is safe to stay at. I am trying to get in touch with the corporate offices to inform them of the conditions of this franchise and recommend that they SHUT IT DOWN.

Room Tip: "DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!" "Safest place to stay is on the streets"
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We wanted to be close to the Wharf but not for $300-$500. Don't be tempted like we were. We spent $132 with taxes and fees for room with 2 double beds. First room didn't have a deadbolt on the door. Second room had daylight coming through the door, but had a deadbolt. Night stand lights and outlets didn't work. Room was very small, dark and dingy. Both rooms had a peculiar musty/damp concrete smell. Large cigarette cans outside rooms that haven't been dumped. People fighting & screaming in parking lot in the middle of the night. Hill next to hotel had loud trucks screeching their brakes going down the hill to red light. Our magnetic key didn't work. Management brought the master up and another, neither worked. Said they would bring us a new key but never did. Trash trucks came very early tuesday morning (5 or 6 a.m.), and woke us up--very loud. Trash dumpsters are right below the rooms. Motel is U-shaped so all the noise echos. So not worth $132 just to be close to the Wharf. Pretty creepy place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends