“Economical stay”
Review of Inn at Golden Gate

Inn at Golden Gate
Ranked #141 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 10 March 2013

If you're looking for a 4 star hotel, this is not it. If you're looking for a cheap (by San Francisco standards) stay, this might fill the bill for you. The rooms are small but adequate.Our room had a small bath with tub & shower combo. If you are fortunate enough to capture one of the parking spots, do not move your car! Take a cab or walk.
This is a convenient location, next to the Presidio and within walking distance of many restaurants. If you're a walker, Fisherman's Wharf is not that far, but, you might want to grab a cab.
Coffee makers are NOT in the rooms but coffee & tea are avaiulable in the office. Morning pastries are also available.
Since we hate paying an arm & leg for a room that we spend relatively little time in (sleep & shower), we would stay here again. It's a good value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tedandbarbfromla

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have a fairly bad experience at this "inn" and it was mostly due to the owner/manager.

When I checked in, he was friendly. I definitely was fine with the condition of the hotel considering the price I paid ($65/night for 2 days). Wifi worked well. Free coffee in the lobby. Yes, it's dumb they charge $3 for the fridge, but I knew that going in so no biggie.

The first morning I was woken up by noise next door. I was wearing earplugs, but it sounded like a band was rehearsing in the room next door. I kept going to back to sleep until I couldn't take it anymore. I called the front desk and complained, but I can't give a hotel a bad review for other people's bad behavior, right? Well, I found out later that night that the room next door wasn't a hotel room but was a staff room of some sort... laundry, perhaps? Yeah, they were cranking music really loud starting at 8am.

My friend ended up coming back to my hotel on the 2nd night to try to get a room. We buzzed the door at the lobby and the owner just gestured that they were sold out. He wouldn't even answer the door. I went back to my room to call the front desk and asked to call him a cab. He said he could walk to the street and grab one. I called a cab myself after Googling the # and ordered one no problem.

We were a bit loud while waiting for the cab, and the owner knocked on my door to handle the situation. I will admit we had a few drinks, but he was very antagonistic and immediately threatened to call the cops. I told him my guest was waiting for a cab, and he said "NO GUESTS ALLOWED!" He refused to let him quietly wait in my room for a cab, so my friend was forced to walk out to the street to wait.

I was never told a checkout time, and assumed it was noon. Apparently it was 11am, so I got a call from the same owner at around 11:30am saying I was past check out time. I told him I'd be out soon. While I was in the shower, he called again and knocked on my door. I told him I'd be out as soon as I could, and he finally left me alone to pack up my stuff.

In my younger years I would have had a big argument with the guy for being a [--], but I just let him be rude to me since I knew I was leaving and would post the story for everyone to read online. This problem happens a lot with small hotel owners, so I recommend trying to avoid places like this and staying at a chain. Much less problems.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank veeRob
Reviewed 20 February 2013

This is an older hotel, but they did a very nice job of refurbishing the rooms. The rooms are very clean and housekeeping does a good job. The couple who appear to be the managers are very nice people. The room (1 queen double) was small, there is no lounge area, and the coffee is bad. I got great room rates through www.venere.com (Presidents Day weekend: $59.99 to $69.99 per night.) I will be our first choice when we go to San Francisco next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry J
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My gf and I decided to spend New Year's Eve 2013 in San Francisco and went with the Country Hearth Inn. Total was $145 for New Year's Eve, so we didn't think it was terrible. It's location is very convenient, near the presidio, cow hollow and a quick bus ride to a lot of bars on Union St. The MUNI is free on New Year's Eve!

Our room was pretty standard, but right away the sheets felt dirty. After laying in them for about an hour, sure enough I felt a few things crawling on me. I thought it was my imagination at first, but when I got up to check I had a bite on my eye. After dusting the sheets off we had an ok sleep. The parking is free and first come first serve.

Probably wont stay here again,

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank CitycatDiego
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Not what I call an upsacle hotel but it provided the basics. Contenental breaklast included fruit, patry coffee, juice as part of the cost. A fridge was in the room but you had to pay extra $3. fif you want to use it...we passed. No coffee maker or microwave in room either. Carpets was kind of dirty. Neighbourhood location okay. Limited parking available. Close to some SF attractions and about a 15-20 minute bus ride to fisherman's wharf, china town, etc. Bus stop about a 5 to 10 minute walk from hotel. Staff was friendly. An okay hotel, nothing fancy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed at this motel for 2nights while visiting San Fran. Very good location right off Lombard street. Close access to Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, short drive to Sausito. Room was a good size. Clean. Owners were friendly, let us park in the lot even though it was full due to our late check-in. Highly recommend for location.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We stayed at the Country Hearth Inn in SF in May to attend a wedding nearby. Another couple also rented a room there at the same time. This was billed on our May credit card statement.
On our August credit card the same room charge appeared again. Not only that, but the other couple also had similar double billing.
We called AMEX to file a claim and they quickly credited our account.
I find a room charge appearing twice over several months, especially for two different people and different cards, to be rather disturbing. I wonder if this has happened to others.
I will never consider staying at the Country Hearth Inn in SF again.

Room Tip: The big issue was the double billing so I would not recommend any room.. If you still decide to go...