“Very good hostel”

Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown
Motueka, New Zealand
“Very good hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just a few minutes walk from Powell St BART station. An excellent hostel with friendly and helpful staff. Good facilities, including well equipped self catering kitchen. Yes its going to be noisy at night because it is so central but ear plugs are available if you want them!
An ideal location for getting around San Francisco

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
HISFDT, Guest Relations Manager at Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Donald,

We really appreciate your constructive feedback. We are so happy you were able to enjoy your stay with us while visiting San Francisco. We hope you'll spend a few evenings with us again the next time you're in the city. On behalf of the entire staff, we wish you safe travels and the warmest regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Huntington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013 with a friend. It was quiet, comfy beds, fresh and really nice decorated. The staff was helpfull and polite and they served good breakfast every morning. The location is perfect and I must say this is the best hostel I have stayed in!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you tremendously for submitting your review. We find comfort in the fact that we could provide you and your friend a comfy bed, relaxing atmosphere, and plentiful breakfast for your travels to San Francisco. We hope to see you again in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Very clean hostel, located close to amazing shopping and some decent places to eat. The staff weren't amazing, but were helpful enough answering questions about the neighbourhood. Although our private room didn't get much light, or ventilation, it was affordable, clean and perfect for the three of us. The shower had awful pressure - not sure if it had to do with being on the 6th floor. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Bucharest, Bucuresti, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Accomodation deserves a "very good" review only because we are reviewing a Hostel and not a hotel. Location is absolutely excellent, directly 2 minutes walking time from Union square. Staff is extremely friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is poor. Room is decent for a hostel quality level. Best hostel we had compared with other San Francisco and New York hostels we stayed in. Free wifi available, no parking.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We loved this hostel. A perfect place to stop over for a couple of evenings in the hustle and bustle of San Francisco.

The room (private ensuite) was great for a couple. Clean and tidy and away from the other guests.

The hotel reception were friendly and helpful.

The location is not good for people with a car. You need to park in a local car park, this increased cost by $39 for two nights.

We didn't sleep much as windows are not double glazed and you are in the heart of San Francisco. We were serenaded both evenings by a very loud homeless man. I did hear after my visit that reception will provide ear plugs though.

I would stay again if in the area for a short time and if I was using public transport.

Room Tip: I am not sure if they exist but ask for an inward facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Both check in and check out experiences were very quick and easy, staff were always friendly and helpful.
I stayed here with my boyfriend so we had a private room with bathroom which was great value for money. The room was quite aged but still clean, comfortable and very spacious. Great washing facilities which was very convenient. Complimentary continental breakfast was delicious and great for people on a budget.
A couple of things we weren't too happy with:
1. We didn't have a safe in the room, even though the hostel was safe overall, we still like to keep our important belongings stored somewhere secure. San Francisco (especially in this area - so close to the "Tenderloin" district) isn't a place you want to walk around with all your expensive belongings on you.
2. I would recommend asking for a room that isn't facing the street. We are both heavy sleepers but even still, we struggled each night to get a proper sleep as the street noises are very hard to drown out. It felt as if our windows were wide open all night when all we could hear was constant honking of car horns and people yelling, etc.
Those comments aside, our overall experience was pleasant and convenient. Great location, walking distance to everything and most importantly this hostel houses staff of great knowledge of the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I hadn't stayed at this hostel for a few years,so was glad to see it has had a makeover at some point.
This is definitely the most central of the HI hostels,and probably a good option if you are not looking for a party vibe during your stay.For the first time I had a room off the street side,and I would recommend requesting this if you are hoping to get a good night's sleep.Of course there was still some noise,but definitely the quietest room I've had there.
You can easily walk to Market St and Union Square from here,which makes all your day trips very easy.Whilst it is in a borderline area of the tenderloin,if you stick to the same streets walking in and out,you won't have any troubles.San Francisco has it's share of colourful people on the street,but I had no problems,just use common sense if you are about late at night.
My room did not have a bathroom,but I never had to wait for a shower or toilet to be free.
The kitchen and common areas are all clean and tidy.
I found the staff I dealt with to be friendly and helpful as well.While I didn't take part in any activities,there were certainly things to do with other travellers.
The only downside to an old building like this,is that you may find 4 people trying to share 2 outlets for charging phones/ipads/laptops/kindles etc.It would be great if there were lockers available with chargers inside.
The room had lockers inside a cupboard,which did not leave a lot of space for everyone's bags in the room,but that's staying in a hostel for you,it doesn't worry me.
I stayed solo,and you can feel comfortable doing that at HI Downtown,but I'm sure it's also a great place to stay if you're in a group and looking for all the social activities too.
I'm pleased to say that after previous bad experiences here,that I was very happy with my stay and would gladly stay here again when in San Francisco.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 216,which was not on the street side,and therefore a little quiter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica R
HISFDT, Guest Relations Manager at Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Jessica,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We’re delighted you were pleased with your stay. Definitely feel welcome to visit us again when you come to San Francisco.