“Pacific Tradewinds: the best hostel I've ever stayed in!”

Pacific Tradewinds Hostel
Reviewed 3 November 2007

What a gem this little place is! I felt immediately at home the first moment I walked in, almost like hanging out at a friends house. The place is clean to a fault, warm, and cozy. The same is true of the folks that work there. The hostel staff took the time to get to know me in order to direct me to places in the city that I might like and even took us out for beers one night. The other travelers staying there were also warm and friendly and had some really interesting stories to tell. Great facilities, wonderful people, fantastic location! I will definately be staying here again!

Stayed: October 2007
There are newer reviews for Pacific Tradewinds Hostel

Reviewed 2 November 2007

I ended up staying at this hostel after reading the reviews here on Tripadvisor. I had stayed in a number of both dives and great places while travelling through Canada and the U.S. and ended up here for my final week before returning home.

Dave the manager was particularly helpful upon arrival, showing us the best places to go in the city, and all of the staff were great at giving advice throughout my stay. The other guests were friendly and I would not hesitate to recommend this place to any of my friends.

One word of warning though, the hostel is on the fourth floor with no lift service, make sure your fit enough to make it up!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I stayed at the Pacific Tradewinds in August. The staff were extremely helpful, giving plenty of information as to how to book tours, what to see and any general information you needed to know. The rooms were a decent size, beds comfortable, the place was clean and tidy and the location was pretty convenient when it came to seeing the sites. Definitely recommend staying here to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank teddley
Reviewed 23 August 2007

best hostel i've stayed at in america. i'm from pennsylvania and have stayed in many great hostels in europe.. but as far as us hostels go... this one takes the cake. great staff.. clean kitchen n bathrooms. clean linen and big lockers. right by chinatown for cheap nearly free food for those of us on major budgets. staff takes you out for nights on the town and can help you with pretty much anything. free tea n coffee. free internet.. wireless n they have 2 computers for those of us who can't afford a computer of their own.. n its free! comfortable place... feels more like your stayin with some friends rather than a bunch f strnagers. sleeps about 40 people so if your lookin to get to know the other travelers or to be in a more relaxing environment stay here. i loved it so much i am planning a return trip in a month. safe location in the city.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank marypennsylvaniajane
Reviewed 2 August 2007

What an awesome stay I had. The guys at the hostel are super cool! Dave the manager actually hangs out with visitors, and so do the rest of the staff! The place is like one big family! I had an eye infection while I was there (through my contact lenses, nothing to do with the hostel), and they helped me a lot. They let me order a pair of glasses to see, and when they didnt come in time, they sent them on to the next hostel I was staying at. Now that is excellent customer service. Met some very cool people while staying there! Dave Wong, Dave the owner, Sara, and last but not least... SWEDISH DAVE!! We all often went out drinking, and there is always stuff to do. The staff are very informative and helpful, and I've never had a better nights sleep in a hostel than I did there.

H.I. Hostels may always be clean and tidy, and have facilites, but there is always something missing (maybe its the booze rule?), its never much fun. But at the Tradewinds, its always a blast!

I recommended a few people on my travels to stay there, because its that great! If only all hostels were like this one!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank jameslhart
Reviewed 26 July 2007

What a delightful experience. The staff are friendly, wonderful people from all over the place who were psyched to recommend places to go and things to do, and who (when off-duty) often invited guests to join them for cocktails or jaunts about town. They went out of their way to accommodate the guests.
The six, six-bed rooms are small, basic, and comfy, with lockers corresponding to each bed. The rooms don't have doors, but believe me, this is in your best interest, as the hostel occupies the third and forth floors of a small building, and things would get really hot and stuffy really fast. (Don't worry about your safety - the place is tiny, and, anyway, you should use your locker!)
Free internet (wireless plus 2 macs), $1 towels, decent showers, discounts on bike rentals, kitchen, great location (Chinatown! near tons of other great stuff!). Be sure to reserve ahead.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2007

having stayed in a few other places nearby and then getting chucked out becasue they were full, Tradewinds turned out to be the best of the lot. it has super friendly staff and a really good atmosphere. hanging out in the tradewinds felt more like being in someone's house than in a paying guesthouse. I'm definatley staying there next time i'm in SF. And i highly reccomend you do. I cannot speak highly enough of this place and its excellent owner and staff! Thanks. Tom UK

Stayed: July 2007