Pacific Tradewinds Hostel
US$395
US$253
  • Pool
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
US$388
US$368
  • Room Service
US$302
US$272
US$222
US$194
  • Room Service
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
US$265
US$259
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
US$317
US$255
US$284
US$256
US$591
US$500
  • Restaurant
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
US$472
US$251
US$359
US$307
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon roompb jquiet hoursflights of stairsbunk bedsmeet other travellersother gueststhe financial districtawesome staydorm roomlaundry servicefourth floorno elevatorhome away from homeamazing locationbart stationpublic transport
Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed at Pacific Tradewinds Hostel for 4 nights in late January, 2013, and was happily impressed with the quality of the hostel. Only 16 beds, which keeps things quiet and personal, and there was always an employee or 2 or 3 hanging around if I needed any help. 2 free computers with internet, plus free wifi if you've brought your own device. Very clean. Bunk beds are very solid, no squeaking as you climb in and out of bed at odd hours. Pillows were quite thin, but I asked for 2 extras, and slept soundly every night. Free milk and cereal and toast in the mornings, though I preferred my own instant oatmeal. Shared kitchen, which was very well stocked with pots and pans and utensils, and plastic containers for packing your lunch. Also a huge fridge, with enough room for 16 people to store their groceries. The location is in downtown San Francisco, close to public transit. I had no difficulty pulling a heavy suitcase from the airport to the Bay Area Rapid Transit to the hostel. All the other people at the hostel were lovely: a few young adults staying on business and a handful of world traveling tourists, all very nice people, and I enjoyed hearing their travel stories and sharing my own.

Warning: the hostel is located atop 4 flights of stairs; an employee will happily assist you in carrying heavy luggage up and down, however travelers with knee or hip problems should avoid this hostel.

Room Tip: 2 rooms, each mixed gender, with 4 sets of bunk beds, 8 beds per room. Each bed is the same, as far as I know.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank Marianne C
Reviewed 11 February 2013

It got it all: great location, very clean rooms, nice atmosphere and above all amazing staff!! The staff would do anything to help, I even got offered a slice of pizza upon check in :-)
The commun room makes it very easy to meet new friends. I had a fantastic stay there and I hope I would be back :-D

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank Raphac
Reviewed 5 January 2013

If you're one of those travellers that usually stays in B&B's but likes to occasionally slum it in hostels due to the opportunities they offer to meet and participate in activities with other travellers then Pacific Tradewinds hostel is not for you.

The rooms in the dormitories are door-less, the bunks are tiny and crammed together. Any noise on the floor can be heard clearly from your bunk e.g. snorer's in the next room and travellers coming back from the pub or packing for early flights will ensure you are kept up all night.

You can barely turn around in the showers and a single toilet services the entire floor. The cleanliness of the linen is highly suspect; when I got up in the morning I had a rash on my face, hands and feet.

The only group activity offered on the night that I was there was a pub crawl but all the staff were too hung over to participate. Other guests were mostly American and 21 and under.

Overall, very disappointing especially coming from the HI Chicago.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank Appoooh
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I've stayed at Pacific Tradewinds three times now (and once overnight while transitting), and have yet to have a bad experience there. The staff are amazingly friendly, and since the place is so small, you'll be on first-name basis pretty much from arrival. They're willing and able to help out with travel queries, and are generally incredibly welcome hosts.

Location-wise, it's great - on Sacramento and Kearney, so it's only a block away from the California St cable car (if you're in SF, I recommend getting a Muni Passport and making good use of them!), which connect with Embarcadero Muni Metro and BART station. There's also a bus running up Sacramento itself, and it's also an easy walk to Embarcadero or Montgomery stations (or Powell, if you have a little bit of extra time).

Well-stocked kitchen, with, generally, plenty of free stuff to make use of. I did a grocery shop on my first day and saved a ton getting my own meals together, and they offered free breakfast. The beds are one of the best hostel beds I've ever slept in - they're custom-built for earthquake stability, which means no dreaded squeaking, and they have lockers big enough for big suitcases. The structure of the rooms isn't 100% my favourite thing, since they're open and privacy can be an issue, but if you want privacy, why stay at a hostel?

The only other two real downsides are the showers, which are... okay, but not great, and the fact that it's on the fourth floor but doesn't have an elevator. This probably isn't a good place to stay if you have mobility problems, since you'll be going up and down a lot, although the staff WILL help you with your bags.

In general, definitely the best hostel I've stayed in, and next time I'm in SF, I'll be dropping by again!

Room Tip: If you want a slightly quieter experience, ask for a room downstairs, since quiet time starts from 10 PM down there (it's midnight on the upper floor).
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ryttu3k
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

I've rated this hostel on HostelWorld but felt the need to rate it on here for those not using the website because I found it so good. The hostel is small which means you get to speak to people easily. Although I didn't get involved as I had other plans, there were lots of things organised for group outings which was good for single travellers. The showers and bathroom area were very clean, as were the dorms. The lockers underneath the beds were the best I've come across and allowed me to fit my large backpack in. Kitchen was well equipped and there were computers to use and free wifi. One small downside, it's about three flights of stairs up. However the staff did come down to meet me at the bottom when checking in and offered to help with bags. The staff were great - very friendly and informative. Great location too. Would definitely recommend and would stay again in the future!

• Stayed: October 2012