“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Denver, CO
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Primarily caters to business travelers, but really a good location for tourists. Small rooms but clean and updated. Great staff. Easy check in and out. Walking distance from the BART, ferry, grocery store and Embarcadero. Lovely rooftop deck with views all around. Only complaint is that deck space is frequently used for smoking.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is really designed as a business hotel. Nice desk, free wifi, coffee available in lobby area. The room is not huge, the bathroom is not huge, the entrance is not impressive, and they don't have on-site parking. The rooms are clean and relatively up-to-date. Checking (which is through a kiosk) is fast and easy, and there was always someone at the desk to help if needed. The rate (if one can secure a room) is substantially less than other hotels in the area. For example, when I stayed, the Le Meridian was over $500 per night (across the street from the Club Quarters), and the Club Quarter was under $200. This is very nice for the price.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I arrived at this hotel after sitting in traffic for TWO HOURS. While this hotel is in a good location, anyone driving to this hotel should avoid arriving at rush hour if at all possible. One of the intersections I had to cross was the most dangerous intersection I've driven across in my life and I saw one car nearly get hit by a train and another almost hit a bus.

The parking is a pain, but IMO the CQ website does make it clear that you will pay for off-site parking, they suggest the 1 Embarcardero Garage AND explain how much it costs to park there. So this really shouldn't be a surprise if travelers research the hotel's webpage.

Now, onto the hotel. When I arrived, a young gentleman greeted me and was extraordinarily friendly and helpful. The check-in process was swift and I was on my way to my room on the 5th floor. For security purposes, the elevators require guests to swipe their room cards before pressing the floor buttons. There are "Earthquake" buttons in the elevators-- you can Google what these do if you have never seen them before.

The hotel has a nice, artsy vibe and it is very modern. I was fond of the light fixtures and wall hangings. As I walked to my room, I noticed the water/guest request closet station at the nearest end of the corridor. There were complimentary, refillable plastic bottles and stations at which you could fill the bottles with chilled, purified water. This was greatly appreciated as most hotels charge guests for bottled water. The guest request closet is stocked with extra pillows, blankets, and toiletries, as well as coffee, tea and fixings. What a nice, unusual gesture.

I enjoyed my tastefully decorated, albeit cozy room. It felt very much like a dorm room to me, with the television anchored directly above the desk and the overall sleeping space feeling more like a cozy nook. I don't mind smaller spaces, however, so I was quite comfortable in my "Club" room. I slept very well in the bed and found the thermostat to be responsive to my adjustments. There was free WiFi for guests and there was no code required.

There are many nearby restaurants, and I did enjoy some bread pudding from the Elephant &Castle Restaurant, located beneath the hotel. The rooftop deck had a nice view, and I enjoyed sitting up there until hotel guests smoked me out.

I took a tour of Yosemite by Extranomical (which I will review separately), and they picked me up in front of the hotel. It was very convenient to have curbside access, and I did notice several taxi cabs and airport shuttles parking along the front of the hotel to pick up guests.

I used the hotel gym, which is located next to the laundry room on the lower level of the hotel. It was equipped with very modern ellipticals and treadmills, which have built-in television screens and very good sound. They also had free weights, an exercise ball, benches, and a bike.

There was a moderate amount of noise my first night, and I could hear my neighbor's telephone conversation, though his words were somewhat muffled by the wall (I was trying to drown him out with the TV but I didn't want to turn it up too high).

My only gripe about this hotel isn't the fact that they charged almost $40.00 for me to have a late check-out of 3pm (I had a 10:20pm red eye out of the SFO), but it was the fact that hotel workers stopped by the room THREE times to inquire when I would be leaving. If you are dropping an extra dough to stay longer, you shouldn't be hounded that way.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable and classy, value-oriented stay in a friendly environment with reasonably convenient access to quality food, activities, nightlife, and the airport (via shuttle).

Room Tip: PRIVACY note: my room was along the inside corridor and my window faced the opposite hotel rooms. My...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Melanie D
Bristol
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The website is advertised as having close parking, it is not near especially if you have lots of luggage. The parking is also very expensive and closes over the weekend. The rooms are tiny and could do with a good clean. The television was very small as was the bed. Extra pillows/towels are available but kept on the lower floors. A bit of a trek if you're on a higher floor especially as the elevators took forever. Cut our stay short, still had to pay but not the hotels fault, they did however try and charge us an early checking out charge even though we were still paying for the extra night. The charge with taxes was over $50. They did remove it, once we had complained about it. If you're a single person on a business trip not too bad, but more than one person avoid. I would not recommend this hotel for a vacation.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Amazingtraveller101
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I arrived at Club Quarters at 9pm, exhausted and annoyed that there was no parking at the building or on the street and I had to pay 35 dollars and park down the street. (a San Francisco thing now -- when I was a teenager there was FREE PARKING ON ALL THE STREETS WHAT HAPPENED THANKS FOR NOTHING AMERICA)...

Anyway, I walked into the lobby huffing and puffing, and not only were Courtney and Jon, the front desk staff, incredibly patient with me, they were kind and helped me with my parking issues and made me comfortable. And I'm not talking about canned, robotic, "I'm so sorry about that" kind of service -- I mean, Jon actually had the parking garage I parked in on speed dial to make sure I could get my car easily the next day. Courtney asked if I was hungry and told me about the room service options. And I got a free toothbrush.

My mood made a total 180 that by the time I settled in to the comfortable room to watch that Cops spin-off "Jail" with my delicious hot food from the restaurant downstairs that I actually took time to call down to the front desk to thank them. Being treated so well actually had me on the verge of tears -- dramatic, I know, but I was EXHAUSTED and I really felt taken care of.

So there you have it... definitely recommend for easy access to the places you need to go for business, and at a reasonable rate. And I love the little suite I was in -- nice to leave your work in one room and chill out in another.

Also definitely recommend that show "Jail." Was never a Cops fan but I fully marathoned Jail.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The location is great, room was smallish but more than adequate and very clean. Our visit was short but thanks to Sarbi and Liz at the front desk we got to see and enjoy more in two than we thought was possible. They took the extra time to make our visit special.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Bangalore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Had 2days meeting in the city and got room only in this place closer to my work (guess it was the marathon which blocked all rooms in the city). The check in process was good but as I entered the floor, the way rooms were lined up on both sides and the way the corridor was, the feeling was no more than a dormitory. The price was no less for that. I would have got an entire suite for that money if I was in Belmont. I guess the price was for the location but even the room was extremely small. Even for an hour delay in check out, they would not accommodate but charge you 20%. No amenities inside. Overall, not impressed, rather disappointed. Mine was one of the last rooms and when I looked from the window, I could see only walls around, guess it was a duct than a view.

Room Tip: No idea, my friends stayed with a road view and complained of that to be too noisy as there was prot...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business