“Great hotel in a great city”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Brussels, Belgium
“Great hotel in a great city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel really deserves it's top position among the hotels in San Francisco. The location with view on Alcatraz, next to Ghirardelli and Pier39 is just perfect for tourists or even to relax after a hard day of work. Rooms are huge, staff is friendly and helpfull, atmosphere and style top! I love to stay here during the conference. Would love to come back with my family and definitely recommend the hotel for a few days of luxury.

Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NForkLI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Great location, cool atomosphere, well apointed, every little detail, interesting architecture...and so close to Ghiardelli Hot Fudge Sundaes! This will definately be our place to stay again in SF...also our top reccomendation.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

The hotel has real charm and character. The staff are great and we loved the location.
Hotel is immaculate and we slept well in the comfy bed.
Our first visit to San Francisco so it was the ideal location for us. We booked a wine tour which departed from here. Short walk to Pier 39 and the departure point for Alcatraz Tours. We even hired bikes from Blazing Saddles next door to bike the bridge. (The bike path starts almost from the hotel front). Plenty of decent restaurants and bars within the vicinity.
We enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast in the Blue Mermaid, which for a small additional charge could be upgraded (which we did a couple of days). We also ate an evening meal at the Blue Mermaid (one of their chowders) which did not dissappoint. There was always a nice atmosphere in the Blue Mermaid. We sadly missed out on the wine tasting hour each day as we were so busy out and about. My only disappointment was the lack of a view from the room window. We were in one of the internal rooms which overlooked a roof and could only see windows of the rooms opposite. Such a shame as everything else about this hotel was perfect.
Yes, its in the Fishermans Wharf area which is very touristy but I found it an ideal spot for a first timer to this lovely city.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsOLeeds
Ontario, CANADA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

Travelled with my 26 year old daughter, and first time to San Francisco – we specifically chose the Argonaut hotel because of it’s location in Fisherman’s Wharf. We wanted to be close enough to walk to shopping, restaurants, Pier 39 and Alcatraz. The hotel is a short walk to the Hop On Hop Off buses.
Upon our arrival, we were pleasantly greeted by the doorman who quickly gathered our bags, took us to the front desk, and gave us a map pointing out restaurants, since we were starving!
Our room, number 236, looked out at the Cable Cars on Hyde Street. There is a frig in the room with goodies for purchase. Complimentary coffee machine. Free wifi.
We were thrilled with the hotel room, we had plenty of feather pillows, super-comfy beds, ample space, lovely décor, a good sized safe in the closet and ANIMAL PRINT House Coats! Our room even had a door bell! We were in heaven! Mmmm!!! The bathroom is roomy with plenty of towels and complimentary shampoo, conditioner, body wash and a hair dryer. The only thing I missed in the bathroom was additional counter space, but we managed nicely. Oh! The water pressure could use a boost.
I would highly recommend this hotel to any travellers, and I wouldn’t hesitate to return. Good Job, Argonaut!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

The Argonaut Hotel proved to be full of nautical charm and near-magical service. I was overwhelmingly impressed with the care put into every detail from the precise-yet-whimsical maritime decor to Ernie the bellhop's never-miss restaurant recommendations. Iced tea is offered in the lobby at 4pm, wine from 5-6pm and lemon ice water throughout the day. Expedia made me pay extra for the "wine reception" but every guest is welcome so don't fall for that. The Argonaut's staff truly make their guests feel at home while ensuring that their stay is also a luxurious one. We stayed in a King View room and waking up to the Golden Gate Bridge shrouded in fog was amazing. The only downside might be the location, as Fisherman's Wharf had throngs of tourists -that I don't remember from my last visit in 2001. I would definitely recommend The Argonaut Hotel to anyone wanting an authentic San Francisco vacation. Watching gleeful trolley riders hang on and ascend, we ended our trip with an Irish coffee around the corner from The Argonaut at Buena Vista Cafe.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the "wine reception" on Expedia! King View really was great!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AEP77
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

We travel probably twice a year and stay in many different types of accommodations, hotels, motels, bed & breakfast, lodges etc. I have to say I have never been so impressed from start to finish with the whole experience as I was here. We came in around noon from San Fran airport and took the main drag down the waterfront to get to the hotel, we were pretty worn out from early flight as well as thick traffic when the hotel came into view. We pulled up by the front door and the parking valet was right there to help unload the bags into a cart and let us know even if our room wasn't ready they would be more than happy to store the bags until we could check in. They also did let us know that parking at the hotel was $46.00 a day for unlimited in and out and that there was cheaper parking (34.00) at the garage down the block if we wanted that option. I took the hotel parking for 11.00 more the convenience was worth it to me. The car got taken and parked the bags got taken away and we walked into the front desk and were able to check right in. Everyone that we met that worked for the hotel couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Since our room turned out to be ready we went right up and our bags showed up less than 5 minutes later. The room wasn't huge but it had everything you need, desk with hookups, small fridge with mini bar - we got the run down on where to find cheaper soda and libations very close to hotel from the gentleman that brought our bags up, very nice! The bed had a great mattress, I should have looked to see what kind it was. The doormen were incredible helpful with advice and directions for all of our planned excursions. And the lobby decor is really nice also. We did not try out the restaurant or bar at the hotel but they looked nice. The hotel is conveniently located to be close to a nice big waterfront park, all the stuff along the Fisherman's Wharf area and cable car routes. There is a nice little Irish Pub right around the corner as an added bonus. If we ever go back to San Francisco I will make sure and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

A friend recommended this hotel last minute when I was looking for a place to crash with my dogs. What a great decision. Located by the fisherman's wharf, I easily got a meter after 10 PM, and was able to save some money by getting up at seven and feeding it some quarters. There's a nearby park that my dogs loved, and it was a lovely way to start the day walking the dogs and grabbing some breakfast. I found this hotel to be very user-friendly, completely unpretentious, a warm and easy experience all around. The reservations agent told me I could enjoy free Internet if I joined the Kimpton loyalty program online before I checked in, and that was worth it. They also gave me a free minibar coupon worth $10, and I enjoyed a nice half bottle of wine as a result.

• Stayed September 2012