“Excellent Time on The Wharf”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent Time on The Wharf”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

We had the pleasure of staying the Argonaut Hotel, in the One Bedroom King Sweet, for a quick weekend trip to celebrate my Partners belated birthday. We were located on the highest floor and, even though at that time, there was construction going on outside, that didn't hamper the room, the view of the wharf, and the noise was at an minimum.
I have to say that when we first arrived, we were greated with a smile at the door, and had it opened for us by the lovely doorman! What service. The lady at the counter greated us with a smile and checked us in with ease.
It was great opening up the room and finding a lovely bottle of wine on the table in the living room area. The classy nautical decor of the room was a perfect balance of 'fun' and 'sea'. It was spotless and HUGE!! The wooden shutters all over the place made for magnificent light fun to open up during day to get a glimpse of a bit of life down by the wharf...they even had a big window over the jacuzzi tub area. However, left that one unopened during my soak! LOL!
The bathroom was wonderful, large, and perfect for two! The bed was huge and comfortable. This was definately a splurge to stay in this room but I figured...eh, its a birthday and why not go in style.
They had a lovely free cocktail reception every evening from 4-5pm, I believe and peole did take advantage of that. A very classy and comfortable place to relax and mingle with new friends. We didn't take part in that as the hotel gave us our own bottle we needed to polish off.
The attached restaurant was a great place to stop by after a long day shopping and have a quick chowder and coctail before we went up to our room. I have to say, the margarita that the female bartender made me was OUTSTANDING! She seems to have a lot of regulars and knows how to make a drink and make people keep coming back for some more of that San Fransisco hospitality.

Room Tip: Our room was on the highest floor, Bay View King Suite with 1 bed, view of the bay. We enjoyed it an...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Hi, there, mcb1999. It sounds like you two had such a fun birthday celebration! I'm glad everything was so wonderful for you from the moment that doorman opened your car door. I'm glad you got to sample our famous chowder, and we'll also share your praise of that mixologist's margaritas! I appreciate you sharing the good news that the road work is relatively subdued, meaning those suites with the bay views and soaking tubs are still a great idea for a special occasion. Here's to many more happy bdays to come!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,079)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jersey Shore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Had a nice three night stay last weekend. Had a two room suite and it was huge. A king sized bed in the bedroom and a pull out couch in the living room. Two closets, a large bathroom (very deep tub, shower, stall toilet and a large sink counter) and lots of seating. We had a view of the cable cars and the park across the street. We had fun just people-watching from our room.

The front desk staff was so nice and helpful. The lobby has a fireplace which we sat by and played one of their tic tac toe games while we warmed up.

The entire place is done up in a nautical theme, down to the compass rose chandeliers, the beach glass incorporated into the hallway room numbers and the tentacle wallpaper in the bathroom. I liked it because it was so original, not a cookie cutter hotel that could be anywhere in the country.

Generally the hotel was very clean but I thought the shower could have used a little elbow grease, which is why I gave four stars. The bed was very comfortable but the slamming doors were disturbing. The internet was very spotty.

Overall we were very happy and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hello travel girl from the Jersey Shore! I sure hope you fared okay in Hurricane Sandy. Thanks for coming to visit us here at the SF waterfront. We appreciate all your feedback and will put it to good use! I am so glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and design of the hotel, and that feeling of "place," and a departure from cookie-cutter hotel life. That's exactly what we go for here!
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Fabulous start to our California holiday. great reception, fantastic room made better by the fact that they offer free wine and beer between 5pm and 6pm. excellent location for the Wharf. A lot of construction going on outside hotel but it did not spoil out time spent there. I would say the parking is expensive thou but that is quiet normal I am told for San Francisco

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thanks so much, GR15! I'm glad to hear more good feedback about the team's friendliness, and about the minimal impact of the construction near the hotel. It is quite a dirt pile, but it is funny to watch how much that delights our younger guests, particularly 6-10 year-old-boys, who seem ready to jump right in! In any case, I'm glad the Argonaut could provide the perfect start to your California adventure!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I must have gone through hundred's of reviews, trying to find the best hotel and location, for our 1st visit to San Francisco, and nothing could compare with this one. We booked, and got a great rate, using my husband's Govt. Rate.
We arrived Saturday afternoon, and our room was ready. We had an inner courtyard room, which was fine..(lot's of roadworks going on outside the street facing rooms.)
We unpacked, and went down to the lobby for the free wine and beer reception (5.00-6.00). The atmosphere is lovely..we met some lovely people from Portland, and chatted to them for an hour, before we left for the Tonga Room.
The room was almost perfect..the bathroom could do with another shelf or cupboard, to put toiletries..the vanity is quite small, and the coffee maker takes up one side of it. I love it that the light comes on when you open the door, and I love not having the paper "Do Not Disturb" signs, hanging all over the place...the small lit sign is perfect.
If we come back to San Francisco, this will be our place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello, battlescar - glad you're no worse for the wear after your trip to the city... though I know the drinks at the Tonga Room can really do one in! It is so kind of you to note our high-tech (and eco-friendly) entry light feature and electronic privacy signs. I myself agree that is so elegant to walk down a hallway that showcases reclaimed bar timber and brick accents instead of worn paper "Do Not Disturb" signs :)! Our wine hour is quite a party indeed, and I'm glad that you were able to really make the most of it chatting with other guests. Things have been festive here this week with so many folks getting away for Easter and Spring Break!
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

I was looking for a hotel in a good location, with enough room for three people, and was hoping I could find something with a bit of character. The Argonaut was just perfect. The location is great. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Our room was big enough for four and luggage. For those leaving late in the day, check out is a bit later and they will store luggage. The charm of the hotel, combined with with incredible staff make The Argonaut stand out among the hotels we have visited.

• Stayed March 2013
Thanks so much, friend from Virginia! I'm glad that the room was a comfy fit for your whole group with luggage. In San Francisco, I'd like to think that is definitely saying something!
Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Argonaut hotel recently and had a most pleasurable stay! Other than the fact that they offer a free wine happy hour in the lobby every evening as well as the fact that they allow pets, (my partner has a dog that he will NOT leave home without!) the Argonaut hotel and it's employees are some of the best that San Francisco has to offer. We've stayed in other hotels previously (Stanford Court, St. Francis, W ) but after our last stay I'm fairly certain that we will be revisiting the Argonaut when we next visit San Francisco in June. The only complaint that I have (hence the 4 stars) is the fact that there was a brutally painful to live with construction project going on right outside our window during our stay, but I cannot possibly hold that against the Argonaut or its staff, for they did everything in their power to make us feel welcome and comfortable. But like I said, if not for that major construction project, the entire stay would have rated a resounding 5 stars!!! Oh, and let it be known that there is a delightful and bubbly young lady at the front desk named Lavon who is as cheery as she is helpful, and if you have the chance to, say "hello" to her for she will most certainly brighten your day. She is an absolute doll.

Room Tip: Ask for something 'Bay side."
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Awww, I see Lavon and the crew have struck again :). I'm delighted that you felt the staff was so helpful and caring. We like to give the staffs at the "big chains" around town a real run for their money, and I'm so glad you had that feeling of welcome here. We'll look forward to seeing you back at our wine hour in June when you return!
Woburn, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stayed here on the tail end of our honeymoon. When we arrived around check-in time they seemed very understaffed and it was a bit confusing however the staff was very friendly and were really trying to do their best to accommodate the guests. They did welcome us with a bottle of champagne and the bellman was very friendly and helpful when he delivered our bags to us.
This hotel is in a great location, it is right in Fisherman's wharf area and short walk to Ghirardelli Sq. The hotel has a modern nautical theme which is fun considering its location. The rooms are on the small side but that is to be expected given the location. The beds and pillows were not as nice as I have experienced in other Kimpton hotels but we were so tired it didn't matter.
One thing to consider is they are doing a considerable amount of construction in front of the hotel. This did not affect us as we were there on a weekend and construction started later but guests should call and ask about it and where their room will be in regards to its location.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank crtnycnnrs
David_von_Winckler, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Hello and congrats, Courtney! I'm glad the staff showed you a friendly welcome and a little bubbly on the side :). I wanted to let you and the viewers at home know that we do have Kimpton brand-standard Sealy pillowtop mattresses. They should feel like those at our other hotels, though we can always add an additional feather layer if you really want to sink into slumber, of course! Speaking of, yes, you're right, city roadwork is limited to weekday business hours and, thankfully, looks ugly but treats us gently. Better that than the other way around!