“Best Hotel on the Wharf for Regular Folks”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Best Hotel on the Wharf for Regular Folks”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Superb location, excellent staff, free bike rental and pets are welcome. I stay in San Francisco every 4 to 6 weeks. This was by far the best experience I've ever had here. Even the check out time of Noon is better than anywhere else. Great view of the Golden gate and all fisherman's wharfe has to offer. Restraunt is great, prices great and the whole experience was fantastic. I love this place

Room Tip: I prefered the dbl queen
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jcrampton2
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Hooray! Thanks, jcrampton2. I'm so happy that we're your favorite spot in San Francisco, and I hope you'll join our free loyalty club, Kimpton InTouch. There are no strings attached, and when you're a member we get to shower you with a free $10 "Raid the Bar" credit, a newspaper of your choice, free wifi, etc. This is also the time to be here with wintertime hot cocoa and hot toddies in the lobby... a consolation since it is entirely too cold to ride our free bikes this week :)!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,120)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stamford
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Good location close to the harbour and pier. View of Alcatraz island from our window, and the working harbour. There was a cycle hire place next door, and the trolley car stop at the end of the street. restaurants and tourist trail shops all within walking distance. For us, keen on walking and cycling it was a brilliant location, and we stayed 3 nights, and felt we did all we could in the time. We didnt go for the breakfast (which wasnt included in the room rate) and visited this huge famous boudin bakery on the front, which was just as good and half the price. Pier 39 was good for some seafood eateries and we enjoyed chilling out (it did get rather cold at night). It did seem quite expensive for a fairly standard room size £270 a night, but for a few nights on a special trip it was worth it. Free wine between 6-7pm was a nice touch and got you mingling with other guests so that was nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachellovelock
Hi, RachelLoveLock!
I'm glad you loved the location, and of course it's so fun to look out over the Bay and Alcatraz. If you do choose to economize a bit next time, we also offer non-bay view rooms and standard rooms, and those two tiers will cost less than rooms on the ocean side. I'm glad that you got to enjoy the waterfront, especially that famous Boudin Bakery. I am a carb fanatic, and can't walk by that amazing sourdough smell without stepping inside. They now have a Peet's coffee counter inside, too, which is nice. Although... it's hard to beat our chef's bacon quiche or house oatmeal. I love them both, and will choose depending on how the belt is fitting!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed at the Argonaut in a double queen room for 4 nights in November (myself and my 6 and 9yo sons). The room and the hotel was just perfect for our needs and I would highly recommend it. The best things are the location and the kid-friendliness of the staff. The room was large enough for the three of us (and our 'stuff') and everything was clean and comfortable. Another great experience at a Kimpton Hotel for this family!

Room Tip: Always request a corner room on the high floor in SF!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GalenA_12
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you, Galen A! I know, it's a pleasant surprise when a standard hotel room can fit two queen beds, four people, and "stuff" as you say! I hope your kids got a chance to enjoy the Wii games in the lobby or the scavenger hunt adventure. The weekend ranger tours are a bit more for an adult attention span, but the history is fascinating, so I recommend that activity as well!
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I wanted to see the sights after a business trip and this was a great location! The walk down to Pier 39 was great with so much to see right in the area. Everything from museums to art galleries all within walking distance. The staff was also great and I had a lovely room with a view of the Golden Gate bridge. The happy hour from 5-6pm was a greeat bonus - free wine and Anchor Steam Beer. Room had a great nautical theme and was bathroom was great (and spotless!). Although I usually like some variety on return trips as far as accomodations I would make an exception and would stay here again! Cab fare to ariport was ridiculous but not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Loved the fourth floor - right above the street cars but no noise except the bell which I loved..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hello, Happicat, and thanks for purring about our hotel! I'm glad we could provide a little fun and adventure at the end of your business trip. I love seeing the sea lions down at Pier 39, and of course you can't go to San Francisco and skip seeing the cable cars or the Golden Gate Bridge. Our team loves to share the local tips, too, like the fish & chips shack a block over or the fun Mediterranean place up the hill. I'm glad you'll be back, and we'll be waiting. Come this winter and you can enjoy a hot toddy at our wine party :).
Upland California
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Before speaking on the wonder Argonaut, here are a couple suggestion. Everyone wants to ride the cablecars, right? If you try to pick it up at Market street, the line is so long you may spend 30, 45, even one hour to get on.

Here's the trick for locals: They don't fill up the cars...leaving maybe ten spots empty so they can pick up people at stops along the way. So go up a couple blocks to the next couple stops and get on there. What I saw is they pick up another five at the next two stops. Make sure you have a pass or $6 each cash per person.

One more thing: Go to the show called Beach Blanket Babylon. Just trust me.

The Argonaut. What can I say about the hotel and it's employees. The room was large and well appointed EXCEPT there is not enough drawers for clothing. But the room had an iron and ironing board which I always like. There was enough light to take care of biz. Sleep quality was great due to nice bedding and quitetness. The room was always serviced to perfection. Your room may include a $10 credit to use the minibar. We didn't know about it until we checked out.

All the employees were spectacular, which is what prompted me to write a review. Every need was catered to. We were looking for antiques while in Haight Ashbury and the doorman came up with nothing. As we were walking away and were a block from the hotel the doorman had thought of a place to check out, and he ran like the wind to catch us a tell us about it. This attitude was typical of all the other employees.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tubeguy
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hi, TubeGuy,
Always great to get praise from a Senior Reviewer -- thank you! I'll let the housekeeping ladies know their service was "perfection" and of course that story of the doorman is a heartwarmer, too.
I second your recommendation about the cable cars for sure. The other fun thing to do is hit the Ferry Building and the catch the East-West route from the end of California up to the top of Nob Hill. That line is almost exclusively locals and rarely crowded. The best part? A drink at Top of the Mark when you disembark. What a view!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just back from 4 nights at the Argonaut Hotel, where we had a room with two queen-sized beds and a view of the Golden Gate Bridge. The view was spectacular, thanks to some unseasonably great SF weather, but the hotel was even better. Friendly and efficient staff, spacious room, and the location allowed us to walk toward the bridge a few times. This is in a touristy area, so if you are looking to avoid that, this may not be your place. But even still the hotel was a quiet and calm oasis. Extra friendly toward pets too. Already looking ahead toward a return visit in 2014.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you, Thomas B! I hate to jinx us, but it has been a really a really nice winter and fall. Today it's a bit chilly but everyone is enjoying the holiday hot cocoa bar by the fireplace, and soon it's time for the wine party with hot toddies and whipped cream. I'm glad you found the room so spacious and the staff so friendly -- we'll let the crew know you're already planning that 2014 trip -- thanks!
Agoura Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel the service was superb! Friendliest most helpful genuine people working at this establishment. The location is great and our room was perfect! We stayed in a Deluxe King overlooking the courtyard. Roomy, spotless, comfortable and quiet. The most comfortable bed and fun nautical decor. Absolutely love this hotel and will be back each time we are up to visit our daughter several times a year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thanks, Christina G! I agree that the staff here is friendly and genuine, and their sincerity makes it all the more fun for me to come to work each day. We try to be helpful but never stiff or stuffy, and I'm glad that struck the perfect balance for you! Since you'll be coming to see us a lot, make sure you join up with our free Kimpton InTouch member program if you have not already. In addition to the usual "points" perks, it's all about catering to your preferences, like foam vs feather pillows, any newspaper requests, etc. And of course a $10 per stay Raid the Bar credit doesn't hurt either ;).
See you next time!