“Lovely hotel in a great location”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Lovely hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel is located at the western end of Fisherman's Wharf, on Jefferson street, and adjacent to one of the terminals for the famous San Francisco trolleys. So, the location is perfect for not only touring the area, but also business. The Argonaut is part of a National Park-owned building, a renovated old warehouse from the 19th or early 20th century (adjacent to the lobby is a small museum dedicated to the Wharf, and also has a room dedicated to the various major national parks in California). The hotel is truly a lovely construct, with the original wood beams running through the building. The nautical theme is evident in both the common areas and rooms. The common areas are well maintained and the staff is very courteous and helpful. The rooms are also well maintained and apportioned, and I found them to be very competitively priced compared to other hotels in the immediate area. The heating/air conditioning in the rooms are controlled by thermostat, and work very well. There was ample hot water in the bathroom, with good water pressure. The bed was comfortable, above average for a hotel, but perhaps best for me was that the room was very well insulated from noise. I only found two deficiencies, which were minor, but easily correctable. First, the hypo-allergenic pillow is stored in the closet, as at most hotels, but was not contained in a bag, so it would be collecting dust, which defeats its purpose. Second, the remote control for the TV worked very poorly. As for food, there is a small bar/restaurant, The Blue Mermaid, connected to the lobby, a Starbucks is part of the rear of the building, and there are many, many other restaurants within walking distance in all directions. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in San Francisco.

Room Tip: I chose a room facing the inside of the hotel, but I think all the rooms would be similarly quiet, c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you, PAtravelers7076! I'm so happy that you soaked up the interesting and unique history in our building, and in the onsite Maritime Museum. We are really lucky to have all of this character baked right into the place. I'm happy you and the prior reviewer enjoyed the quiet, as well. In the middle of things but away from it all!! Feel free to drop me a line with a room number and I can look into that pesky remote control. Thank you and happy holidays!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Being our first trip to San Francisco and arriving after a long flight from Australia (24 hours), I was looking for somewhere central but quiet. We couldn't have picked a better place. We initially thought being in the tourist centre would be noisy but we were relieved when we arrived to have a quiet room which was a lovely retreat at the end of the day. The hotel thought of everything, particularly the multiple powerpoints everywhere so we could charge up phones, laptops (my husband had to work), cameras etc. The rooms were really well equipped and a good size.

I also enjoyed the sundowners (wine tasting) at the end of the day. It was good to sit and meet people, particularly Americans who were all very friendly and engaging.

Tip - The hotel has a cable car stop on the corner diagonally opposite so get a 7-day public transport pass and you can use any public transport 24 hours a day, including cable cars.

Also, tip for Australians visiting. My mobile phone was going to cost a lot of money with global roaming so I ended up buying a brand new mobile phone (on special) with unlimited downloading and texts. It saved us a fortune as I used it constantly. You can't make international phone calls though. We went to Radio Shack and got a terrific deal.

I would happily recommend the Argonaut. It's a great location, the service was attentive and friendly and the rooms were quiet, spacious and well appointed.

The only negative was that the hotel does charge you for Wi-Fi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Avagoodholiday
Fantastic to hear! Thank you, Avagoodholiday. I am always delighted to meet another Aussie around the hotel as I have known folks from your country to be so friendly and so in love with San Francisco :). We enjoy sharing the city with visitors from around the globe and from our very own Bay Area. With regard to that one detractor, please know that we do have fast, free wifi for any guests of our loyalty club, Kimpton InTouch, and that program is absolutely free to join. Membership also comes with a $10 "Raid the Bar" credit on all eligible stays, plus a newspaper of your choice each morning, and more. So please do come back and visit us again! Cheers!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Firstly I commend the staff at Argonaut Hotel for their outstanding service and presentation. Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere at the desk and the overall visual appeal of the hotel is good. The location is sensational as it is located on the wharf, across from the Rock and catching a tram into downtown is a minute walk around the corner. It also caters many of the tour buses from this area.

The rooms are spacious and comfortable and if possible you could land a great view from the room.

The but?...

The timber blinds have no way of keeping the room dark in the morning for travellers who's body clocks are out of whack. The doors being opened and closed in other rooms woke me every morning. The room cleaners could also leave the room be if a simple do not disturb sign was provided. Not only does it maintain privacy but maintains the environment when not requiring fresh towels etc.

In comparison to the Minneapolis Grand Hotel, which is also a Kimpton Hotel we stayed at, the Argonaut loses the arm wrestle. This is referring to "comfort and privacy" only. Recommended!

Stayed December 2013
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Hello, AussieStork!
Isn't it fun to stay at the waterfront with the views of Alcatraz and everything? I'm glad you loved the location and staff, but of course it's a bummer to hear about your lost sleep. We do have a Privacy button inside the guestroom doors that will illuminate a Do Not Disturb light outside your door. The other trick I've learned is to angle the shutters the *opposite* way from what you'd do intuitively when you are closing the room up at night. That way you get the full "black-out" experience.
That said, I'm happy you recommend the hotel and I hope we'll see you back at our particular Kimpton again soon :).
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Met interesting people from around the world each night in lobby with which we shared lifestyles, culture, occupations, shopping, etc which made for a fun and educational stay.

Very comfortable accommodations, beautiful view, very friendly staff.

Room Tip: 4th floor was quite
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rwa006
Hello, Rwa006!
Thanks for the shout-out to our staff, and I'm delighted you made friends with other guests from around the globe. Our wine party is so festive at this time of year with the real (fragrant!) tree and hot toddies (spiced bourbon with hot apple cider and optional whipped cream.... an easy decision in my book: always add the cream! :))
See next time.
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Amazing hotel with breathtaking views. Everything about the room was amazing. The staff at the front desk were wonderful and the staff at the door were friendly and personable. The hotel has a the ideal location for dinning, shopping and entertainment all within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craig K
Hi, Craig K from Vero Beach! I hope you've had the chance to visit our cute little property in your neck of the woods. But back to *us* here in SF :) : it's fantastic to read you loved our location here at the Aquatic Park/Ghirardelli Square area of the Wharf. I'll share your praise of the team here, as well. They are a friendly bunch indeed, and I'm glad you felt welcome and taken care of. If you haven't already, join our loyalty club, Kimpton InTouch, and then we can also cater to your newspaper & pillow preferences, treat you to a $10 bar credit and so on. No strings attached - promise!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've stayed at several Kimpton hotels and they continue to exceed my expectations. This hotel is located in a touristy area of SF, but once you're inside it's really nice. Staff is great, rooms are clean, updated and have comfortable beds. Concierge gave great restaurant recommendations. Would recommend this hotel to my friends and family traveling for pleasure.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can to a deluxe room. Several of the rooms face to an inward part of the building, w...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thanks, John S. We'll share your appreciation with the concierge. We all love to give "Live Local" recommendations (think: hole-in-the-wall Dim Sum where your room attendant dines with her family), but of course the concierge team has incredible and diverse knowledge.
I see you're a Kimpton loyalist (hopefully a Kimpton InTouch member), and I am so happy to read that we provided the kind of boutique experience (and comfy bed) you've come to expect from us!
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were fortunate enough to do our research to select both this hotel and a room to the front of the property.
We were greeted when we arrived by one of the ever friendly doormen decked out in his pith helmet - and then continued on into the buzzing hotel lobby full of guests enjoying the early evening drinks 'meet and greet' hour. Quite a first impression.
The room overlooked Alcatraz Island directly from Fishermans Wharf - a pleasant experience to wake up to.
The location of the hotel was quite superb at the quieter end of Fishermans Wharf - but so accessible with the easy access to the Embarcedo tramline and the Hyde-Powell cable car terminus point just to the side of the hotel. Much of San Frans maritime history surrounds the heritage hotel.
We would recommend the hotels Blue Mermaid restaurant for informal and tasty dining with good service from the team.
Other great things to do right on the door step include - hire cycle and head for the Golden Gate bridge - perhaps continue on to the other side of the bay and catch a ferry back - visit the Ghiradelli Building to indulge in chocolate or perhaps an ice-cream sundae - fresh sourdough bread at Boudins, freshly made clam chowder from the Wharf - ride a cable car again and again!
Just a top tip from us to advise on avoiding on to the internal and smaller rooms in the hotel - or you will miss out on some of the benefits of such a lovely location.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello, Debbiebp. You've made my day with your five-star review of this "superb" experience! I, too, love those Bay View rooms (the Golden Gate Bridge side is great, too!) and of course those doormen in their pith helmets are such characters -- I suppose you have to be to pull of that uniform! I'll let them know their friendly and upbeat welcome set the tone for your visit! While I'm at it, we'll share your kudos with the Blue Mermaid restaurant team and chef. I hope you got to taste his crab & corn chowder as that's THE chowder to have at the Wharf. Clams shmams -- it's crab season! (But if you want classic clam, we've got you covered there, too :)).