“great hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Groton, Massachusetts
“great hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

i have to go to oracle world for my job every fall and this was one of the best hotels ever! the staff is friendly and down to earth, they even gave us a pet goldfish for my daughter during our stay :-)

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the bay are best, inside rooms overlook a somewhat ugly courtyard...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jferst
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Hello, JFerst, and thank you! It's great to hear that we are your new favorite for those Oracle Open World business trips. Your daughter must have been thrilled to tag along for some fun in San Francisco. I'm glad she loved her goldfish friend in the room, and I hope she got to check out our Scavenger Hunt or Wii games, too? Off property, I have to make a plug for the sea lions over next to Pier 39. I could watch those guys all day, and it's fun for all ages to see them in action!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Our stay was fabulous and we were treated as well as our dog. Jerky treats, dog bags, towels for wet paws, and a basket full of toys all readily accessible upon entering the hotel. The wine reception was particularly friendly and enjoyable sitting in front of the cozy fireplace. Be sure to ask for a room with a bay view. Ours looked out over cable cars, Ghiradelli's, and the Golden Gate.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hi, m b!
I'm so happy that all two- and four-legged folks felt pampered and enjoyed a fun and relaxing stay with us! The view rooms overlooking the Bridge are my personal favorites. As the weather improves, you can dine on the patio with pets, provided they stay on the OUTside of the courtyard railing due to health code. Hope to see you again soon!
Perth WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

As soon as you step into the hotel it feels very comfortable and homely. We loved the nautical feel .. Wine in the lobby from 5 - 6pm was a lovely bonus, we expected a small taster but received full glasses - a very relaxed end to a days sightseeing. We didn't need staff more than to check in/out and order a cab, but the were warm, friendly and polite. Dogs are welcome in the hotel, which may not be to everyone's liking, but it didn't spoil our enjoyment and we would chose to stay here again

1 Thank AliinAus
Thank you, AliinAus! "Perfect" is enough to make my day! I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel amenities, and I do sometimes chuckle about the idea of wine "tasting" here from 5-6pm, because we're really more into wine DRINKING :). We are currently featuring Anchor Steam beer (how could we resist a brew that is both nautical and local?!) and some wintertime hot toddies too. Cheers!
Brooklyn NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Service was impressive and everyone so nice. Room had a great bed, sunny and cheery, clean, comfortable, pet friendly and quiet. Great San Francisco location. The lemon water in the lobby was delicious. Never made it for daily happy hour but staff offered us a drink on the house one night while conversing with him. It was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadtripfan66
Hi, RoadTripFan66!
I'm glad you found the bed comfy and the room cheery. What's more, I'm happy to hear you "caught" a crew member here being so sweet about offering you a glass of vino from the bar after our wine party had concluded for the night. I'm lucky to work with the team here. They look after each other and our guests with real heart!
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

I love Kimpton hotels. They are thoughtfully designed with so many conveniences and amenities, how could you not be happy?? But, really this hotel is even better than I have come to expect from Kimpton.

I had a room with a view of Alcatraz. Just beautiful and I could hear the sea lions barking! For a hotel in a very busy area of the city, the room was remarkably quiet. The bed was very comfortable, and I seriously WANT one of the star-shaped Argonaut pillows that decorate the beds. The hotel is near the cable car turn-around, so getting to downtown was very easy, and the neighborhood has lots to do and see.

The restaurant was amazing, and the crab and corn chowder which was recommended to me by the fellow who checked me in, is just delicious! Kimpton has totally changed my attitude toward hotel restaurants!

But what really makes this hotel special is the staff. Everyone I met from the front desk staff to the concierge, to the housekeepers and wait-staff were so friendly, kind and helpful. The Argonaut is a happy place to spend some time when you are in San Francisco. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I was in 349... which is beautiful. and although near both the elevator and the ice machine was quie...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank cjkingmd
Thank you, cjkingmd. I know exactly what you mean about "hotel restaurants" and I'm thrilled that Kimpton turned that paradigm upside down for you. I've let the chef know how much you loved your experience, and his award-winning chowder in particular. It is so addictive! Don't remind me :). I will share your praise with the front of house staff and those hardworking housekeeping folks as well. Thank you for recognizing their efforts!
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We booked here because of 1. The views promised on the waterfront and 2. The reviews here. We arrived to probably the friendliest front desk staff we've ever encountered and the were happy to tell us our room was ready early. The Bellman out front were just as friendly at all hours of the day.
We had booked the King Bay view room and were so glad we did. Our window faced right out to Alcatraz and the pier so we had lovely views all the time. It was surprising that given we were on such a busy street at new years the room was well insulated.
Decor was fun and modern, room and hotel very clean and inviting. We loved our stay and will book here again.

Room Tip: Ensure you nook the Bay view. It is a little more but you may be disappointed if you get an interior...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello, there, Jennenz! I'm happy to hear the view rooms and friendly team lived up to the high expectations you had after reading other reviews. Thank you for adding to the five star count! Guest feedback is invaluable to us. It's also great to know we helped you kick off the New Year with a nice quiet rest. Best wishes for 2014!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Our family of 4 (2 kids ages 5 and 4) stayed at the Argonaut over Thanksgiving break. The location is absolutely great - at the end of Fisherman Wharf, so everything is walking distance without the chaos. Our room was on the 4th floor, facing the Aquatic park so we had no problems at all with noise issues. Our window also faced the cable car stop (Hyde-Powell) and we could see the long lines every day. The room itself was really huge and clean. I loved the brick walls in our room, and the nautical theme was soothing and clean (exactly as pictured on the websites)
Service from the bell hop to the front desk was always courteous and pleasant. We absolutely enjoyed the complimentary wines during happy hour in the lobby - the kids got cider and felt so grown-up drinking out of their wine glasses! We ate twice at the restaurant and enjoyed both meals a lot. Being a Kimpton, all of their hotels are pet-friendly but you would never notice any fur or smell. This hotel is no exception! I would definitely stay there again!!
The only negative to the hotel is that the walls are a bit thin - I woke up at 4am a few times to the sounds of the neighbors being amorous... thank goodness my kids are heavy sleepers!
Oh, and valet for a large SUV was $60 a day (its the area rate!) so we parked a few blocks away in a parking garage for $30 a day with in-out privileges.
I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor, if you are concerned about street noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary S
Hi, Mary_S_F77! I do have to give credit to our housekeeping team for taking great care of the public areas and all guestrooms. We were renovated just under two years ago, though from the look of the rooms, you'd think it was even more recently than that! I'm glad the kids slept through that nighttime show and of course all kids love grown-up wine goblets for their sparkling cider, don't they? So cute! They are also welcome to try the wintertime warm cider with whipped cream... and no bourbon of course. (I want to keep my job!)