“Great!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hudson, New York
“Great!”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Clean, conveniently located on fisherman's wharf - right near cable cars and f line. Hotel staff friendly and helpful. Parking fee is expensive but everywhere in San Francisco is expensive for parking.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you, pamjayne58! I'm happy you enjoyed the service and Argonaut experience overall. If you rent a car next time, our concierge can help you to get the most out of it for the day and then ditch it so you can take off on foot and live the local life. The city transit system is truly amazing. I will admit the cable car is pretty darn slow, but it's worth it for the experience, and then you can take buses and cabs like we denizens do :).

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,108)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

If Jason in search of the "Toison d'or" stopped by, I can understand he stayed there forever! The Blue Mermaid restaurant staff is very friendly. One suggestion : to provide with parking space for Segway.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Reading up on Jason and my Greek mythology, I can see that the Golden Fleece was considered a royal rite, and I'm thrilled you felt like royalty here with us at the Argonaut/Blue Mermaid restaurant --- like Jason with the Fleece, or "the cat that caught the mouse."
Next, if you want to feel like the "kid in the candy shop," just head to Ghirardelli Square down the block for chocolates or to hit Kara's cupcakes....And that's where I run out of adages :).
Hartselle, Alabama
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The place was great and the people who work here are even better. We loved the room and the loocation and the set up. The people will help you in any way from directions to places to eat or just talk to you about things you have in common. Would highly suggest anyone looking for a great placeto stay go here.

Room Tip: Side room 425-428
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JEFSUSHAY
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you, JEFSUSHAY! I also enjoy talking with the crew here, and appreciate how "real" the staff are. (It's great when you can trust staff to be authentic, isn't it?!)
I'll let them know you enjoyed their local know-how. I hope you got to enjoy the managers' nightly wine party as well. We are still featuring the wintertime hot toddies, though they have become less popular with this mild winter weather of 2014!
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I planned on staying there with my daughter due to the location and easy access to the Hyde Street cable car as well as being just out side of "ground zero tourist trap". The location couldn't be better. I think it's the best location on the wharf. This hotel is a no brainer, it's a good value with a great staff and atmosphere. The concierge was great, Cha-Cha. He knew his restaurants.
My daugher and I watched the 49'ers play Seattle (9er's lost) in the Mermaid bar. It was nice!! Not a bunch of screaming nut-cases. The Mermaid bar was great, I wish they did have a few more beers on tap, but still a GREAT place with good food. If you want to stay at a place on the wharf that FOR SURE you'll enjoy, stay at the Argonaut. I'll be back!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
713BobM713, I'm sorry about those 49ers, but so happy you enjoyed watching the game at our very own Blue Mermaid Chowder House. The local Anchor Steam and chef's magic crab & corn chowder can calm any nerves. Remember that as a hotel guest you can enjoy a free side dish of his famous chowder with any entree!
usa
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Argonaut hotel in SF. This was a great hotel. It is in an old DOLE factory so brick walls were every where and the rooms were very large and spacious. The beds were very comfortable. We chose this hotel because it offered queen size beds, which we need with teenage boys. The rooms also come with animal print robes which my boys had fun wearing!! The hotel is in a great location on the wharf and next to the cable car turnaround. The restaurant has amazing sourdough chowders that you must try. Another nice touch was the hot chocolate and hot toddy bar set up in the lobby in the early evening. It was quite cool in SF while we were there and returning to the warm drinks was such a nice touch. My kids loved this!! The staff were so friendly and helpful. The bellman and doormen were great and gave us so much useful information while we were there. We will now be looking for Kipton Hotels when we travel!!

Green Features: Dogs were allowed in the hotel. we heard a few barking while we were walking the hallways but never while we were in the room..
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you, Brevin! I'm glad you are now a Kimpton loyalist! I definitely recommend signing up for our free loyalty club when you have a moment since it sounds like you could make use of the perks. Meanwhile, I'll share your shout-out with our chef and chowdermaster. The warm drinks in the lobby will also keep going into March if you want to come back and see us again... :)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 January 2014

For the first time in all my travels, I felt like I was speaking to a human being at the front desk -- not a pre-programmed robot reciting memorized lines. The doorman offered me and my friends a long list of restaurant recommendations, and even our housekeeper gave us tips for avoiding long lines at a nearby popular breakfast joint. Every staff member I encountered seemed to know the city inside and out. Everyone was so incredibly down-to-earth and helpful, and I couldn't have felt more at-home during my stay.

The Argonaut had all of the awesome little quirks you'd expect from a standard Kimpton hotel (complimentary wine hour, animal print robes, etc.) but what makes the Argonaut so special is their location. It neighbors Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf -- there's so much to do around the hotel that we didn't need to hail a cab once during our entire time in SF! The hotel decor was nautical themed (hence the name, Argonaut) and felt very fitting, like it was meant to be an extension of its surroundings. The room itself looked a little outdated, but it was comfortable, clean, and cozy nonetheless.

I couldn't be more pleased with my experience at the Argonaut, and I can't wait to stay with them again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor facing the Ghirardelli Square, as pedestrians can see into your room...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Kimberly C, you've made our day over here at the Argonaut! Your review reflects so many of our goals and values, and the way you describe the staff's humility and authenticity is so rewarding. As a company, we never script our employees. We try to hire the right people, give them some guidance, and then get out of the way for the most part -- letting them do what they do so well! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for validating this empowerment and sharing your praise with our team. They will be delighted to read this!
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

we were undecided on the wharf or Union sq. The wharf is the best place to stay and this is a great hotel The staff were very good and helpful We enjoyed the wine hour good local wines but if you want a seat go early Great sleep quality no disturbance and very comfortable bed well laid out bathroom The cable car is next to hotel

Room Tip: ask for a bay view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barry L
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Thank you, Barry L! We're happy you chose the Wharf, and loved the convenience of our location next to the cable car line to Union Square. Every month, we offer different wineries with a charitable/eco-focus, and lately we've been augmenting with our own very local, very nautical Anchor Steam beer, a great brew from the Potrero Hill neighborhood across town. But, back to you: thanks for sharing, and I'm thrilled you enjoyed such a quiet and comfy night atop our pillowtop bed. We'll share your praise with the crew as well!