“Outstanding Hotel with Great Ambiance”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville, TN
“Outstanding Hotel with Great Ambiance”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We spent four nights here on Spring Break. We loved the sophisticated decor, location, and charm, with the city's fabled wharf beckoning right outside the doors. The furnishings are quality and upscale. This was a great arrangement for our family--the suite layout worked well for us and for the kids. As others have noted, the doormen were especially charming. The kids enjoyed grabbing a toy from the hotel's "treasure chest" each day, which was a nice touch. The only miss was the hotel's restaurant. The food was good once it arrived, but the staff seemed curiously overwhelmed at breakfast on a weekday when the place was not overly crowded. Overall this is a super place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thanks, Alapride! I'm glad that our pith-helmet-wearing doormen were their usual fun and helpful selves. I always find it funny when I see pictures of them on TripAdvisor... our mini celebrities here at the ship! I hope your kids also got to check out the scavenger hunt or maybe the Maritime Museum that goes into all those historic details (in an interactive way)? We are always looking for little things to engage them. When I was a kid, I know I PLAGUED my own parents by saying "I'm bored" till they forbid me from using the word :).
I also appreciate your feedback about the breakfast servers that day. I have sent a copy of your your observations to my colleagues at the Blue Mermaid. Feel free to drop us a line if you have a moment to share any details regarding time/date/server. Meanwhile, we'll keep an eye out and work to ensure speedy service all the time! Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Location: Located right in the San Fran Wharf area. Close to everything.

Duration of stay: 3 nights

Trip type: Business trip

Staff: Everyone I have encountered has been extremely friendly and inviting. The maid service was exceptional.

Value: For under $300, you can not beat the price for this hotel.
Extras for value: 1. Wifi included; 2. Local taxi service included; 3. There is a list of about 30 items - if you forget they will bring to you for free

Decor: What you get here is a very clean and new feeling hotel but not the standard hotel decor. With the brick exposed walls and "Wharf wood" it truly has great character. Bed was very comfortable and clean. The lobby area is very nice and inviting.

Overall: Very rarely do I give 5 stars but they truly did deserve it. I travel a lot for business and this place is fantastic. Whenever I come to San Fran and need to stay in this area - I will not stay any where else.

Well done!!!! Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: All seemed good.
Green Features: Just from my view - eco option on heating/cooling unit.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thanks, Michael! Five stars taste that much sweeter when a reviewer mentions that he is a hard grader and doesn't bestow that top rating very often.
I've shared your praise with the housekeeping team. I'm happy the design and their efforts to keep the room immaculate really impressed you!
It's also great to see you got to enjoy some of the free perks. I definitely recommend the first-come, first-served free bike rental, though perhaps BEFORE drinking the free wine :).
Seattle area
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Spent 5 nights here for our anniversary and thought the location is great. It is right on the water front walking distance to everything and very close to the F Train station if you want to go further in to town. The rooms were nice and the hotel was clean. The only reason I am not going 5 stars is the staff tended to be hit or miss.
When we arrived John the Doorman (who is great) asks us about our trip and we told him it is our anniversary and we decided to come to San Francisco for a week. He was friendly and warm and walked us to the front desk and announced to the desk staff "these folks are here on their 20th anniversary isn't that great" desk clerk looks up like we just interrupter her day and says "we don't have any suites" Um OK. I didn't ask that and we have reservations but thanks for the info.
The hotel had a sign up that mentioned complimentary bicycles so we went to the front desk the next morning and asked the desk clerk about them she replied "there is a women in front of you with 4, and she isn't even here yet so you should go wait over there" and goes back to looking off in to space. I have no idea what that means so asked her to repeat it and she does only faster with the exact same words. I walk off and a few minutes later see the concierge returning to her podium and ask her for assistance. The concierge is great and helpful and we are on the bikes headed down the street in no time.
Basically every interaction I had with the doormen was good, the bell desk guys (Ethan seemed to be there whenever I needed any thing) and the concierge was great. The desk clerks were another matter entirely.
ONE MORE THING---the maids tend to walk in even if you have the do not disturb sign up. We checked in early 1:15 and at 2pm our door opens, no knock, and a maid walked in. We were startled and so was she. She apologized and left. The last day we were there check out is at 12am, we have the DO NOT DISTURB light on and the door locked at 10:45 no knock but the door comes swinging open and it is housekeeping. I was just finishing packing our bags but still it was more than an hour until check out and the DO NOT DISTURB LIGHT was on AND she didn't knock. When did that become common practice?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Me&Boo
Hello, Me & Boo,
Thank you for your review. I am eager to get to the bottom of these inconsistencies right away. Can you please give me a call here at the hotel at your earliest convenience? I would really appreciate the chance to prevent these mistakes in the future. Thank you!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Upon arrival, we were immediately in another world. The place exudes a rustic marine charm, and we happened to arrive just as happy hour was starting (FREE drinks), who could say no? The bed was extremely comfy, and the rooms were just the right size. On our last of two nights here, we upgraded to a room with the view of Alcatraz which was pretty neat. Front reception was very helpful with our delayed baggage.

Fisherman's Wharf is a wonderful place to explore, especially the markets at the other end (you'll want to take the tram). We did our research on where to stay, and were so glad we stayed here. Would happily stay again when we return one day.

Room Tip: Don't get a first-floor room. Try for a room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tangerine12345
Thanks so much, Tangerine12345! 'exuding charm' should be our daily goal and -- yes! -- we have many advantages here with the neat historic building! I hope that you got a chance to check out the Maritime Museum run by the National Park Service and their rangers. They also do a weekend morning (10:30am) tour that I like to talk up. I know that nothing enchants our guests like that wine party you mention, though :). It's a great place to meet folks from around the world and trade travel tips!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We loved the entire experience of this hotel. Our children were invited to pick a prize from the 'treasure box' upon arrival, our room was beautiful & spacious and we enjoyed the cocktail hour in the lobby, especially since the children & pets were welcomed!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kampergal
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thanks, kampergal! Happy b-day to you/your family companion!
I'm happy the experience was fun for all ages.
We are happy to provide the non-alcoholic sparkling cider at the nightly hosted wine party. The kids' eyes light up. A little bubbly for them alongside the beer/wine for grown-ups!
Also, in addition to the treasure chest you mentioned, we do have a scavenger hunt, Wii machine, and board games to help keep everyone entertained. Then the city has so many fun sights of course, not the least of which is the National Park Service's free Maritime Museum right here!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the argonaut; the friendly staff, the complimentary wine tasting, the scavenger hunt for the kids, the location right at the waterfront and next to the cable car stop, an excellent Maritime museum on-site (free admission), the charming rooms, even the music playing in the lobby was hip and to our taste. Our only complaint was that the Internet was a bit slow, but that's a small thing compared to the rest of the things this hotel offers.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet V
Thanks, Janet V! I'm delighted you had time to enjoy some of those little perks like the scavenger hunt and on-site Maritime Museum. The National Park Service rangers also run an historic tour from here on weekend mornings. Then again, I understand kids are often a little more psyched about playing the Wii. I'll look into that internet issue - did you report it to the IT folks? I want to make sure we are always living up to the Kimpton promise of fast, free wifi!
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Rooms were fine - wildly decorated like other Kimpton hotels. Service was friendly, Wi-Fi good. Stay was fine, but we didn't like the neighborhood -- funny combination of crowded with people and things yet felt like there wasn't much for us nearby -- no great restaurants or sights.
Next time would try another Kimpton elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hi there, NJFamilyAdventures -
Thanks for your loyalty to Kimpton, and I'm happy you like the playful decor of the rooms. The designers wanted each guest to have a sense of "place" and embrace the historic beams and brick while providing some modern luxury at the same time.
If you do decide to give the Wharf neighborhood another shot, we all love to talk about local food and attractions. We can point you in the direction of anything from the Codmother fish & chips truck to the fine dining at Gary Danko up the hill. In between, my weakness is Kara's Cupcakes at the Ghirardelli building. Rent one of our free bikes in the morning and you can justify the calories :).