“A lovely hotel”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We've just returned after a 6 night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary.I would like a big Thank You to Joe(The night Auditor) I had been in contact with him as we had booked a deluxe room with a view via Virgin Holidays,who were useless.As a special occasion I wanted to make sure the hotel had received our request,we understood the views are subject to availability,Joe made a note on our booking and he came up trumps,we had a room on the 3rd floor with a perfect view of Alcatraz.
Unfortunately as has been mentioned before the front desk was a let down on arrival & departure.We were handed the rooms keys & then she engaged in conversation with another member of staff,so we had to go and ask someone else,one of the doorman how to get to the room.The checkout was just as poor,handed the keys back,and that would have been it had I not instigated "we had a nice stay Thank You" to the lady.All the other staff we had contact with were very polite & helpful,from the Doormen to the concierge,it's a shame the front desk cannot be more welcoming or hope you stay with us again as you walk away,maybe I was unlucky twice.
We did experience a few times of children running around the room above early morning,and some noisy people outside but this is not the hotels fault.
The quality of the beds,bedding was really good,the beds were very comfy.The toiletries were very nice C.O Bigelow exclusive to Kimpton.The bathroom was nice,never had a issue with the shower,plenty of hot water.Not sure if all rooms had the wild tiger/zebra pattern dressing gowns,we did laugh.
The rooms were kept clean,there is Starbucks for the coffee makers in the room,we went to walgreens only 5 mins away to get some milk,which is far nicer than the dried powder.The free wine hour was visited 3 times as we had trips/baseball planned.They did change the wine to one from Chile during our stay,which surprised us being in California,and the lady serving it said it was new to her,what about a local winery with bottles to buy to promote local wine,they also had Anchor Steam Beer during the happy hour.We did witness a group turn up approx 20 or so,a few blokes went straight to the people setting up for 5pm grabbed a few beers,then the rest of the group went over to get a drink,they then all disappeared into a meeting room,exited 10 mins before the end at 6pm,got some more drinks then left,they weren't hotel guests,but maybe they had a agreement with the hotel.
We used the F train outside walgreens a few times $2 and it will get you to Union Sq,we did a fair bit of walking,Lombard St is not far away.We found a good pub 5 mins away overlooking the bay at the top Ghiradelli Sq,really nice staff,good food,reasonable price.
The Hyde Pier & Maritime Museum are nice to visit.Pier 39 is about a 15-20 minute wander go & see the seals.If you can go & watch the SF Giants it's a great stadium at the AT & T park,a nice easy walk as well no hills.If you want to use a streetcar go early it's just opposite the hotel.
A couple of great places to eat that are close by are Hollywood Cafe(there can be an hour wait at weekends) We went twice,the staff are friendly & good food,the other is In-in-out burger,we've never seen this chain before,the burgers were very tasty,and incredible value,lovely fries & shakes.
Overall we really liked this hotel,and would recommend it,but we would suggest a room with a view,as mentioned we had a Deluxe,going forward I will look for a Kimpton Hotel when we return to the US as a high preference.I forgot to say they cater for dogs,and this was never a issue.Thank You Argonaut for a lovely stay.
If anyone wants any questions please don't hesitate to ask and I will try and help where I can.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Hi, Skeeter68!
Thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience for us. I can tell you are very helpful to other travelers, and I bet they appreciate it when you assist with their questions!
I would love to know more about your room reservation if you have a moment to help me out as well. I'd be so appreciative if you could give me a call with your surname and stay dates. I'll make sure to share your feedback, and of course the kudos to Joe! Thanks.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,945)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Argonaut has much going for it, although it is not the flagship of the Kimpton Hotels. The location is unbeatable for view and proximity to attractions, restaurants and shopping. The site is a refurbished cannery with a beautiful blend of old and new. The concierges (we talked with Nathalie and Terry) are knowledgeable and gracious. The adjacent maritime museum is free and worth a visit. But there are a few drawbacks to the perfect visit. While the food and staff in the restaurant were good, we had the worst Ramos Fizz and Bloody Mary ever. We also had a cold room service breakfast on Sunday morning. And it was a big disappointment to be so near the water and yet have a view of the unlovely central "courtyard". So if you choose this hotel, and it is worth considering, be sure to book a water view and choose your beverages carefully.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room on the outside of the building, preferably with a water view. You may get a b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Siddog,
Thanks for the heads up about those cocktails falling flat. Feel free to drop me a line and I can look into who was bartending in the restaurant that day.
I'm glad that you loved the location and the service, though I see that you might prefer a view room. Keep in mind that if you want to economize a bit, there is a "Deluxe" level in between bay view and non-view. The Deluxe rooms offer an exterior look at the city/Cannery/park. Usually they are just $30-50 dollars additional per night. Thanks again and we'll make sure to share this review with Terry and Natalie from the concierge team!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights at end of March for our 10th wedding anniversary. We upgraded to a bay view and my wife emailed the hotel to politely enquire about any further possible upgrades. Sadly the hotel didn't even bother to reply to her, which was very rude.

The hotel itself is very funky and unusual. Our first room was on the side of the building (3rd floor) and to say it had a bay view was stretching it. We should have gone back downstairs and complained but we were so tired after our journey we didn't (much to my regret). Our room had a view of the cable car not the bay. It was also very noisy. The room above presumably had kids or a troupe of tap dancers who jumped up and down all night. There was also lots of traffic noise around the side. After an awful nights sleep my wife went downstairs to complain and in fairness they moved us later that day. They also moved all our bags etc for us and were very helpful.

The new room (4th floor) had a bay view ( Alcatraz was our view) and to be honest was the room I expected we would get when we paid for an upgrade. It was quiet too and we had a great night sleep. Bellboys, front desk and concierge are very helpful. The hotel is very good with fre wine tasting for one hour in the evening.

Would I stay here again? Yes. I'm still disappointed they didn't bother respond to our email. That's a really poor show

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, BionicFrank,
The same friendly folks who assisted you from the reception team are also in charge of responses to our general mail account, and they are usually quick to get back to guests. Please do let me know the listed recipients and timing of your email and I will look into it with the team.
I see that the lack of response to your message set everything off on a bad foot and I'd definitely like to prevent this in the future! I can also look into the room type questions you mentioned as well.
Thank you.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We spent four nights here on Spring Break. We loved the sophisticated decor, location, and charm, with the city's fabled wharf beckoning right outside the doors. The furnishings are quality and upscale. This was a great arrangement for our family--the suite layout worked well for us and for the kids. As others have noted, the doormen were especially charming. The kids enjoyed grabbing a toy from the hotel's "treasure chest" each day, which was a nice touch. The only miss was the hotel's restaurant. The food was good once it arrived, but the staff seemed curiously overwhelmed at breakfast on a weekday when the place was not overly crowded. Overall this is a super place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thanks, Alapride! I'm glad that our pith-helmet-wearing doormen were their usual fun and helpful selves. I always find it funny when I see pictures of them on TripAdvisor... our mini celebrities here at the ship! I hope your kids also got to check out the scavenger hunt or maybe the Maritime Museum that goes into all those historic details (in an interactive way)? We are always looking for little things to engage them. When I was a kid, I know I PLAGUED my own parents by saying "I'm bored" till they forbid me from using the word :).
I also appreciate your feedback about the breakfast servers that day. I have sent a copy of your your observations to my colleagues at the Blue Mermaid. Feel free to drop us a line if you have a moment to share any details regarding time/date/server. Meanwhile, we'll keep an eye out and work to ensure speedy service all the time! Thank you.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Location: Located right in the San Fran Wharf area. Close to everything.

Duration of stay: 3 nights

Trip type: Business trip

Staff: Everyone I have encountered has been extremely friendly and inviting. The maid service was exceptional.

Value: For under $300, you can not beat the price for this hotel.
Extras for value: 1. Wifi included; 2. Local taxi service included; 3. There is a list of about 30 items - if you forget they will bring to you for free

Decor: What you get here is a very clean and new feeling hotel but not the standard hotel decor. With the brick exposed walls and "Wharf wood" it truly has great character. Bed was very comfortable and clean. The lobby area is very nice and inviting.

Overall: Very rarely do I give 5 stars but they truly did deserve it. I travel a lot for business and this place is fantastic. Whenever I come to San Fran and need to stay in this area - I will not stay any where else.

Well done!!!! Keep up the great work.

Room Tip: All seemed good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael M
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thanks, Michael! Five stars taste that much sweeter when a reviewer mentions that he is a hard grader and doesn't bestow that top rating very often.
I've shared your praise with the housekeeping team. I'm happy the design and their efforts to keep the room immaculate really impressed you!
It's also great to see you got to enjoy some of the free perks. I definitely recommend the first-come, first-served free bike rental, though perhaps BEFORE drinking the free wine :).

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Spent 5 nights here for our anniversary and thought the location is great. It is right on the water front walking distance to everything and very close to the F Train station if you want to go further in to town. The rooms were nice and the hotel was clean. The only reason I am not going 5 stars is the staff tended to be hit or miss.
When we arrived John the Doorman (who is great) asks us about our trip and we told him it is our anniversary and we decided to come to San Francisco for a week. He was friendly and warm and walked us to the front desk and announced to the desk staff "these folks are here on their 20th anniversary isn't that great" desk clerk looks up like we just interrupter her day and says "we don't have any suites" Um OK. I didn't ask that and we have reservations but thanks for the info.
The hotel had a sign up that mentioned complimentary bicycles so we went to the front desk the next morning and asked the desk clerk about them she replied "there is a women in front of you with 4, and she isn't even here yet so you should go wait over there" and goes back to looking off in to space. I have no idea what that means so asked her to repeat it and she does only faster with the exact same words. I walk off and a few minutes later see the concierge returning to her podium and ask her for assistance. The concierge is great and helpful and we are on the bikes headed down the street in no time.
Basically every interaction I had with the doormen was good, the bell desk guys (Ethan seemed to be there whenever I needed any thing) and the concierge was great. The desk clerks were another matter entirely.
ONE MORE THING---the maids tend to walk in even if you have the do not disturb sign up. We checked in early 1:15 and at 2pm our door opens, no knock, and a maid walked in. We were startled and so was she. She apologized and left. The last day we were there check out is at 12am, we have the DO NOT DISTURB light on and the door locked at 10:45 no knock but the door comes swinging open and it is housekeeping. I was just finishing packing our bags but still it was more than an hour until check out and the DO NOT DISTURB LIGHT was on AND she didn't knock. When did that become common practice?

1  Thank Me&Boo

Hello, Me & Boo,
Thank you for your review. I am eager to get to the bottom of these inconsistencies right away. Can you please give me a call here at the hotel at your earliest convenience? I would really appreciate the chance to prevent these mistakes in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Upon arrival, we were immediately in another world. The place exudes a rustic marine charm, and we happened to arrive just as happy hour was starting (FREE drinks), who could say no? The bed was extremely comfy, and the rooms were just the right size. On our last of two nights here, we upgraded to a room with the view of Alcatraz which was pretty neat. Front reception was very helpful with our delayed baggage.

Fisherman's Wharf is a wonderful place to explore, especially the markets at the other end (you'll want to take the tram). We did our research on where to stay, and were so glad we stayed here. Would happily stay again when we return one day.

Room Tip: Don't get a first-floor room. Try for a room with a view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tangerine12345

Thanks so much, Tangerine12345! 'exuding charm' should be our daily goal and -- yes! -- we have many advantages here with the neat historic building! I hope that you got a chance to check out the Maritime Museum run by the National Park Service and their rangers. They also do a weekend morning (10:30am) tour that I like to talk up. I know that nothing enchants our guests like that wine party you mention, though :). It's a great place to meet folks from around the world and trade travel tips!