“Top Place To Stay in San Fran”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #15 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I (Australians) recently had a holiday in USA and began with 4 nights in San Fran where we stayed at The Argonaut. I had found the place via an online search and when I booked it I was concerned it may too far away from the City itself. I needn't have worried !

Great location, lovely building and rooms are fine. And every person we met who worked there was warm and friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Wy wife believes this Hotel helped us enjoy San Fran in general.

Couple of really small gripes - I messaged them twice (via their website) to confirm our reservation but they never answered either query despite several weeks notice. And no kettle in the rooms is a bit of a nuisance ..... there is a coffee percolator so if that's your thing then great; but my wife and I drink tea so as I say a bit of a pain.

That said, if we ever get back to SF, there is only one place we will be staying - The Argonaut !

Stayed: May 2014
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thanks, Saintsly7! It is so delightful to hear that your wife was commenting about how the hotel helped you to enjoy the city in general. We are pretty lucky to have this location, and all the neat history/character that comes with it.
Feel free to drop me a line with the details of whom you messaged when regarding your booking; we are normally very responsive to correspondence so that is alarming! As for the tea, yes, I know, the American way of making tea in a coffee pot is blasphemy to some of our foreign visitors, so please know that we are always happy to send the hot water up through room service. (We don't have the boiling kettles in the rooms themselves for safety reasons).
Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (6,020)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent place to stay in San Francisco. Traveled with three other women, and all the luggage, etc that is needed for a week of multiple activities, and the room was not crowded. The decor is every bit as charming as the pictures portray, but the room is actually more spacious than the photos show. We stayed in a Q/Q room, and there were 3 night stands, so each of us had our own light and a place to put items by our bedside. The room has an abundance of electrical outlets and charger stations for all the technology we now travel with. Very clean and comfortable, and whenever we needed anything they immediately sent someone up with it. I saw one employee dash off the elevator holding a travel size toothpaste tube some other guest required. Everyone I had contact with was polite, friendly, and efficient. The location is wonderful, the free wine hour every afternoon was much appreciated, and the restaurant has delicious crab and corn chowder. The Argonaut helped make our first visit to California a great experience, and we hope to return soon, and definitely choose the Argonaut again! Many thanks!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Hello, Y'all 4TexasGirls :)!
Thanks for visiting us and sharing your story. I know just what you mean about how all of our gadgets require the outlets, and of course the free wifi is key too. I'm glad the little touches and the service from the team made you feel right at home here in SF. We are indeed lucky to be one of the few hotels in town that has rooms big enough to accomodate two queens. Most of the city's rooms offer two double (or full) size mattresses, and no one wants to sleep that close to their companion--even if they don't kick in the night :)!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

As are other Kimpton hotels I've stayed in, this one has a fun, hip atmosphere with warm, professional, responsive staff and the rooms are very nicely appointed. What makes this one stand out is the terrific location--right on the Embarcadero with all the crazy touristy stuff in one direction, and a marine park with outstanding waterfront jogging in the other direction. Some rooms have water views, although the fact that this is a historic warehouse does mean that the windows are a bit too small to give you an extensive view. RIght around the corner is a cable car stop that, if you have time to wait on line, will take you all the way down to the BART station on Market St. so you can go completely car-less. The on-site restaurant is okay--there are dishes such as the chowders that get rave reviews from others, although I didn't try them.

Room Tip: The King view room is nice, and includes a little sitting area with a sofa.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Hi, Byelka! Happy to see you are a Kimpton fan and you had such a great visit here with us. (If you're not already in our loyalty club, it's FREE to join... really!... but this is not the time for plugs.) I wanted to thank you for your review and let you know that the front desk does have some fun "Chowder Cards" if you'd like to try that famous appetizer on your next trip. The card is any hotel guest's passport to a complimentary crab & corn chowder appetizer with their entree purchase. It's definitely a highlight, and an award winner, so I hope we can hook you up next time!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although we live in Sacramento, we stayed at the Argonaut overnight since we were going to a Giants game. We booked a king suite and I was very impressed with the design of the room. The suite was huge. It had a huge living/dining area and separate bedroom. Everything was very tastefully decorated. I couldn't believe that the dining table sat 6 people! The bathroom had a huge soaking/Jacuzzi tub that could easily fit 2 people. The staff was very friendly. Although there were few downsides there were a few: we were in suite 201 and we had to keep the shutters closed because we were street level and there were pedestrians walking by, the mattress is so firm that I woke up with a back ache (and I usually prefer a firm mattress) and we requested a crib and it never came (I was actually going to call down about it but then it was late so I just let the baby sleep with us). Since I only stayed there one night, I am not writing off The Argonaut and will definitely give them another chance in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hi, Jenniferredd! Isn't that suite gigantic? I love those 900-square foot ones, and the super-deep 2-person tub doesn't hurt, either. Sometimes our guests will grab a glass of wine at the nightly reception and then enjoy vino and jacuzzi jets -- doubly relaxing! I would check into a suite myself one day but they're pretty much always booked :). Thanks for the heads up about the crib -- we'll make sure communication is at 100% between the front desk and housekeeping -- and in the meanwhile I'm thrilled that you'll be back! Also, though the beds are pillowtops, we can always add an additional layer of feather comforter to the bed to give you that extra cloud-like experience :).

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Argonaut hotel at the end of March prior to going on a cruise . This was our first visit to the US and we were nervous. However, we were made very welcome as soon as we arrived.The doorman was very helpful and all the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us! The room was spacious with a king sized bed and a comfortable matress-great for catching up with our missed sleep. There was a restaurant attached to the hotel which provided tasty food, breakfasts and other meals, including their signature clam chowder. We soon learnt to order one meal and share-the portions were so generous. It was a great start to our holiday, and being on Fisherman's Wharf there were plenty of restaurants to eat out and sights to see, including the cable car terminus. We will definately be back!

Room Tip: Our room was inside overlooking a large central area. There was plenty of light but, if you want a r...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Aw, thanks, Rosemary W! It is so satisfying to see that our team -- from the doormen onward -- were your warm welcome ambassadors to the United States. That's a neat privilege, and I'm happy to know they represented America well, and then the comfy bed helped you beat the jet lag!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel from May 20-24th. Our experience was nothing but positive. We were greeted by the friendly doorman (Donovan?) immediately and sent to the front desk. Check-in was seamless, and our room was fantastic. We didn't pay extra for a view, so we were just facing other hotel rooms, but I knew that's what I was getting. Ethan the concierge was available to us throughout out trip, and he gave us great tips and advice. Check-out was just as seamless as check-in, and we were immediately in a cab and on our way to the airport. This hotel is themed adorably and we were able to enjoy the free happy hour. The best part about this hotel is the location. It is walking distance to pretty much every major attraction and is also literally next door to the cable car turnaround if you want to go somewhere else. This hotel is worth every dollar.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks a lot, Ashley! I love reading about this seamless check-in and check-out, and all that goodness in between. We'll share your praise with Donavan the doorman. He is so warm and funny -- the guy seriously cracks me up each and every week. Then Ethan is a transplant from Portland, OR, but he's quickly learned the city like the back of his hand. We all love to share local tips so feel free to ask anytime :).

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in the Argonaut twice, first for one night and then 3 nights. The first night we arrived rather late from Hawaii (10.30 pm) and due to the time difference we had very little to eat. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed and room service was only available till 10.30 pm, meaning we could not get anything in the hotel I would expect that a 4 star hotel has at least some facilities for people arriving late. The room was nice and clean, unfortunately we could not open any window so we had to sleep with the AC on the whole night which is not ideal.

We checked out the next morning and I was asked whether anything from the minibar was consumed, which was not, I did not use the minibar key which we received. A couple of days later I saw that in addition to the bill another amount from the hotel was taken from my credit card. Since we would return to the hotel I left it to check. I did so and the hotel seemingly charged my card for a bottle of water which was in the room. Indeed we consumed this and I was unaware that this was at an additional charge. Normally a bottle of water in hotels of this type is complementary. I told the hotel that I was of course fine paying I but I think it would have been nice that if they take some extra from a customer credit card that you inform the customer on that for example through an email.

Our second stay was again in a very comfortable room, the only comment I have is that the bathroom was really small ( room 269). Also I feel that taking a shower in a bath is not that great, we had that in both rooms. Finally the location of the hotel is nice and also the staff is nice and helpful.

1  Thank Esther1606
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Hello, Ester1606! Thank you for visiting us all the way from Amsterdam. I do understand that our bathrooms are a bit less spacious than the bedrooms, though you might enjoy a suite for that separate shower and jacuzzi soaking tub arrangement. Alternately, as a middle category, our Deluxe rooms offer the normal American shower/tub combination, but the windows do open for those who enjoy fresh air as they sleep as you mention. (The windows can also be closed for soundproofing of course). I hope that we can find a room option that you will prefer, and we'll have the chance to see you here again!