“Great location, great vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee, WI
“Great location, great vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend and could not have been more pleased. The hotel is located in a great area-very close to almost everything you could ask for. The rooms were nice sized, very clean and great service. We had a wonderful experience with the concierge desk as well- they were very willing to help with anything we needed! When I come back to the city, I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hi, Vacationlover22!
I'm so happy to hear that we'll be your hotel of choice when you return to SF! We'll share your praise with the team and let those housekeeping ladies know that their hard work does get noticed! Our concierge staff also loves to know when their recommendations and help with the legwork really make the stay seamless as well. Thanks for your comments!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Argonaut for 5 nights in April 2014. I liked the quirky, nautical design of the hotel and the location was very convenient. Unfortunately, both the quality of the rooms and service did not deliver as expected.

The rooms are very spacious and sufficiently clean. However, the walls are very thin and you can audibly hear running water through the bathroom pipes at all times. The ventilation system was also very noisy and woke me up at night. Water pressure in the shower was weak and the temperature didn’t exceed lukewarm. The bed was uncomfortable and lighting in the room is very sparse.

The best thing about the hotel is the location on the West corner of Fisherman’s Wharf, which is central but not in the middle of all the crowds. I was hesitant about staying somewhere so touristy but the spectacular Bay views near the hotel instantly put me in holiday mode. The Powell- Hyde line cable car is literally around the corner. The ‘F’ street car, which runs from Fisherman’s Wharf to Castro via Market Street, is a couple of blocks away on Jones Street. Starbucks, In-N-Out Burger, and Walgreen’s, where you can buy a Muni Visitor Pass, are within 2 blocks from the hotel. The hotel attempted to charge me $10 at check-out for the mini-bar, even though nothing had been taken.

I pre-paid a few months in advance so that I could ascertain a cheaper rate and I still don’t believe I received value for money. I stayed at two different hotels in other U.S. cities after my trip to San Francisco, both of which were booked at very similar rates but far exceeded the Argonaut both in quality and service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank emskii_m
Hello, emz_M!
I totally understand that SF hotel prices can feel a bit steep relative to other U.S. destinations, though we do try to build in value with our location, bike rental program, "Forgot It? We've Got It!" amenity offerings, chowder promotions, wine party, on-site museum, etc... though perhaps we could do more to publicize everything that makes the hotel a great value. Also, many folks don't know about our loyalty club, which includes a FREE newspaper and $10 minibar credit for each eligible stay!
I would love to look into these weird plumbing issues, too. We don't have issues here with running out of hot water or losing water pressure, though perhaps there is a particular valve that was having issues in your room. Feel free to drop me a line with the room number if you have a moment; we'd appreciate the chance to diagnose or ensure the problem is resolved!
Thank you.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed for three nights. I was interested in staying at Fisherman's Wharf, and the trip advisor reviews helped me pick this hotel. However, we were on a West Coast trip from Seattle to San Diego, and I was booking hotels a day or two in advance, and unfortunately, this hotel was not available which was very disappointing. However, the morning we left, I checked again and there was availability, so I was able to book the three nights.

I sure was lucky, as this was a great boutique hotel. The location was awesome and the beds were super comfortable. The concierge came through when we found out that Alcatraz was not available and she steered us to a vendor who had 5 tickets left. We had to pay more than the normal price, but he threw in 2 hour biking and a city tour as well.

The lobby was very comfortable and had a fireplace going all day. The restaurant at the hotel was the blue mermaid and the food did not disappoint.

If you happen to stay here, and want some ice cream, don't bother walking over to Ghiardelli Square or Ben and Jerry's next door. In the court yard is Normans, and their sundae's are to die for. That was also recommended by the concierge and rated highly by Fodor's and Trip Advisor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Frank L
Thanks so much, Frank L! I have shared your review with our (ice-cream-fanatical) concierge and she will be glad to know you enjoyed Alcatraz and the visit overall. Thanks for trying out our very own Blue Mermaid restaurant, too; I'm happy you enjoyed the meal, and no doubt tried the famous crab & corn chowder...?
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I (Australians) recently had a holiday in USA and began with 4 nights in San Fran where we stayed at The Argonaut. I had found the place via an online search and when I booked it I was concerned it may too far away from the City itself. I needn't have worried !

Great location, lovely building and rooms are fine. And every person we met who worked there was warm and friendly and extremely knowledgeable. Wy wife believes this Hotel helped us enjoy San Fran in general.

Couple of really small gripes - I messaged them twice (via their website) to confirm our reservation but they never answered either query despite several weeks notice. And no kettle in the rooms is a bit of a nuisance ..... there is a coffee percolator so if that's your thing then great; but my wife and I drink tea so as I say a bit of a pain.

That said, if we ever get back to SF, there is only one place we will be staying - The Argonaut !

Stayed May 2014
Thanks, Saintsly7! It is so delightful to hear that your wife was commenting about how the hotel helped you to enjoy the city in general. We are pretty lucky to have this location, and all the neat history/character that comes with it.
Feel free to drop me a line with the details of whom you messaged when regarding your booking; we are normally very responsive to correspondence so that is alarming! As for the tea, yes, I know, the American way of making tea in a coffee pot is blasphemy to some of our foreign visitors, so please know that we are always happy to send the hot water up through room service. (We don't have the boiling kettles in the rooms themselves for safety reasons).
Thank you!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent place to stay in San Francisco. Traveled with three other women, and all the luggage, etc that is needed for a week of multiple activities, and the room was not crowded. The decor is every bit as charming as the pictures portray, but the room is actually more spacious than the photos show. We stayed in a Q/Q room, and there were 3 night stands, so each of us had our own light and a place to put items by our bedside. The room has an abundance of electrical outlets and charger stations for all the technology we now travel with. Very clean and comfortable, and whenever we needed anything they immediately sent someone up with it. I saw one employee dash off the elevator holding a travel size toothpaste tube some other guest required. Everyone I had contact with was polite, friendly, and efficient. The location is wonderful, the free wine hour every afternoon was much appreciated, and the restaurant has delicious crab and corn chowder. The Argonaut helped make our first visit to California a great experience, and we hope to return soon, and definitely choose the Argonaut again! Many thanks!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Hello, Y'all 4TexasGirls :)!
Thanks for visiting us and sharing your story. I know just what you mean about how all of our gadgets require the outlets, and of course the free wifi is key too. I'm glad the little touches and the service from the team made you feel right at home here in SF. We are indeed lucky to be one of the few hotels in town that has rooms big enough to accomodate two queens. Most of the city's rooms offer two double (or full) size mattresses, and no one wants to sleep that close to their companion--even if they don't kick in the night :)!
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

As are other Kimpton hotels I've stayed in, this one has a fun, hip atmosphere with warm, professional, responsive staff and the rooms are very nicely appointed. What makes this one stand out is the terrific location--right on the Embarcadero with all the crazy touristy stuff in one direction, and a marine park with outstanding waterfront jogging in the other direction. Some rooms have water views, although the fact that this is a historic warehouse does mean that the windows are a bit too small to give you an extensive view. RIght around the corner is a cable car stop that, if you have time to wait on line, will take you all the way down to the BART station on Market St. so you can go completely car-less. The on-site restaurant is okay--there are dishes such as the chowders that get rave reviews from others, although I didn't try them.

Room Tip: The King view room is nice, and includes a little sitting area with a sofa.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Hi, Byelka! Happy to see you are a Kimpton fan and you had such a great visit here with us. (If you're not already in our loyalty club, it's FREE to join... really!... but this is not the time for plugs.) I wanted to thank you for your review and let you know that the front desk does have some fun "Chowder Cards" if you'd like to try that famous appetizer on your next trip. The card is any hotel guest's passport to a complimentary crab & corn chowder appetizer with their entree purchase. It's definitely a highlight, and an award winner, so I hope we can hook you up next time!
Elk Grove, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Although we live in Sacramento, we stayed at the Argonaut overnight since we were going to a Giants game. We booked a king suite and I was very impressed with the design of the room. The suite was huge. It had a huge living/dining area and separate bedroom. Everything was very tastefully decorated. I couldn't believe that the dining table sat 6 people! The bathroom had a huge soaking/Jacuzzi tub that could easily fit 2 people. The staff was very friendly. Although there were few downsides there were a few: we were in suite 201 and we had to keep the shutters closed because we were street level and there were pedestrians walking by, the mattress is so firm that I woke up with a back ache (and I usually prefer a firm mattress) and we requested a crib and it never came (I was actually going to call down about it but then it was late so I just let the baby sleep with us). Since I only stayed there one night, I am not writing off The Argonaut and will definitely give them another chance in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi, Jenniferredd! Isn't that suite gigantic? I love those 900-square foot ones, and the super-deep 2-person tub doesn't hurt, either. Sometimes our guests will grab a glass of wine at the nightly reception and then enjoy vino and jacuzzi jets -- doubly relaxing! I would check into a suite myself one day but they're pretty much always booked :). Thanks for the heads up about the crib -- we'll make sure communication is at 100% between the front desk and housekeeping -- and in the meanwhile I'm thrilled that you'll be back! Also, though the beds are pillowtops, we can always add an additional layer of feather comforter to the bed to give you that extra cloud-like experience :).