“Great location; wonderful historic building”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The location if the Argonaut is terrific - right next to the cable cars, directly across the street from the Maritime Park, and in the quieter end of the wharf. The NPS Maritime Visitors Center is on the bottom floor of the hotel.

Our room didn't have much of a view, even though we booked a King Deluxe room. I would hate to see what views the cheaper rooms had, but I suppose you are really paying for the location.

The room was clean and well-appointed. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was great. The bathroom needs a better ventilation system, but that might be difficult in an older building. There was absolutely no street noise, as the windows were very soundproof. The walls in between the rooms weren't as soundproof.

There was a complimentary wine event each evening, which was very crowded and loud.

• Stayed: June 2014
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hello, iu92,
Thanks so much for visiting. I'm glad you got to check out the NPS Visitors' Center and take in some of the history of this neat older building. And, yes -- I'm glad the renovation did include the modern perks like double-pane glass windows :).
We do have different deluxe category views, and I'd be happy to talk through options for you before your next stay in case there's a particular location you'd like to request. We do hope to see you again! Cheers.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,942)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

My now husband and I travelled from Toronto to get married at San Francisco's beautiful city hall. I was in charge of booking the ceremony & license and he was in charge of the flight and hotel. He picked the Argonaut and I am so glad he did. Despite not being overly fond of the Warf craziness, I would highly recommend this hotel. It's beautiful! We stayed 6 nights and the room was lovely and comfortable, and the staff was so friendly and accommodating. They even sent champagne to our room the day of our wedding - it was so thoughtful.

The hotel has a gym which has free weights, weight machines and cardio machines. The restaurant was great for breakfast and lunch. It's also close to everything; the Warf obviously but also bike rentals, restaurants, ferries. etc. We biked over the Golden Gate Bridge one day and if you book through the hotel, there is a small discount. There was also a Rebecca Minkoff sample sale in the hotel one day!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel - the nautical atmosphere and the friendly staff is enough to make me want to come back!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi, Reese6, and thanks so much for sharing your wedding story! We're tickled to be a part of it, and now maybe we can see you for an anniversary to recreate the moment one day ;).

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Happy hour a nice touch. Knowledgeable staff and concierge. Bed comfortable. However, walls very thin! The two couples next door had a very busy and noisy night!
Great location to city centre and Fishermans wharf and trams. Although bought day passes and they were too full to get on later so had to use taxis too! Didn't use restaurant but they were very helpful in reserving us an area for drinks and birthday cake for my daughter.

Room Tip: Bay view and keep someone you know through the connecting door if you can!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks, bettybookworm! I love the image of everyone enjoying the birthday cake here with us and feeling at home. We'll share your praise with the staff and with the concierge in particular!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here for a full week in April over spring break. We had a corner, one bedroom suite. It was gigantic. Very nicely appointed. Nice furnishings, towels, sheets, etc. Housekeeping maintained the room very well. Very clean room and hotel. Nice atmosphere in the lobby and common areas. Large hotel, takes up a full block. Wine, beer hour was a nice touch, our kids had the apple cider everyday or water.

The location is fantastic!!!! The wharf is right out your door. Turn right and walk! Ghiradelli square is a block away to the left. Cable car stop is a block away to the left. Maritime museum in the hotel and some ships to board are across the street for cheap. Lovely park in front and to the left.

We used the Blazing Saddles bike rental right outside the door of the hotel to the right for our ride across the bridge. It is a must do!! We bought pastries from a place a couple of blocks over for breakfast each day. It was Near the walgreens. We thought it was better than the pastry place attached to the hotel building.

We walked everywhere. We even walked to the pier for our Alcatraz tour. Seriously, the location of the hotel is fantastic!!

We had some hiccups with housekeeping and our sofa bed. Didn't get resolved while we were there, but management was very apologetic after I filled out our survey after our stay. Concierge was great getting us transportation to and from the airport. They didn't know much about the food in town. I found that a little disappointing. Regardless, we looked at the menus outside the places and we found great food everywhere on our own.

We really enjoyed our week here!

Room Tip: Corner suite was amazing!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hi, there, Teresa,
Thanks for your review and for the feedback in April. It's nice to hear that you have fond memories of spring break and all the things to do in walking distance of the hotel! I should mention that for the early birds, we do have a handful of free hotel bike rentals to give out to guests each day (through the concierge desk, which opens at 8am and offers them on a first come, first serve basis). This can also be a great savings or "perk" to round out the visit. Though there is a bit of an incline between here and the Golden Gate Bridge, the ferry boat can tote you hope and soothe you with beer and bay views :).

Reviewed 17 June 2014

OK this hotel has some great things going for it: right on fisherman's wharf tourist area, very nice staff and pretty decent service. Heavy nautical (tacky if you ask me) themed decorations throughout.
The room rates are very very very high, as are some of the add ons ($48 for valet parking, really!?!)
I had problems with the room; room wasn't ready until 4pm. No biggie they stored my bags. Then first room i went to was noisy and had two beds -- full size, not queen, facing the cable cars. (I has reserved two queen bed)
So I asked for another room, at least a queen bed, or a king room, that was quieter. They gave me a interior facing room, but it smelled like cigarette smoke. I complained again, then they moved me to another interior room, which wasn't smelly.
They took care of me, but it took like an hour to get it all settled.
I ordered breakfast room service on the phone the night before on the phone, as they left no menu door hanger. I told them I needed it at 6am, it didn't show up until I called at 6:30 and they rushed it up. They comped my half the room service charge. They only service complete breakfast after 7:30am...not very business-friendly.

the room was clean, bathroom was clean. bed was pretty comfortable. they have these annoying pump dispensers in the bathroom instead of real soap, shampoo bottles. Felt like a holiday inn express in that regard.
Didn't eat at restaurant.

I've stayed at other Kimptons, that hit the mark better that the Argonaut. It was ok, service was ok....but not for the excessive price.
If you're a tourist and can get a competitive rate, you may like it.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quiet, rooms with view can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Hi, Noam,

First, thank you for your patience with finding the right room. I can reassure our future guests that all two-bedded rooms do offer two queens (versus the double / "full" size), though the smoke smell is very odd and definitely not okay by our standard. Perhaps someone's nose in housekeeping was off that day?... We certainly hope and expect that your next arrival will be smoother, and we do hope to see you back!

Although hot breakfast items are only available after 7:30am, we do offer the full variety of continental items (bagel, cereal), etc. after 6am and then we hope that the free wifi also helps out our business travelers. While we do enjoy a lot of popularity among the leisure folks, I just love welcoming those in business suits who choose to "hide out" at the waterfront ;).

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here back in feb ( sorry for late review)
Myself and 3 children.
Check in was easy and the receptionist showed my children the treasure chest to chose a present! Very friendly! And very exciting for the children!
The hotel is immaculate with loads of charm! I love the style!
Our room was stunning! And spacious with a lovely view.Bathroom lovely too with wood beams.
It is in a great location- it's easy to walk along fishermans wharf and to see the piers,shops and lots of restaurants near bye and the food was amazing!
Take the trams- they are cheap and fun.
Breakfast here was great also.
They have a free wine hour with hot choc for kids and hot toddy too.
If you book this hotel you will not be disapointed!
Only slight niggle was when I visited the wine bar for wine tasting ( not sure if it associated to the hotel) the bar tender told me he didn't like English people, I thought he was joking but it was clear he wasn't- his colleague( who was fabulous and very informative of the local wines) even had to tell him to be more attentive.
But all in all we were made very welcome in San Francisco, we can't wait to go back it was such a fabulous holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank, Michael, and happy anniversary to you both! 40 years is a great achievement. I have already shared your review and kind thanks with the team. We hope to see you at 41 :). Cheers!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Check in was very good, receptionist very helpful with a lovely greeting, as we missed their wine tasting by 10 minutes we were given 2 complimentary drink vouchers and as we had booked a evening meal we were given complimentary Clam Chowder, when we arrived at our room there was a bottle of fizz with a note saying Happy 40 th Wedding Anniversary, thank you Argonauts, room was brilliant and staff excellent, we would recommend this hotel, brilliant location, don't forget between 5-6 wine tasting & beer lovely touch, if it gets to busy, just retire to your room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014