“Price nearly doubled and night fire scare”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #11 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We have enjoyed stay at this hotel even the rooms are very narrow.

The price is about 450-500 now which really make he room feels extra small.

The night we stayed last week, fire alarm went out at 12:30am and everyone had to come down to the street level. There was no apology or explanation from the management on what happened.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank MdMontaigne
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hello, HLKEBB,
As I mentioned to the other reviewer (SoccerD), that fire alarm was a scare to us all, and totally out of the norm, so I appreciate your patience. I understood that the overnight team made an announcement (along with the "all clear") in the lobby to explain the situation, and I do regret that I took it for granted that everyone heard the updates and felt safe. Though I don't expect this situation to recur in the future, if it were to, I would definitely write and distribute a guest letter next time. Please feel free to drop me a line if there is a way we can make this up to you in your future travels!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here with family for three nights and found it to be clean, comfortable, friendly with an attractive nautical interior design theme throughout. From the start we felt welcome and I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a base from which to see San Francisco Bay. Hire bikes from bLazing saddles two doors down, enjoy a 10 minute walk to Pier 39 or pier 33 for ALcatraz. Then get the cable car (5 minutes from hotel) into 'town' for shopping! But bear in mind cable car queues can be up to 1 hour in high season. Loved hotel..... Very comfortable and would come again if and when we revisit San Francisco. Breakfast fantastic at Blue mermaid Chowder house which is attached to the hotel. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Shona B

Thanks, Shona B! We'll share your comments with the Blue Mermaid team as well. I just love their thick-cut bacon, be it in the quiche or on the lunchtime Ahi Tuna BLT.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was my first time staying near Fisherman's Wharf. I wasn't too excited about being in the middle of the action but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We spent two nights here after a Napa trip. The rooms are small, but very comfortable. The lobby is a cool place to hang out by the fire and enjoy some down time in between your busy day. The museum next door is very informative and interactive. I went on a run along the shoreline in the morning and it was so nice to be out before the throng of tourists. The location is within walking distance of Ghirardelli square and Fort Mason, among many other sites. I honestly think the food at and around the wharf isn't very good (mostly over-priced tourist spots). However the dinner and drinks at Blue Mermaid were quite tasty.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks, MGP626!
I'm happy that you enjoyed that early run along the waterfront. It's quite a view! Some of our guests also like to take out the free bike rentals or even swim in the Aquatic Park (not for me!).
If you hadn't had your fill of wine tasting, I hope you got to check out the neat Winery Collective tenant here at the hotel. They feature some very rare, limited production wines from our local area and their tasting flight experience is super informative!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Not the ordinary luxury hotel or business hotel. The theme of the hotel matches the atmosphere of the bay. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and nice. The hotel is right next to the cable car turnaround so good for sightseeing too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Hi, May-Tok!
This unique and setting-appropriate seaside vibe is exactly what we go for. We believe everyone should have a sense of place -- and, better yet, of the rich history of the city's waterfront district. Thanks for checking us out, and also for your kind review and praise of the housekeeping team and front-end staff!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After a week of couch crashing and camping, this was quite a treat for our last night in California. I absolutely loved the nautical theme and the location was perfect. After checking in we walked along Fisherman's Wharf, went to the sea lion-less Pier 39 (in summer they migrate south for breeding), got chocolate in Ghiradelli square and then ended with a fresh seafood dinner.

They have a complimentary happy hour 5-6. I don't drink but it was a nice touch. The jars of fresh cucumber-mint ice water in the lobby were more up my alley. So refreshing!

The only hiccup we experienced was a fire alarm going off at 12:30am. The entire hotel had to be evacuated to the street. A manager came out to inform us it was a false alarm but the fire department had to be the ones to come and turn it off. A minor inconvenience but with the overly comfy beds I had no trouble going right back to sleep!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kldiehl

Thanks, kmarte7!
I'm happy that even that alarm couldn't overcome the comfort of the beds. Great news.
It sounds like the hotel was a great home base for all of your adventures. We'll have to let the kitchen know their cucumber mint water was just what you needed when returning "home"!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in 3 rooms, & rooms messed up initially so a bit annoying at first. However, rooms are tastefully done, if a bit small!

Ours, 421, had a long corridor in it which was rather weird but did have a view of the cable car stop and the bay. The other 2 were both inland view. Good location for Fishermans Wharf but this area of SanFrancisco is a bit tacky and reminded us of a tired UK seaside resort without the amusement arcades! Lots of gift shops & fish restaurants and a Huge amount of beggars and homeless people which was a bit sad. Good location for the GG bridge and trips to Alcatraz though. Not sure why else you would come here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank FOXYSKI
Emily G, Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Hi, Foxyski,
I know that Pier 39 can have its share of crowds and so on, though I have so say there is so much more to do in the area, and we believe in helping guests "Live Like a Local" so we can point you in the direction of the other adjacent areas to the West and South of the hotel. Right here within a few blocks, I also recommend a visit to the Aquatic Park/Crissy Field areas, a boat ride (ferry or even catamaran -- great views!), or even catching the classic cable car next door, especially first thing in the morning before it becomes the hot item :).
Room 412 is indeed one of our few quirky queens. The smaller footprint is hopefully more than offset by the unexpected view of the park and Bridge. That said, the standard (interior) King rooms are often the same price and will be our normal large size, so maybe we will want to book that for you next time. I hope that helps! Take care.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Kimpton are always a good bet, but what we particularly liked about the Argonaut were the excellent, chilled-out happy hours, and the awesome concierge, Olivia, who off the top of her head pointed us to a tiny, off the beaten track, authentic and delicious sushi place that fitted perfectly with our location and evening plans.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Ist2014

Hooray! Thanks, Ist2014!
I have just shared this fantastic review with Olivia the concierge and her manager. She will be delighted to know that her recommendation was a hit and made your SF stay that much brighter :)