“Great Hotel with great service. Mistake made but corrected in timely manner.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
North Carolina
“Great Hotel with great service. Mistake made but corrected in timely manner.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2008

Very nice hotel with great location in Fishermans Wharf. The hotel used to be a Del Monte cannery and Kimpton has done a nice job of making it into a cozy boutique hotel with a nostalgic feel. Staff was very friendly and accomdating. Since it was my 40th birthday trip, the hotel staff upgraded us to a large room with a view of "The Rock".
The hotel accidently packed one piece of our luggage into another customers car. Thankfully the customer contacted the hotel once they arrived home (Lake Tahoe area). By the time we knew about the mistake we were in Monterey. Once the hotel realized the error they sent an employee to Lake Tahoe to retrieve our luggage and it was at our hotel in Monterey that same night. I understand mistakes happen and the hotel did the right thing by correcting their mistake quickly and professionaly.
A special thanks to Erin in Lake Tahoe area for notifying the hotel about the mistake.

• Liked — Location, pet friendly, and great service
  • Disliked — Internet available but not free on hotel computers
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NCexpat_travelers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,064)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2008

My husband had business in SF, so we made a long weekend out of it and booked the Arognaut for 2 nights, Fri and Sat.

I arrived at the hotel at 10am just to drop off my luggage and head out sightseeing, not expecting a room to be ready, but they had a room ready for me, so I was able to check in. We booked a King room with Bay View, and got exactly that. Nice size room, great nautical decor, nice change of pace from the typical hotel room decor. The view outside the window was of Alcatraz, Hyde St. Pier and to the left, The Golden Gate Bridge. It was perfect!

Hotel room was stocked with all essentials, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, cotton swabs and cotton balls, coffee maker with Starbucks regular and decaf, honor bar, ice bucket, glasses, all the usuals. Had a great charging station (that's what I call it because I had about 4 different chargers plugged in at once), clock radio with iPod dock, so you could plug in and listen to your iPod in the room. Nice touch.

Evening wine reception in the lobby was very nice, although the lobby was PACKED!!! Standing room only - barely. I was surprised to see a few dogs in the lobby and then remembered it was a pet friendly hotel.

Location of hotel was great for Fisherman's Wharf/Ghirardelli attractions, Alcatraz, etc. Also convenient to F line and of course the Hyde/Powell Cable Car. I noticed hardly any lines for the cable car in the mornings, but very long lines in the evenings. Hotel location was also great to access bus lines which are a great way to get around and see other parts of the city (yes, there is more to SF than Fisherman's Wharf!). Also convenient to the Fisherman's Wharf rental car facilities. Most within a 2 block walk.

The only thing that was slightly irritatiing was when the Concierge tried to steer us away from taking the bus to dinner in Pacific Heights, she really wanted us to take a cab. We asked about bus lines and she really frowned upon taking a bus. But she gave in in the end and directed us to the bus stop (although not the accurate transfer info, we asked the bus driver and found our way w/o problem). We ended up having a terrific dinner in Pacific Heights and it was such a lovely night, we walked allllll the way back to the hotel - it was downhill, thankfully. We wouldn't have walked back uphill the whole way! So, that's a tip if you want to get out and walk, have dinner somewhere up hill and walk back, makes for a great evening!

We did have a car one of the nights and the valet service was excellent. The guys were very friendly and helpful. Check in/check out was a breeze. Our request for a late checkout (1:00pm) was not a problem. We will definitely return to the Argonaut in the future!

• Liked — Staff, location, view
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank KayJay C
Padstow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

Great location, at the Fishermans Wharf and end of Powell-Hyde cable car.
The rooms were generally large with 2 doubles. We were initially given a very small corner room, but were upgraded very quickly and courteously after I expressed my disappointment.

The staff were helpful; the concierge got us tickets for the 49ers game and the doorman gave great advice on getting to and (more importantly from) the stadium. The hotel bar is part of restaurant so does not stay open late, but around the area are many bars and restaurants so no problem there. The hotel lay on complimentary wine tasting each evening, the only shame was that in a state where so much wine is produced, they only had Chilean and Spanish!

Our favourite restaurant was Ana Mara, a Vietnamese/pan Asian place with a very lively atmosphere, great staff and excellent food. It’s just around the corner from the Argonaut. Also highly recommended is a cocktail in the Carnellian, on the 52nd floor. Stunning views. Get there at 3pm when it opens for the best seats.

• Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Retreaters
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2008

We had a beautiful room with a king sized bed which overlooked Hyde park. The decor and furnishings at the Argonaut are of a nautical theme and are bright, cheery and relaxing! We LOVED our room! The bed was super comfortable and the room was quiet. They even provide cheetah print bath robes for their guests to borrow during their stay. Fun! Location was perfect for sight seeing, tourist shopping, restaurants, etc. Safe location. We look forward to returning to the hotel with our kids next time in the near future!

• Liked — Beautiful decor and furnishings! Cheery, clean and uplifting!
  • Disliked — Did not have a pool.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
GreatStayMakers, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2008
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent visit to the Argonaut Hotel. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy our amenities and proximity to all San Francisco has to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you plan to return with your kids for another stay with us!

Bedford, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

I stayed at the Argonaut for two nights beginning December 16.

I arrived very late (after midnight), so I didn't notice the valet parking when I pulled up. Luckily there was a spot around the corner. The valet met me at the door, let me in, and was very pleasant. The desk clerk was equally friendly and I was on my way to my room (482) in a minute or two.

Upon entry, I was surprised at how small the room was. It was also pretty cold. Otherwise, it was nicely decorated and cozy. The iPod-dockable clock radio was on and softly playing some classical music.

Because I am an inTouch member, a gift of a bottle of water and a bar of chocolate were waiting for me on the nightstand. Another pair of chocolates lay on the pillow. I thought that was a nice touch.

I turned on the heat and the room was at a comfortable temperature by the time I had finished unpacking. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The room was very clean. The shower was hot and the water pressure strong. The bathroom amenities were L'Occitane.

The only lapse in the otherwise excellent service was at breakfast the following morning. I had been given vouchers for a continental breakfast at check-in. I was hungry for a bit more than that and ordered eggs and sausage. The waiter brought eggs and bacon instead. When I pointed out the mistake, he returned with sausage, then disappeared. I had to flag down the hostess in order to get my check. The food was excellent.

With that sole exception, the service was every bit as good as I've come to expect from the Kimpton brand.

Thanks to a busy work schedule, I did not get to spend much time in the area around the hotel. From what I saw while driving, the neighborhood is very picturesque. This would be a great home-base for exploring the Fisherman's Wharf area.

A note for the budget-conscious: the parking rates are outrageous - $39/day plus tax (and tip) for valet parking. In their defense, it's my understanding that parking in San Francisco is uniformly insane.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank gcmanke2
Dear chemical_laser,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy your special amenities upon arrival as a Kimpton In Touch Member. We all appreciate your choosing to frequent Kimpton Hotels. Thank you for your patience and understanding with the timeliness of the breakfast and the cost of parking in San Francisco. I am happy to hear you would return to stay with us when you have more time to tour the City and ask you contact me directly to secure reservations if I can be of assistance. We look forward to seeing you with us again!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

Well from start to finish our stay at the Argonaut was absolutely fantastic! The location was better than we could have ever imagined - right next to the tram station on Fisherman's Wharfe. It was on at the quiet end very close to the bay. The room was extremely spacious with 2 queen beds, very clean indeed with daily maid service. We thoroughly enjoyed the wine tasting which was available every evening. We would definitely recommend this hotel to all our friends and family and would love to return again hopefully in the not too distant future!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
South California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2008

like the title says, great for families with kids, and first time visitors. although probably anybody would enjoy it. i'm just saying it's not an ideal serious business hotel. located on one of the most prime corners of fisherman's wharf, spitting distance from ghirardelli square, cable car turnaround, street artists, restaurants, shops, etc. but note: fisherman's wharf has much in common with, say, the venice beach boardwalk in california, times square in new york, fremont street in las vegas, numerous plazas in rome, any tourist-saturated "trap" full of "authentic" foods, local landmark snow-globes and refrigerator magnets, t-shirts, yada yada.
it's a wonderful walk, 15-30 minutes, mildly strenuous, to north beach and chinatown, which are must-dos. hotel is in great repair, nicely decorated, wonderful staff, free dsl internet in rooms, free wine reception at 5 pm, and a nice, quite good and, for the area, reasonably priced restaurant attached through the lobby, the Blue Mermaid. NOTE: i'd seriously avoid a room immediately overlooking the Dole courtyard; it's a magnet for drinkers and amplified street performers.

• Liked — comfort, staff, location
  • Disliked — read my review
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveler0991
GreatStayMakers, Hotel Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2008
Dear Heywood,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking your time to share your experience regarding our convenient location to local attractions and proximity to other neighborhoods. With the proximity to many great restaurants, attractions and convenient methods of transportation, we do attract many families during the vacation and holiday seasons, but also do have a strong following of corporate travelers throughout the year. We are located just over a mile from the San Francisco Financial District so that travelers can be adjacent to their offices, but also just outside to enjoy the other aspects the city has to offer.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the future if I can be of assistance with securing you a room with us in a location of the hotel that would meet your needs.