“Great location just on the outskirts of the touristy area.”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #10 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
florida
“Great location just on the outskirts of the touristy area.”
Reviewed 17 April 2009

This hotel is in a great location because you're right at the edge of the tourist area, but close enough to walk just about anywhere. The hotel is very nice with a nautical decor. The rooms were very clean and large with cozy beds and high quality linens. There was also free internet service. I am very picky about the cleanliness of hotels and I would give it 5 stars, the room smelled fresh and clean and was in perfect condition. Now the biggest downfall of this hotel is the noise. We could hear the people talking in the room next door and we didn't need to turn on our TV because we could hear theirs perfectly. I would say the walls are very thin! Another problem we were on the 3rd floor and had kids running back and forth above us until midnight. When we complained the front desk sent security to the room and the noise stopped shortly thereafter. Finally we thought we had peace and quiet and we started hearing rap music and a loud bass (boom! boom!). It was outside our window which faced the side street. We called the front desk again and they told us they couldn't do anything about it and we should call the Police. Well, not the answer I wanted to hear. I told them I wasn't going to pay for my room and would speak to the manager in the morning. The phone rang about 15 minutes later and they had sent security outside to find the cause of the boom! boom! and found it was a car parked on the street. They finally did call the police and the noise was gone, but it was about 1am and needless to say we had a terrible nights sleep. The next day the manager who was very nice offered us a room on the 4th floor (top floor) with a view of the bay. We moved there and it was very quiet and had a much more enjoyable stay. The staff were very friendly although they didn't have a concierge and when asked for a restaurant suggestion from the front desk they were not knowledgeable at all. The most helpful, friendly and knowledgeable person was the doorman. Not sure what his name is, but he was wonderful and offered great advice as to where to go and what to do. You are right by Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39, cablecar turnaround and can walk just about anywhere from this location. We actually took the cablecar to Chinatown and walked back to the hotel. It's a great area to rent bikes and ride to the Golden Gate Bridge. I would recommend this hotel, but stay on the 4th floor if you want a peaceful nights sleep!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new orleans
Reviewed 14 April 2009

It wasn’t the most expensive hotel, but I still had some better options that would have probably better suited my girlfriend and I. Just wanted to switch up the hotel location, from the financial district/union square area to some water, but from the guy playing the drums across the street, kids screaming next door, and kids doing back flips above us I would have preferred something less family/touristy and gone with a slightly more mature scene. They did give me some free wine in the Lobby probably to numb out the kids yelling. Pros were view of Alcatraz, price was fair, being a tourist is fun for at least 1 hour and there is a fair amount of T-shirt shops, tours and Dungeness crab places. Cons are Nautical theme might drive you insane if you take any psychedelic drugs, loud, and Tourist Traps are heavy in numbers. Next time going to stay away from this area.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Norway
Reviewed 14 April 2009

I have been working as a travel documentary producer for the last 10 years, and have stayed at my share of international hotels. However, the service level that the Argonaut displayed when our family of four turned up this April, blew me away. From we entered the hotel, everything was all "YES, WE WILL TAKE CARE OF THAT". And unlike some posh 5-star hotels I have been to, there was absolutely NO stiff upper lip.
The room (no.444) were beautiful, and more than big enough for the family. It also had a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge.
The free wine tasting in the lobby between 5pm and 6pm was a brilliant move, as it made it easy and natural for the guests to mingle and meet in a totaly relaxing environment.
The location is excellent, with a very short walk to all kinds of public transport, and on the fringe of the tourist area. This makes it easy to avoid the VERY touristy areas, but at the same time, it gives you access to the plus sides of the location.
If you plan to stay in San Francisco, I can recommend the Argonaut with all my heart, a superb and perfect establishment that are closer to 5 than 4 stars.

California
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We wanted to meet with family, be comfortable/quiet and see the Bay. We had a tremendous stay that met and exceeded all our criterion. Every staff person was very friendly and helpful - especially John the Doorman. Our room was gorgeous, on the top floor with a Bay view. It was very roomy and we enjoyed the nautical theme. The shutters kept out the light at night. This part of the wharf was very quiet - no outside or inside noise. The bed was very comfortable too! The location allowed us to walk around and see a lot. Very enjoyable - we will return!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 9 April 2009

I grew up in the SF Bay Area so have stayed in the city many times. My teenage daughter and I wanted to make a quick trip to the city over spring break and I found an incredible rate for the Argonaut on Expedia so decided to go for it. We stayed just for one night on April 6, 2009. As other reviews have mentioned, the staff was excellent. I left my cell phone in my car after the valet had taken it to park, and the phone was back at the bell desk in 10 minutes. There were a lot of kids at the hotel (spring break) and the family above us had kids stomping around. I called the operator to ask if they could contact the room and the noised stopped within five minutes. The rest of the experience was great, the hotel was overall very quiet especially compared to many of the hotels around Union Square where you hear garbage trucks in the middle of the night. The ONLY downside was that there wasn't any water (filtered or otherwise) in the workout room...and most hotels of this caliber provide that. Otherwise, would not hesitate to stay here again!

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Good hotel with very comfortable bed and stellar location, especially for families. Loved the decor, the wine tasting, and proximity to running and bike paths as well as the cable cars and other main transportation lines. BUT the walls are like paper. I was staying with my teenaged daughter and we were woken every morning (and once in the middle of the night) by our amorous neighbors. On the other side was a family with young children..also very loud. They really weren't that loud but we could hear EVERYTHING! So I can only hesitantly recommend the hotel as it is hard for management to guarantee a quiet room.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2009

Like other reviewers, I did a lot of searching before booking Hotel Argonaut from March 18 - 21. I favoured a hotel near Union Square but my partner wanted to be near the water. Many years ago we'd stayed at Fisherman's Wharf but figured Hotel Argonaut was far enough away from the tourist "tackiness".
Got what we thought was a good price on expedia.com for a 4 * SF hotel. Just missed out on a Deluxe King Room so booked the Standard King. We needed somewhere really comfortable after a long haul flight and we were not disappointed.
Arriving late morning and being warmly greeted by John the Doorman (what's nautical about a pith helmet??) and Kevin the Porter, we were pleased to find our room was ready. The desk clerk allocated us "a quiet room on the top floor" and it certainly was.
The room was bigger than expected and comfortably furnished. Bathroom was a good size with lovely Aveda toiletries.
All staff with whom we dealt were friendly and helpful. The evening Doorman (sorry, don't remember his name) suggested an Italian restaurant nearby which was delightful and the food delicious.
I'm sorry travelrunner had such a bad experience only a few days before us. Hotel Argonaut was everything we hoped for and more. Our room was blissfuly quiet (unlike if we'd stayed at Union Square!), the bed super comfortable and it was a most convenient location.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple