“I can't wait to go back to the Argonaut!”

Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
West Des Moines, IA
“I can't wait to go back to the Argonaut!”
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I stayed at the Argonaut last week. I was there for a class and the facilities and food were great. I was excited to stay in such a historic building and they didn't disappoint me. In fact, they more than exceeded my expectations. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. Everyone seemed to go the extra mile to make sure I had everything I needed.

The room was really spacious and comfortable. While the conference rate didn't allow me to have a room with a view of the Golden Gate bridge, I did enjoy ovelooking the courtyard.

The location was awesome. Just steps from Ghirardelli square, the cable cars and Fisherman's Wharf. I enjoyed the food at the Blue Mermaid Chowder House & Bar in the hotel and other restaurants in the area.

I can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,090)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 31 January 2010

This place was lovely! The decor was beautiful with a fun nautical theme without being too tacky. All the staff were very helpful and seemed to have a great attitude. The room was clean and in good condition, my only (minor) gripe was that there wasn't a fan in the bathroom and it got a bit steamy. They have free Wifi if you join the Kimpton members club (free, you just need to fill in an online form) and each day they had free hot chocolate hour and free wine hour in the afternoons, a great start to our nights out. Great location in Fisherman's wharf near plenty of tourist attractions and three different types of public transport within about 2 blocks of the hotel (including cable cars).

Would definitely recommend to anyone!

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
CaptainDavid, General Manger at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2010
Thanks so much for choosing us for your getaway and for writing such a fabuouls review of the property!

I'm glad you enjoyed our wine hour reception, it's certainly a great way to spend time with your friends. We're delighted to have you as one of OUR FRIENDS now!

Hope to see you again soon.

Best,
David von Winckler,
Holbrook, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We're just back from a six night stay at the Argonaut and we loved it! My DH, my four year old son and I decided to stay at Fisherman's Wharf but wanted a nice hotel; we found it! We got a great rate that included valet parking; I joined the Kimpton frequent guest program and got free internet and a "Raid the minibar" coupon when I checked in ($10 off a minibar purchase). We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, the room was a good size and comfortable and the location was great, with lots of restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Reviewed 29 January 2010

This place was so chic! I'm a discriminating traveler and found this hotel to be perfect for our recent visit to SF. I normally don't write reviews, but I rely on them when making a decision on lodging. So I decided I should pay it forward.

THREE THINGS THAT MADE THIS HOTEL:
(1) LOCATION right in the heart of fisherman's wharf and pier 39
(2) CHIC NAUTICAL STYLE: the rooms have character and the lobby has a classic sailing theme
(3) PRICE ($105 for a view room with two queen beds in Jan 2010)

If you are one of those travelers that uses the words, "luxury boutique lodging" in your google searches, I think you will be pleased by this boutique hotel. It's not stuffy like a Ritz Carlton, but more of a fun, relaxed atmosphere with style and class.
I was with my husband and 2 year old daughter and the rooms were perfect.
They even have complimentary wine, hot chocolate, and apple cider in the afternoons.
The Blue Mermaid is a restaurant attached to the hotel which was convenient when the downpour of rain came and we just wanted a quick bite.
They have conference rooms and a convention was occurring during our visit, but somehow it still had an intimate feel about the place.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank carissachandler
texasgirl-98
Reviewed 18 January 2010

We stayed at the Argonaut for two nights last week. Last time we visited San Francisco we stayed in Union Square so we thought we would try Fisherman's Wharf for this trip. We love the location of the Argonaut! We reserved a room with a view and could see the Golden Gate very well. When first checking in, the bellmen were very helpful and nice.

The hotel is right next to Ghirardelli Square and the street car turn around so it's very easy to get around. We purchased the parking package which means valet was included in our room rate and we were able to get our car as often as we needed without an additional charge. If you are bringing a car, this might be a great option for you. It was less expensive than paying for valet separately.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
CaptainDavid, General Manager at Argonaut Hotel, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2010
Thanks so much for this terrific review!

We are very happy you yook advantage of the Perfect Parking package as this does indeed save you some money on Parking with free in and out privileges.

More than that we are delighted you chose a room with a view of the Golden Gate. We are truly blessed to be in a location with one of the most beautiful views in the world.

Hope to see you again soon!

David von Winckler, General Manager
Boston, MA
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Argonaut for 4 nights on a recent business trip. We needed a comfortable place to stay, good internet service, access to nice walks and good food, and a friendly staff. The Argonaut provided it all, with complementary wine to boot. In fact, we got to the wine service 15 minutes late on our first day, but within seconds a bellman dropped what he was doing and asked us: "Red or white?" and returned in a minute with those welcoming glasses of wine. So, pleasant surprises, and no unpleasant ones.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Thanks so much for highlighting our friendly staff!

With all the comfortable and beautiful appointments at the Argonaut, we are most proud of our employees and their heartfelt service! (Wine Hour doesn't hurt any either :)

Our mission is to be the best loved Hotel -- period. We hope we made that connection with you and that we'll see you again soon!

David von Winckler, General Manager
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I am a hotel manager here in the Seattle area. Because of my position in the hospitality industry I view hotels a little differently than others.
Location:
The hotel is located on the wharf which is more of a touristy neighborhood. I was happy to see that the neighborhood had a ton of little shops and restaurants with-in walking distance. There is even a little beach area about two blocks away. Getting to the other neighborhoods isn't too hard - I walked to downtown a few times. From downtown you can use BART (public transit). The valet parking fee is really high $42 or $49 per night (I forget which). If you are out all day you can easily pay a couple of bucks and park on the city streets at night and then move your car before 8am in the morning - worked just fine. There is also a self park garage for $28 a block away.

The Hotel / Room:
I was worried that the design would be corny /campy. I'm not a huge fan of the nautical design. I think they did a great job making it work / not feel like a gimmick. The room itself was big (I had a deluxe) and clean. The hotel has a huge fitness room as well. Housekeepers did a great job cleaning the room. Older Tv's, but whatever. Comfortable beds, decent tub, Aveda bath products... I cannot complain! I did not hear one sound from another guest. There is a court yard that plays music until evening. If this would bother you, get a "street view". I didn't mind at all / it was kind of cool. (they have different musical artists just playing).

Service:
I found everyone I encountered to be friendly. I did notice there were a lot of times the valets / bellman would ignore us. I found myself greeting them out of habit (again i work at a hotel) only to get no response. There were only a few that did this as the others (you could tell) were professionals / took pride in their job. My requests were dealt with quickly. I'm pretty low key, so I didn't need much. Housekeepers did a great job and also said hello. Oxanna at the front desk was helpful. I asked to check out another room - the front desk easily and quickly handled my request.
Overall:
If you don't plan having a car and don't like walking and public transit, this is probably not the best neighborhood. If you are a first time San Fran visitor and want a nice quiet, clean place to stay, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Daveb518