“Cleaner than my own home. And I clean!”
Review of Taylor Hotel

Taylor Hotel
Ranked #208 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The hotel in right in the middle of the action, by Union Square. It was spotless. Also, the lady at the desk was so sweet and accomodating. The noise was a little much for me since I am not from a city and not used to so many trucks and cars. The microwave and fridge worked fine and they were happy to lend me a hair dryer. I would definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 February 2010

...if you don't have any expectations other than simply a place to crash for a night, NO MORE than two. Reasonably priced ($48/night online) for a room (about 10'x15') with a private bath in a good location. My room had a small fridge, a microwave, tv/cable, small closet, chest drawer with broken drawers. Be warned: They don't make the bed nor change the sheets nor vacuum nor clean your room, unless you keep hounding. You have to request clean towels and bathroom tissue, and then go claim them at the reception desk. No phones. No hair-dryer. You have to take out your own trash. Nothing you can expect from your normal hotel. Dingy, very dirty. There's stuff that have been on the carpet in the hallway for weeks, so you know they don't vacuum there either. Wi-fi is sloooooooooooowwww to the point where your laptop can freeze and crash. You are not allowed guests in your room. You have to get buzzed in every time. You have to pay for your entire stay UP FRONT. I paid for a month up front, thinking I could find a permanent place within that time, and I was told that if I find a place sooner, the rate would be pro-rated. I should have dug deeper. I was able to find a place in two weeks. Ashee (the owner, I think) does allow for pro-rated rates; however, he works out the numbers in such a way that whether I stay for the two weeks or the full-month, pro-rated or not, he's getting all the money either case. Sleazy.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I stayed there for like 5 days or so. Short notice trip to SF and did a quick search online and found The Taylor.
The hotel's location is very good, close to transit, BART, various sites, etc.
The room I stayed in was kind of 'dirty'. The bathtub/shower was 'greasy', don't think it was cleaned in quite awhile.
The room's carpeting was kind of questionable, felt grimey and greasy, dirty.
The hotel as a whole has not been updated.
They don't clean while you're there, nor provide towels or room service. I think if you ask, they might, not sure though.
If you only need a place to sleep at nights, it'd be fine. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Oh, they have cable TV and a fridge in the room, which is good.
No telephone though. Wi-fi, yes.
For such a good location, it's definitely a bargain for SF.
I might stay there again, not sure though.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank PieHole99
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Well, this past june my hub & I spent 4 nigths at the hotel. First thing that surprised me was they did not do the room any day! we actually had to do the bed ourselves, and did not give us clean towels at all, nor cleaned the bathroom.
It is true that it's near almost everywhere you want to visit, but, otherwise I would not go back ever. By the way, the "breakfast" is just coffee and one pastry, if you are lucky enough to get one before they run out of them.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ilovetotravelmucho
Reviewed 29 January 2009

Whenever I come back to San Francisco, I'm staying here. The family that ran the hotel were very nice and helpful. We stayed 4 nights here. I felt safe here, you had to be buzzed in by the owners. It was very quiet, well except for the traffic but it's the city so I can't complain about that. Prices were very reasonable. Great place for someone who is one a tight budget.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Taylor Hotel is a decent and surprisingly inexpensive hotel, located right in the heart of downtown San Francisco, near Union Square and all the restaurants, clubs and shopping. It is just 2 blocks from the cable car route on Powell St, 4 blocks to the BART station, and has bus routes all over the place right out the front door.
In its price range, which is $40-$60 per night, this is just about the only downtown hotel to offer PRIVATE bathrooms. That alone should be reason enough - one trip using backpacker hostels is quite enough, thank you! The furnishings are spartan but comfortable. The bed is fine, the closet is enormous, and the chairs and tables are functional. The TV gets local cable, not that limited hotel cable, and there was a mini fridge in my room as well. The shower gets HOT HOT water, which is quite nice after a long day walking around, and the views out the front are really lovely (I was on the 4th floor).
The elevator is the old fashioned style, with the folding iron gate. You HAVE to remember to close the gate when leaving the elevator or it will not move. Only once in the 5 days I was there did I have to use the stairs because somebody didn't close the gate, and that's not too bad overall.
The staff is friendly and courteous, and made my stay very pleasant. I will definitely come back to this hotel again!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank aardvark3
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We arrived on a Wednesday and left first thing on Thursday: what a horrible place!!!

Strange things happened: we needed to pay in advance for the full period we wanted to stay.
We started discussing, but that was the only way that was acceptable to them. But to me this was very strange to pay for a week in advance… but we were tired after two days traveling… so we wanted to go to our room and sleep…

And when we finally went to our room there was no hot water in the shower. The room stank, was not clean, I found rubbish behind the curtains, the floor gave you a feeling that it wasn’t cleaned in quite some time. The tv remote controler was not working, but not replaced. Internet was not working properly and at some rooms not at all…

And it gets even worse when I was trying to do my email, I was sitting on the bed, and all the sudden I started scratching… I could not find what was causing it… but saw little swellings on my armes and legs…

So next morning we wanted out!

Then we had a big discussion to get our money back: we only could get a part back, and we took our loss. But maybe my story will be a warning for you....

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business