“Elegant small hotel”

Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
Ranked #55 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We have stayed in the Union Square area of San Francisco many times. We often choose hotels based on what deal is available at the time.We chose the Hotel Adagio based on reviews and location. The hotel is lovely and elegant. The room was spacious and the bathroom was clean and refurbished. The location is one block farther than we would have wanted, but the walk was worth it. The happy hour at the hotel bar was good and the staff was great. There is even Starbucks coffee and teas available for free in the lobby as well as flavored water--a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper level for a nice city view.
1  Thank CaliforniaLeslie
Adagio_Mgr, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear CaliforniaLeslie,
We love to make raving fans of our hotel = thank you for the 5 stars. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we made it well worth that extra block walk! As you stated, our rooms are on average some of the biggest in the city, we’re glad you like the updated look.

We look forward to your next trip = we’ll keep the water fresh and flowing ready for your arrival!

Michael Pace

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I don't know this area of SF well yet, but it doesn't seem too great...although I've learned SF has more beggars than other cities, its still safe.

The hotel is nice. My room is really nice. Tidy, large and a good friendly staff. I recommend this hotel. There are many restaurants and other convenient stores nearby. The only reason I didn't give a 5 was the 3 people who harassed me a little note street as I walked to Walgreens.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear LaurieAndMikeWander,
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are in the heart of downtown as you mentioned, and as such we do have a variety of street folk. As you noted, we do have nice large rooms with staff that makes it easy to smile throughout the day.

I’m glad that our hotel worked for you and you enjoyed your trip to San Francisco, we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel was great! The rooms are very spacious and bright, with great views of the city!!! Hotel staff very friendly.... Also in a good location to union square, although will warn people that the block it is on is a little iffy.... Would highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey S

Dear Stacey S,
We love Birthday Weekends and we’re so glad that you loved yours too! Thank you for noting our large rooms and great views. We’re so glad that you found our hotel to be accommodating, friendly staff and great location and that you found it worked well for you.

We look forward to your next stay = maybe another weekend getaway?!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I had a choice between the courtyard and this hotel, the choice I made was wrong.. I waited for 8 minutes to valet my car at the hotel with no attention. I could not overcome this awkward moment to my stay at this hotel. The upgrade to a skyline room was another bummer, the heating/ac unit did not work. The engineer was sent up and he discovered it was not plugged in.. I said not plugged in, he laughed saying yes I do not know why they went with this setup.. The ceilings have cottage cheese , the elevators are ugly and old.. The hot water in the shower takes 10 minutes to get hot. We shortened our stay to one night because of this ugly, non boutique classless building.. I will never stay here again.. The courtyard in the financial district is so much a better place to spend your money.. My wife is a platinum elite member ..

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bear2336

Dear bear2336,
Thank you for your review and letting us know where our service was lacking. We are continually making room for improvements with our service training and staff training overall. I’m very sorry that you didn’t receive anything but top notch service during your stay, which is definitely not what we strive for. Obviously we didn’t meat your – or our – expectations of service.
We strive to give all of our guests great service each and every stay. Should you be in the area again, we would love to show you what our true hospitality. Please call me at the hotel and we’ll make sure your next stay is great.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Hotel Adagio has made nice improvements with room and lobby upgrades. The tub/shower area of the bathrooms remain a bit dated looking, but the rooms overall were nicely updated (except for the popcorn ceilings which could go).

Lobby entrance is nice and this hotel offers a good alternative to The Clift just down the street. You will be on the border of an iffy neighborhood but that is what you have to deal with in these Union Square adjacent neighborhoods.

A very good get especially if you can get on a Marriott special rate. Not sure I would pay the standard rate if there were alternatives to choose from.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear 2MillionMileMan,
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for noticing our improvements. We continue to make improvements to our hotel overall and to the rooms themselves. As you stated, the area is very near Union Square and all of the vibrant and dynamic things that this great city has to offer. We’re glad that it worked for you and we look forward to you returning.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Left another Marriott in frustration, and booked here instead. Lovely little boutique place, nice corner room as a Platinum upgrade. Neighborhood is interesting, and gets sketchy pretty quickly as you go west on Geary, but close to everything, and good public transport access. Staff very obliging. My new favorite in SF.

1  Thank cormy
WarmRegards, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

We are very flattered to be your new favorite San Francisco hotel! Thank you for your 5 star review on your recent stay. It's fabulous for all of us at Hotel Adagio to have earned your guest loyalty and we are looking forward to serving you throughout the coming year!

Best,
Michael Pace, General Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I am really torn on how to review this property. I really like the rooms, the design and the decoration. It is a nice boutique hotel. The location is close to Union Square, but more in the Tenderloin district...which isn't as bad as it used to be. My issue with the property was customer service. The front desk was NOT responsive to needs at all. I had issues with connecting to the internet and even though I kept telling them it would do not good to send engineering up, they insisted on sending someone up. Of course he couldn't do anything. I asked for a tech support number and and they didn't know it. When I finally found it on my own, I was on hold for so long that I kept having to leave for meetings and was never able to get through to them. When I finally got through to them it was late in the evening after another 30 minute hold. It took them 2 minutes to fix the problem, but I went most of my stay without internet. I actually checked out a day early and went to a regular Marriott property. When I checked out I pointed out to them a billing issue and requested that they make sure that they fix it so that I didn't have to call once I got home. I had to call! Overall they were very nice, just not very efficient. If you don't run into any problems, it is probably a great hotel.

1  Thank cubfaninco

Please accept my sincere apologies, cubfaninco. Your experience with the internet connectivity and untimely attention to this matter is unacceptable. Thank you for not only bringing this to my attention, but for also noting the effort you kindly made during check out to point out to our front desk staff that adjustments need to b made. I have followed up and addressed the details you have described with my staff and appreciate your patience with us. It is my sincere hope that we will have the opportunity to show you that Hotel Adagio is all that you expected and more. We are a team that is more than happy to go the extra mile and promptly handle guest request or issue. Again, I am extremely sorry for failing to deliver the impressive stay that you deserve. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Michael Pace, General Manager