“getting better all the time”

Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection
Ranked #55 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Had a fabulous stay, everyone was ooo nice and helpful. I was charged 35 bucks for my 16 dollar breakfast, which was really just a mis-communication and they fixed it all up. The rates used to be much more friendly….
i got an early check in and i loved my room!

Room Tip: I would have someone dust the tops of the window sills
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Adagio_Mgr, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

M P – thanks for the 4-star review! We will continue to improve our service and will pass on the message to the remainder of the management team.

I’m so glad that you loved your room and we were able to accommodate an early arrival – we look forward to your next visit.

Michael Pace

Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. I checked in on a Thursday night after a day at a client, and was flying home to the east coast on Friday evening, so I planned to work from the hotel room most of the day Friday. The hotel gave me a nice corner room on a high floor upon check in. I had a car and ended up parking in a parking garage across the street overnight. The hotel is on the border of the Tenderloin district in S.F., so the streets outside have more than their fair share of panhandlers and sketchy folks wandering around, but most of them are quite harmless, especially if you don't scream "out of town visitor" when walking around. It is just a couple of blocks from Union Square in one direction, so there are plenty of nice places around it, but you just need to be aware of which direction you are walking, especially late at night; but generally no big deal.

The lobby and bar area have been redone very nicely and there is a small restaurant downstairs The bar (Mortimers) had some $4 draft selections at night and you can order food until late so that is good.

The room I had was great; it had a great view of downtown San Francisco and was very clean and well maintained, even though the hotel is a very old building that was apparently gutted and remodeled. It was also very large and had a unique floorplan which made it seem more special than your average downtown hotel room.

The staff were all nice, and were very accommodating. I have the late checkout as part of my Marriott elite, but as I had a late flight and needed to work and make phone calls a little longer, the desk let me stay a little past that even, which was very appreciated.

All in all, I really like the Autograph collection hotels and will try to stay in them whenever I can, and the Adagio was no different. Well done!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank resolutejb

Thank you so much resolutejb for your great take on our hotel – we love getting reviews like this that we can share with the team – to make sure that we’re giving that same great, consistent service with each and every guest!

Looking forward to your next visit from Atlanta – bring the sunshine with you again!

Regards,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

When I visit San Francisco, I want to stay at a hotel that doesn't feel like it could be in any other city. Therefore, I try to stay away from massive chain hotels that cater specifically to business travelers. There is certainly a market for those hotels, but I want something that has some charm. The Hotel Adagio was built in the 1920's, and feels like a boutique hotel from that time. However, it has been updated with a beautiful modern decor, and provides all the modern conveniences.

Our 10th floor room was a good size, which is surprising for a San Francisco hotel. It was immaculately clean, and everything seemed very well-kept. We had several large windows that offered a nice view of the city and the hills, yet felt far away from the noise of the city streets below. The Union Square area can feel very urban and crowded, and our room offered a welcome respite from the hustle & bustle.

I was very impressed by the friendly service we received, whether at the front desk, from the concierge, or at the nightly happy hour at Mortimer's (the in-house bar). Every person I encountered was professional and courteous.

I have stayed in hotels closer to Market St. before, and found them far too loud and busy for my taste. The Hotel Adagio is only a few minutes walk from there, but felt worlds away from the crowds. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor for the view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LongBeachTripper

We love your 5-star review LongBeach Tripper! I will definitely pass the compliments onto the staff, they adore getting compliments and knowing they made a great impression.

We’re looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

Front desk staff was great and my Gold Elite status allowed for a free breakfast each day of my stay. Restaurant had excellent breakfast options and good service. The bar's "happy hour" left a bit to be desired though...staff wasn't very friendly OR "happy", but the food was ok. There just wasn't a whole lot of selection for happy hour priced items. All in all though, this hotel has decent amenities and all the necessities for an enjoyable business trip which included a little pleasure too!

Room Tip: Beds could use more of the non-feather pillows. The feather pillows basically flatten out like panc...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Robiriv for the great review – we loved hearing how great your stay was with us. We will pass on the message to the staff to amp up their smiles!

See you again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I loved staying at the Adagio. The lobby was totally chic and beautiful. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was amazing - huge, comfy and filled with thoughtful amenities. Room service was yummy -- not mind-blowing but totally great. My husband, two-year-old and I had a great stay. As some other people mentioned it is in a transitional area, but we felt safe and loved every minute of our time there. We'll definitely stay again the next time we're in the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Albiontravels
Adagio_Mgr, General Manager at Hotel Adagio, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you Albiontravels for the lovely review – we’re looking forward to see you and your adorable family again very soon!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I choose the Hotel for it's excellent position, but to my surprise fell on an absolute Jewell! It was charmingly decorated, the rooms were big, cosy and extremely comfortable. It was clean, and the staff was efficient and very polite; professionals in short. Breakfast was so plentiful, that I could actually skip lunch. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone, whether on a family holiday or on a business trip. It's so conveniently close to everywhere, that it facilitates your getting around. Super good deal!

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the street, but on the elevens floor, it was still very quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Uschi A

Uschi A - Thank you for the Raving 5-star Review!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I would rate the property 5 stars, but the Area surrounding the hotel isn't great. We have two small children under the age of three and we didn't feel safe walking around.
Whitney was extremely helpful. She takes pride in what she does. By far one of the best.

Room Tip: Our room was very spacious and clean.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cynthia R,
We are pleased that you found Hotel Adagio to be a friendly and accommodating; however, we regret that your overall impression of our famous Geary Street left you unimpressed. There is a homeless population in San Francisco, and we are sorry to hear that this influenced your experience.
Please know that our hotel and direct area surrounding our hotel is certainly safe. Our prime location near Union Square and many other attractions allows our guests the convenience of walking to visit so many exciting sites our city has to offer. Thank you for your time in giving us and others your thoughts and opinions. We are hopeful that you will change your mind and return to our hotel.

Best,