“Overcharged, Dirty, Terrible Service”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA
Ranked #203 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Need I say more than the title. I made a reservation through their reservation site for one night at $107. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there for check-in or check-out. I guess they figured they could get away with cheating my wife since she wasn't paying attention and they charged us $119 for the room. This is a comparative between the base price of the room on the confirmation and the base price of the room on my bill. They also advertised $22 per night parking and it was really $25. The people at the front desk were rude and basically unhelpful. This was a cheap hotel but up the street at the Best Western I could have gotten the same rate and I bet it would have been a nicer room and they wouldn't have secretly cheated me. We also had a room facing Hallam street and with no AC we had the window open all night smelling cigarette smoke from the street below.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, check out the best western up the street.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank trvln_steve

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The only reason I am giving America's Best Value SoMA two stars is because the lady at the front desk when we checked in was very, very nice. No, that's really the only reason.

The bar downstairs honestly didn't bother us at all - it was quite soothing white noise to sleep to! But other than that...

I stayed here recently with my wife and my best friend, and it was incredibly disappointing. The "newly remodeled building" they advertise only stretches to the outside and maybe the lobby. The room was absolutely terrible. It was small and dirty, with carpet way past its prime. Our room had a refrigerator probably older than I am, that was -sitting on the floor-. Not on a table, just right on the floor. Our sheets were torn and did not seem clean. Our curtains were disgusting. Our tub was clean, but the bathroom floor itself was nasty.

We weren't in the room too much - honestly, just to sleep and shower - and we did not experience bed bugs, but you couldn't pay me to stay at this hotel again.

Oh, not to mention the smoke detector in our room was just... missing. Completely gone.

The #1 complaint? So much for complementary wifi. Our internet did not work a single day we were there. We were told it 'worked in the lobby', but when I pick a hotel based off it having free WiFi in the rooms... well, I expect that in the rooms.
This place was cheap, but it was not cheap enough to make it worth staying at again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessi L
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We (group of 6 Irish folk) are just back from a 3 week tour of California, and all agree that this is one of the best accommodations we had the good luck to stay in. Considering the price we paid, the location was excellent and the rooms were of ample size. However, the hidden gem here is the friendly staff - Manika at reception has got to be the sweetest most helpful person we came across during our entire stay in Ca. Her advice was invaluable and she just couldn't have done enough for us during our stay in SOMA. If you want luxury, go spend! However, if you want a clean room at an affordable price, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Caroline L
Reviewed 5 March 2013

the service was really bad!
the people there are not friendly at all. we actually needed to extend our staying and got a bad service.
the "breakfast" (if you can call it like that) was only a coffe and a cupcake.
the really bad part - our room was right over a bar so during the weekend it was very noisy and we couldn't get some sleep!

on the good side - nice restaurants on the block.

don't go there.

Room Tip: don't sleep on the rooms that face the street. specially not the one who over the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Just got back from a 3-night stay at the Americas Best Value Inn & Suites. Overall the hotel is average.

The largest downside in my opinion is the location. SoMa is a diverse neighborhood in transition. There is a mix of warehouses and auto repair shops combined with art spaces, loft apartments, bars and restaurants. The area immediately around the hotel is safe however if you venture a few blocks out it can get dicey. The hotel is about a 10 minute/0.5 mile walk to the muni subway and trolley car stops at the Civic Center/UN Plaza stop. It can be sketchy walking to and from the hotel from the station and there are not a lot of people on the street.

Room – large, clean and quiet. Nothing over the top but for the price I paid the room was a very good size, had a TV, queen size bed, bathroom, mini fridge, closet, desk and a view from the 4th floor of downtown SF.

Breakfast – they just give you coffee (with powdered creamer), juice, and boxed muffins possibly from Costco or Sams.

Service – It’s a small hotel so don’t expect over the top service. After 10pm you must swipe your room key to enter the building. The staff was helpful in getting the internet fixed which did not work for the first 24 hours I was there. Staff also assisted in scheduling a shuttle to the airport for me - $15 and goes right to the airport in 25 minutes.

Value – booked the hotel through a package with Expedia that included a round trip flight from NYC JFK. For what I paid it was a pretty good investment.

Overall verdict is the hotel was good but the location was not. I would prefer a better location in a better neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We booked on line and even the taxi driver did not know this hotel.
Rooms vey, very poor quality, bath room substandard and the bed, what can I say, as we could not sleep because of the bed bugs, got bitten all over, both my wife and I.
The street noise was going all night, shouting from the homeless that were on the corner opposite.
Moved out the next day, as we had another 9 days in San Francisco

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ken H
Reviewed 19 November 2012

The America's Best Value Inn is a FINE budget option for travelers to San Francisco. Nicely located near plenty of restaurants, bars and nightclubs in the convenient SOMA neighborhood near Folsom and 7th, the hotel provides a nice clean basic room, many with kitchenette consisting of microwave, fridge and sink, for half the price of many competing hotels.

The breakfast is a basic selection of fresh muffins, coffee and juice, and the televisions in each room are old-style non HD, but at this price you can't really complain. I have heard other travelers complain of noise from the bar downstairs on the Folsom Street side, but my room on the Hallam Street side above the hotel entrance was very quiet. I will be back!

Room Tip: The 4th floor deluxe king rooms are worth the few dollars extra.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo