“Cheap hostel pretending to be a hotel”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA
Ranked #190 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco, California
“Cheap hostel pretending to be a hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

This place is a shack. Lots of homeless in the area. No parking on site. They dare you to either park on Folsom ave or pay $30 for valet. On Folsom your chances of your car being broken into is well above average. Their valet is not available after 11pm so they tell you to go park at a lot 2 blocks away. I'd rather pay more and stay and one of those inns where you can park your car on site.
Interior of the hotel is outdated and the walls and the floors are thin so it's very noisy at night. I paid hotwire price for this hotel for one night and still felt robbed. Breakfast was another joke but I wasn't expecting much after staying overnight at this joint.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bums

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

1) No A/C
2) floors and ceilings are made of thin and old wood so the second you or someone below you takes a step, the floor creaks, so you can hear people above you going to the toilet at 3 in the morning.
3) $30 per day parking
4) no breakfast, even though it was advertised as a motel with complimentary breakfast.
5) small and dirty rooms
6) extremely slow internet service
7) 2 very load bar / clubs next to it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else,
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank diablo676767

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Berkshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I don't normally write a damn review, but I've not been here 24 hours yet, and I'm on my 4th, yes 4th room - dirty, appliances don't work, grubby bedding, hairy bathrooms. The staff are trying very hard, but the place needs gutting, rebranding, deep cleaning and smartening up. I'm here for another 4 nights, and at this rate, I'll be looking for another place to stay.

My first room had a shattered window, that by the looks of the dust, had been broken for a while, and the wall had a bloody hole in it, no effort to hide it or cover it up. The carpets are from another age and I've not see TV's this big since the 1990's - outrageous

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel was old but well maintained and had all of the essentials necessary for a 10 day stay. It was nice to have a kitchenette and refrigerator with a desk, bed and bath. I could purchase food and beverages and use the free Internet to do work. But the hotel is located in an undesirable pocket of the neighborhood and could use some updating. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby and it is relatively close to shopping and activities.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very good hotel on a Nice place clean rooms very big. THE walk to THE cable car is only 15 minute. And very thing is in a spot of 3 mijl so its easy to get there. Very Nice staf good coffee. Supermarkt on THE corner

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Davis, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Need I say more than the title. I made a reservation through their reservation site for one night at $107. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there for check-in or check-out. I guess they figured they could get away with cheating my wife since she wasn't paying attention and they charged us $119 for the room. This is a comparative between the base price of the room on the confirmation and the base price of the room on my bill. They also advertised $22 per night parking and it was really $25. The people at the front desk were rude and basically unhelpful. This was a cheap hotel but up the street at the Best Western I could have gotten the same rate and I bet it would have been a nicer room and they wouldn't have secretly cheated me. We also had a room facing Hallam street and with no AC we had the window open all night smelling cigarette smoke from the street below.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here, check out the best western up the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank trvln_steve
Lynnwood, Washington, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

The only reason I am giving America's Best Value SoMA two stars is because the lady at the front desk when we checked in was very, very nice. No, that's really the only reason.

The bar downstairs honestly didn't bother us at all - it was quite soothing white noise to sleep to! But other than that...

I stayed here recently with my wife and my best friend, and it was incredibly disappointing. The "newly remodeled building" they advertise only stretches to the outside and maybe the lobby. The room was absolutely terrible. It was small and dirty, with carpet way past its prime. Our room had a refrigerator probably older than I am, that was -sitting on the floor-. Not on a table, just right on the floor. Our sheets were torn and did not seem clean. Our curtains were disgusting. Our tub was clean, but the bathroom floor itself was nasty.

We weren't in the room too much - honestly, just to sleep and shower - and we did not experience bed bugs, but you couldn't pay me to stay at this hotel again.

Oh, not to mention the smoke detector in our room was just... missing. Completely gone.

The #1 complaint? So much for complementary wifi. Our internet did not work a single day we were there. We were told it 'worked in the lobby', but when I pick a hotel based off it having free WiFi in the rooms... well, I expect that in the rooms.
This place was cheap, but it was not cheap enough to make it worth staying at again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
The Good Hotel
#186 of 227 in San Francisco
Music City Hotel
#124 of 227 in San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA? Share your experiences!