“Friendly, knowledgeable staff, excellent location”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA
Ranked #203 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Made reservations via telephone, came to SF for a club venue concert had a great stay! Excellent customer service, very helpful and considerate! I used my club card and slept in late because they have late-check-out and our room was discounted! Wonderful stay, thank you Americas Best Value Inn & Suites-SOMA for being ontop!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less stomping noise from neighbors Offer club members late check-out
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 March 2014

They lied about prices, listing $134.96/night with taxes & fees, listed $30 for oversize valet parking on their website, but when we got there they charged an extra $15 for the room and $35 for the parking, the room was a normal hotel room, older, creaky floor, smelled of men's cologne, but the real treat was the blood spatter on the walls in the bathroom, not just a little, all 3 walls that weren't the shower had blood spatter on them. Got home, and found a $192 charge on my credit card, called for an itemized bill, and discovered that the $134+15 wasn't WITH taxes & fees, it was without, so add another 15%, awesome. Never staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Matt_NV
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Best room is #400. Top floor, end of the hall and only one neighbor to the left. No rooms on the other side of the hall. Clean, quiet where I was, most of the clerks were friendly and helpful with exception of the 2 females. I needed to be close to my job without spending a ton of money so it worked just fine for me. Other guests were quiet types, business and small families. Negatives, maid service didn't replenish my coffee (and I tipped beforehand), only one thin blanket (I like a cool room and warm bed) ceiling fan was dirty. I left a feedback card with the front desk that morning and that evening all was corrected. A little shabby, a little funky but I would stay there again and would recommend to my co-workers. We are all Independent Contractors and road-hardy thrifty types.

Room Tip: Shower handle turns on Up and Down, temperature left and right. That took me a while to figure out.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We booked this hotel on short notice mainly based on some reviews that said it was a good value for the money...but it really wasn't. Perhaps if you are traveling alone and don't plan to be there much and don't have a vehicle it would be adequate. The rooms are tiny, mildew in shower, floors are incredibly squeaky and you can hear through the walls. I literally have never been in a building where the creaking was so loud. The cable was not even screwed into the television when we arrived, every lamp in in the room was unplugged and the mini fridge was sitting on a tiny end table - and fell off when the door was opened. (It was just odd) The parking situation is not good - it was thirty five dollars a day to park a mini-van because it is considered an oversized vehicle and you had to request your car 30 minutes before they would bring it. The neighborhood has lots of homeless people and one gentleman decided to pee on the side walk right in front of my wife and kids- classy. The hotel said it had breakfast - but when I took my two boys down in the morning all the was was juice/coffee. One of the workers fumbled around for a bit and came back with a box of tiny muffins. It was at that point that I cancelled the remainder of our stay at the hotel and found another location that was cheaper, included parking and an actual breakfast and had queen beds instead of full beds.

That being said, the staff was very nice. They quickly cancelled our reservation and adjusted our bill accordingly.

Room Tip: You have to have the top floor or you will not get much sleep
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank I_Gotta_Go_Somewhere
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Wish we were told they had no parking. We were on a schedule and so parking situation was not ideal. I tried my hardest to stay quiet as the front counter girl was argumentative I felt. Customer service could be better. Breakfast was just a muffin. But we would stay here again - we liked it otherwise.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel for Folsom street fair in September. Easy check-in. Friendly helpful staff. Good security and crowd control. Room size is average for San Francisco. Rooms are clean. If you need a hotel that is in a great location near to the nightlife. This is the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank GayTrvlrUSA
Reviewed 28 November 2013

At $53+tax, I wasn't expecting much but this room was great. OK, it's not luxurious, but it has everything you would expect, and I had a comfortable night's sleep. I was genuinely surprised to see the room had everything you would expect to see in a hotel two or three times the price. And the bathroom was much much better than I have seen in cheap hotels.

The location is pretty decent, only a 10 minute walk from Civic Center station, so it's really fairly central. The only thing is that there is a bar downstairs and it's NOISY. Ask for a high floor and take earplugs! Also, there is no air conditioning and my room was very hot in November; I dread to think what it would be like in warm weather.

Room Tip: High floor rooms should be quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business