“Good, but noisy, location”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #164 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
hanford, ca
“Good, but noisy, location”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I thought I would be able to tolerate the noise since I once lived off the same street years ago. Wrong. The Muni was noisier than I recall. I highly recommend ear plugs (or something stronger).

Mostly clean. Dated. Seems safe. Serves the purpose.

It was $110 here or $350+ at the Courtyard Marriott. Hmm. Extra change in the wallet means more fun money in SF. Not a hard decision to make.

If your visit involves UCSF or you would rather have spare cash in your pocket and spend little time in your room, grab some ear plugs and make a reservation.

The location is good. Walking distance to Golden Gate Park. Walking distance to coffee shops and dining in Cole Valley. Walking distance to the Haight...if that is your thing. Jump on the N-Judah and head downtown for $2 (although I think there is a rate hike in the near future).

Not a dream hotel, but it works.

Room Tip: Room 218 would be my choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank myleeann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Columbus, oh
Reviewed 24 June 2013

It is located 20 feet from the train tracks, and the Muni train will keep you awake at night as it comes roaring. The rooms are incredibly outdated, even the nonsmoking rooms smell of smoke. It is very cheap and thus is a good value in SF, especially if you want to be close to UCSF.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jessiby

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

RENO,NV
Reviewed 15 June 2013

It's a great stay for my son and I when we went to UCSF Medical Center Parnasus, SFO for his medical appointment. CARL HOTEL is accessible for both the Muni train and bus, there's Wallgreen and small restaurants around the area. THE HOTEL STAFFare nice and accomodating.. We occupied a room with 2 full beds, with TV and a very good WIFI. I think this hotel offers the lowest price within the vicinity of the hospital.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank star4virgin
central california
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I needed a place to sleep and take a shower while visiting my mom in the hospital. That's exactly what I got at the Carl. It was walking distance and clean. It's an old hotel but for the price can't be beat! The man at the front desk was very accommodating. He even brought me an extra pillow and had a blow dryer for me to use. There was a microwave and refrigerator in the room. I stayed on the first floor and the Muni does run right next to the hotel and is loud but I am not a light sleeper and was not affected by it at all. Twin size bed and a small table and chair make it just big enough for one. I would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank momndadplus2
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We always have family stay at the Carl when they come to town. It is very reasonably priced and the staff is friendly and helpful. If you don't want to stay in the hectic downtown area, this is a great option, especially if you've got business on the West side of the city. The rooms are pretty small, and the convenience of being right on the N Muni line brings a bit of extra noise, but other than that it is a great spot.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, as the staff for a room as far from the Muni as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank MacKenzie H
kuwait
Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel will be your choice if you are hiddeng to the UCSF medical center . Either you are a patient or a visitor the location of this hotel is just excellent & very near to the hospital . The rooms are really clean but small with a microwave & small freg. The reception employee are really helpful in everything . The only disadvantage is the muni ( metro ) which passes near the hotel in Carl street . Safe to stay with your family .

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank msmq8
North Salem, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2012

My daughter and I were visiting my other daughter who has recently moved to San Francisco. The Carl Hotel is 1/2 block from where she is living! So we booked it! And we were so pleased!
The hotel is not plush, rather old European style... but clean and well cared for and we LOVED our stay! The convenience is amazing ! A couple of blocks to Golden Gate Park, to Haight Street and a MUNI line out your front door!! Easy access to downtown ! What more could you ask for!? Our room was comfortable, good mattresses, hot hot shower, all we needed and the price was right!!! We will stay at The Carl Hotel again!! If you haven't been to San Francisco, get ready to climb the hills!

Room Tip: We had a room on the front on the 2nd floor on Carl Street where the Muni goes by ( most rooms are...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family