“Excellent Cheap Hotel with Great Location”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #168 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed in room 108, which was unfairly bemoaned in earlier interviews. The room is certainly small, but it was very clean and spacious enough for me to feel comfortable doing work in the room during the day. There is some street noise from the muni that runs down the street, but I had no problem at all sleeping and I'm a relatively light sleeper. The hotel staff was excellent and very helpful. The location is great - a quick walk to UCSF, Haight-Ashbury, Golden Gate Park and numerous great restaurants/bars. Given the price for the bay area, this hotel is awesome. If I am ever in the area again, I will certainly put this hotel at the top of my list since it is safe, clean, with friendly staff and free wi-fi in a great location at 72 bucks a night.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank acoest

Reviewed 6 January 2010

I was very impressed by the Carl Hotel. The service was fantastic. They even let me come back after my interview to change even thought I had already checked out. The rooms are nothing special, but they have everything you need, including a fridge, microwave, and free wireless. It's the best location if you need to go UCSF for an interview or anything else, and the price is fantastic. It's just a few blocks from the Haight/Ashbury area and Golden Gate Park, so it's very easy to explore the city from here.

Cons - lots of street noise if you're on the ground level, but only a problem if you are a light sleeper.
Single bed
If you need a fancy hotel, this is not for you.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank coachvu
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Both times I have stayed overnight in Frisco, I chose Carl Hotel because price and location were my main criteria for where to stay in the greatest city on earth. Carl is a great pick. On my first visit my girlfriend and I paid about $70 for a ground floor room facing the street. On the first night we had trouble sleeping with the light rail running right outside our window, but on the second night we got used to it and had no trouble sleeping. On my second stay I was given a room on the second floor with the window facing Stanyan street and the noise wasn't a big problem. The front desk people were always very courteous, the room was tiny but clean complete with a microwave and an (albeit tiny) television set with cable. A short walk to Golden Gate Park, Haight Street, SFSU, and some of the best restaurants in the city.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
7  Thank Dylan1967
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Especially in room 108. It was a shoe box. Full size bed pushed up against the wall. No clock, hair dryer, bathroom sink in the main room, no closet, dirty carpet, no screen on window, very noisy, no parking, tacky place. We were to tired and to lost to complain or try to find another place. We have to return to the city. . .will stay somewhere else. . .for sure!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hdt92
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Definitely follows the saying of "you get what you pay for."
The Carl Hotel needs some serious upgrading, or minimally some fresh paint and carpeting. BUT, it's a cheap stay, relatively clean, and in a very convenient location.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Joyroll
Reviewed 9 August 2007

I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay while visiting my son who lives in the Haight area. When I found the Carl Hotel, I was suspicious that it would be unsafe or dirty because the price seemed too cheap for San Francisco...I had my son check it out, and he gave it a thumbs up, so I took my chances, and was VERY pleased. Sure, the rooms are small, have old furniture, bland decor, and some of the carpeting looked worn, but everything was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower had good water pressure, and you can't beat the great location in Cole Valley, a quiet residential neighborhood near the light rail line...One block away is Cole Street, where you can grab coffee or breakfast, and only a few blocks to Haight St, where even more restaurants and stores are..Also very close to Golden Gate Park, which is a great way to spend the day...The two "negatives": the light rail line runs right in front of the hotel, so at night, you can periodically hear and feel it as it goes by (after the first night, it didn't bother me at all). The other slight negative is that there is no one on duty in the early AM or late at night, so if you need info. or want to check out, you may not find someone to help you. Because I was leaving at 6am, I checked out the night before, which was no problem.
Other than those two small issues, the Carl was a great place to stay, and if you're just using your hotel as a place to sleep and take a shower, it's the perfect choice.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank curlyBJS
Reviewed 16 September 2006

I needed to stay close to UCSF when my husband had surgery there last fall. We stayed there a few weeks before for a pre-op procedure and stayed on the second floor. It was a small but clean room. My only complaint was the muni train noise (it didn't run all night thank goodness). When my husband was in the hospital I spent the first 5 nights at a B&B. They were booked for the last 3 nights that I needed to be there, so I switched to the Carl. To save money, I stayed in one of the ground floor rooms. Tiny with only a twin bed, shared bath, water took forever to get hot but it was clean. And I did have a mini fridge, a microwave, a small cable TV and a hair dryer. The Muni Train was less noisy; it was more the vibration. But hey it was only $55.- plus tax a night. And again it was clean.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled solo