“Great location to visit loved one at UCSF Medical Center”
Review of Carl Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Carl Hotel
Ranked #170 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 2 October 2010

The room was small but clean and affordable, just what I was looking for. I could walk to the hospital (UCSF Parnassus). I did wear my ear plugs to drown out some traffic noise but overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank SusanAnacortes_WA

Reviewed 8 September 2010

We needed a cheap place to stay near UCSF. There are no elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage, hopefully you are strong. And if you have a lot of luggage, the room is very small. There is a fridge, microwave, and free wi-fi! The bathroom is very small and makes funny noises sometimes and the sink is in the bedroom itself. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, but since the hotel is directly along the Muni line, it can be very loud, so bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Everything was pretty clean, however quite old.

The location is great, in Cole Valley by some nice restaurants and shops and the Muni stops right in front of the hotel. Also this area is not touristy like Union Square and quite safe. We were not sure how long we needed to stay at the hotel and they were flexible with the cancellation, just 24 hours notice. The staff were also very friendly.

I would probably recommend this to friends who want some place cheap just to sleep, but not for my parents or people with more picky tastes.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ricerca
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed in room 108, which was unfairly bemoaned in earlier interviews. The room is certainly small, but it was very clean and spacious enough for me to feel comfortable doing work in the room during the day. There is some street noise from the muni that runs down the street, but I had no problem at all sleeping and I'm a relatively light sleeper. The hotel staff was excellent and very helpful. The location is great - a quick walk to UCSF, Haight-Ashbury, Golden Gate Park and numerous great restaurants/bars. Given the price for the bay area, this hotel is awesome. If I am ever in the area again, I will certainly put this hotel at the top of my list since it is safe, clean, with friendly staff and free wi-fi in a great location at 72 bucks a night.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank acoest
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I was very impressed by the Carl Hotel. The service was fantastic. They even let me come back after my interview to change even thought I had already checked out. The rooms are nothing special, but they have everything you need, including a fridge, microwave, and free wireless. It's the best location if you need to go UCSF for an interview or anything else, and the price is fantastic. It's just a few blocks from the Haight/Ashbury area and Golden Gate Park, so it's very easy to explore the city from here.

Cons - lots of street noise if you're on the ground level, but only a problem if you are a light sleeper.
Single bed
If you need a fancy hotel, this is not for you.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank coachvu
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Both times I have stayed overnight in Frisco, I chose Carl Hotel because price and location were my main criteria for where to stay in the greatest city on earth. Carl is a great pick. On my first visit my girlfriend and I paid about $70 for a ground floor room facing the street. On the first night we had trouble sleeping with the light rail running right outside our window, but on the second night we got used to it and had no trouble sleeping. On my second stay I was given a room on the second floor with the window facing Stanyan street and the noise wasn't a big problem. The front desk people were always very courteous, the room was tiny but clean complete with a microwave and an (albeit tiny) television set with cable. A short walk to Golden Gate Park, Haight Street, SFSU, and some of the best restaurants in the city.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
7  Thank Dylan1967
Reviewed 20 September 2009

Especially in room 108. It was a shoe box. Full size bed pushed up against the wall. No clock, hair dryer, bathroom sink in the main room, no closet, dirty carpet, no screen on window, very noisy, no parking, tacky place. We were to tired and to lost to complain or try to find another place. We have to return to the city. . .will stay somewhere else. . .for sure!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hdt92
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Definitely follows the saying of "you get what you pay for."
The Carl Hotel needs some serious upgrading, or minimally some fresh paint and carpeting. BUT, it's a cheap stay, relatively clean, and in a very convenient location.

Stayed: November 2008