“A Charming B&B”

Monte Cristo Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 72 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I treated ourselves to a weekend in San Francisco. This B&B was recommended by a friend who lives in the city. Top rate place. Could have been 4 stars. We stayed in room 18 on second floor. King size bed. Window was a light well - very, very quiet plus private but we still had light from outside. Recently remodeled. Nice dinner at a neighborhood Italian place called Osteria. You must also try B Patisserie - a French bakery that has the most authentic French pastries in the city. Good coffee and even sandwiches if you want to lunch close by. About 5 blks and an easy walk. We did not have a car and used taxis, our feet and the muni buses to get around. Safe neighborhood.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Fairoakien

Reviewed 8 May 2014

As a repeat visitor to SF, I was looking for a place that was comfortable, within walking distance of places I need to be close to, and warm. This is it. Jack, the host, is so gracious. The rooms and common areas are tidy and comfortable. In a city that is always bustling, it is a quiet haven to return to. The rooms are quiet - mine faced Presidio and I wasn't bothered at all by traffic. The sweet surprise? the bathroom! Great shower and other amenities. :) Food and coffee are great and the staff is so accommodating. I will return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank seekingsun45
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to play "tourists" in the city where he lives. So we spent the night at this sweet little place. It had beautiful decor, the bed was very comfortable, and the lady who served us breakfast was adorable! She really went out of her way to make sure we had everything we could have wanted to eat and drink that morning. The only thing was that the window of our room (10) gave quite the view to cars passing by, so be careful as you're walking by, or you might give someone a show. :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smcrawford38
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here in May of 2013 on the advice of a relative. What a charming, wonderful, inviting bed and breakfast. I can't remember which was better, the bed or the breakfast. I stayed in the Tiny Room and really slept well. The common rooms were so inviting that I spent a lot of time in them reading, watching TV and enjoying the coffee and treats. The breakfast was amazing, cooked to order with absolutely the best crispy bacon I have ever eaten. When I arrived, I had not had lunch and they graciously provided a small meal that only whitted my appetite for more. I bought a Muni transit pass since there are multiple bus lines right in front or only a short walk from the hotel. I am so happy that I stayed here and will return again.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms on their website and read the descriptions. First floor rooms have more light on t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TinkerFan90254
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was my 3rd visit to San Fran. and this place made it the best! I had 2 not very p;easeant stays at other places--Nob Hill Inn and Laurel Inn --STAY AWAY from both!!! Stay at the Monte Cristo! So clean-extra quiet-not tacky imitation antiques like so many other BandB's-great breakfast -and the bus #43 at your door. Very safe and secure building that was the best bandb I ever stayed at and I have had many dissapointments up and down the East coast where I live. The price is the same as the dumps--so please -try it! I used a BedandBreakfast gift card -that is not honored at too many places in San Fran- but it is here! I wish I had found this place 3 yrs ago on my 1st trip because I think my son is moving to Portland for work-so I might not be visiting SF again.

Room Tip: I stayed in rm 16 on the 2nd flr facing the back. There are steps that are maybe not good for the e...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank nickPhila
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Very homey feeling in a turn of the century environment, at the best area of San Fransisco. Friendly service and wonderful, luscious homemade breakfast with fresh fruit, baked goods and great coffee! Rooms are cozy, clean and romantic. Recommended!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mia F
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at the Monte Cristo Bed and Breakfast on a recent trip to San Francisco with my girlfriend. We stayed in the Suite (Room 1). It was an amazing stay. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the antique decorations were delightful, and as silly as it sounds I now feel cheated whenever I use a toilet that doesn't have a bidet seat like our room. The breakfasts in the morning were great as well, they were the perfect start to our day. I should also mention that the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. We arrived in a rental car and parking on the street was pretty easy and straight forward. Also I can't stress enough how comfortable the bed was. San Francisco was amazing, and the trip culminated with my girlfriend becoming my fiance'. She also loved the room and if (when) we come back to San Francisco we will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple